shropshire

"Need!!" new hand-held GPS unit

Hi peeps,

My Garmin Vista has just about turned it's toes up and gone to the great GeoCaching site in the sky...

So, I need a new GPS... which one are you currently usig and why?

I MUST have a barometric altimeter and my preference is towards Garmin but if anyone else is using say a Megellan and likes it, please let me know.

Cheers all,
Tony

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

i use the garmin c550 streetpilot. it was 600 when I got it, not only 200. bummer. Last time i was in the store, there was a huge flatscreen garmin, but it did not have an internal battery.

defidently go with Garmin though.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

What are you going to be using it for? The Vista is a solid unit and comes in a compact form factor, you can also pick them up for less money than any of your poll choices.

With that said, the colorado looks cool and sort of iPhoneish but after playing with it, I wasn't convinced it was worth ditching the Vista. The scroll wheel is neat but it can be popped off and lost. It's a neat way to get through the menus but not worth the price of the unit. The Colorado didn't feel as solid in hand as the Vista either.

The 60 CSX is a very good unit and very similar to the Vista menu format and function. The color screen is nice but it drives the price up considerably just for color and a small increase in size in comparison to the Vista. if you can do without the color screen, you can save yourself some money by going with the GPSMAP 60 in grey scale. Form factor of the 60 series is not as compact as the Vista. Unless you have an insane amount of map information, the SD card slots and larger internal memory on both units will hardly be worth the increase in price IMO.

The one slight advantage of both units over the Vista is the newer GPS chipsets which are capable of maintaining sat lock in challenging situations. For what it's worth, I've used my Vista in triple canopy jungle, inside aircraft and while under a parachute. Unless you don't mind spending more money or are not happy with the Vista, I would point you to the Vista first. If I had to pick one out of the 2 you listed, it would be the 60csx for it's function and durability.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Cheers Lou - great review thanksB|

Primarily I'll be using it for for Paragliding (that's why I need the Baro Alti) and Walking.

My Vista was fantatsic and has given me great service.

I've just read some bad reports about the Colorado (lock ups and very poor battery life) But the 60CSx is another solid unit (so I'll probably go for one of these).

P.S : I've just found out that the Colorado does not have a Way-Point proximity alert - so it's pretty useless for PG:( - Nice screen though:)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I loved my eTrex Legend (that I lost after leaving it on the roof of my vehicle when I drove away) and I love the Map 60Cs I have now. I really like the slightly larger screen of the Map 60 series compared to the eTrex series. Whatever line you go with, I would definitely get one that allows use of an SD card to increase memory. It's nice to have the option to plug in MapSource maps and use it in the car for directions as well.
Killing threads since 2004.

I am big fan of the rhino series as the walkie talkie featuers are great to have, my wife and I share the same trails from time to time but we often get separted by distance as she travels by horse and I hike. the rhino is awesome for where you at moments?
I also use it for kayaking, geocache hunting and all other stuff that I do I guess.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com