peanutgallery

I need a change...

Sooo.....grew up in Long Island, moved to Hawaii to live with my then boyfriend, then followed him back to Connecticut where he became my husband and I finished grad school and started my career as a teacher....he is now my ex husband and I am stuck in the middle-of-nowhere CT where I have no family and there is not a whole lot to do. I feel like I need to get the hell outta here but it's SCARY and I think that's how people get stuck for good.

LI's out...too expensive. Dad's in Florida...retirement central. Mom's in Wisconsin....tooo cold. Brother's in Southern California....love it there but also, very expensive.

Any suggestions? Anybody absolutely love where they live? It's gotta be somewhere where teacher's salaries are decent and cost of living isn't super high. I love the outdoors, hiking, kayaking etc. And of course, somewhere near a friendly dz, a built in set of new friends would be nice too :)
Anyone else ever just pick up and move, not knowing anybody where you went? Guess you could say I'm having a not-so-mid-life crisis [:/]
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke

Zephyrhills Florida comes to mind

Yeah, there's no old people there! :P

Seriously, I don't think they pay teachers very well in FL.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Sooo.....grew up in Long Island, moved to Hawaii to live with my then boyfriend, then followed him back to Connecticut where he became my husband and I finished grad school and started my career as a teacher....he is now my ex husband and I am stuck in the middle-of-nowhere CT where I have no family and there is not a whole lot to do. I feel like I need to get the hell outta here but it's SCARY and I think that's how people get stuck for good.

LI's out...too expensive. Dad's in Florida...retirement central. Mom's in Wisconsin....tooo cold. Brother's in Southern California....love it there but also, very expensive.

Any suggestions? Anybody absolutely love where they live? It's gotta be somewhere where teacher's salaries are decent and cost of living isn't super high. I love the outdoors, hiking, kayaking etc. And of course, somewhere near a friendly dz, a built in set of new friends would be nice too :)
Anyone else ever just pick up and move, not knowing anybody where you went? Guess you could say I'm having a not-so-mid-life crisis [:/]

I always likes New Mexico, I understand its not to expensive yet. It is gorgeuos there. I have picked up and moved so many times i stopped buying any furniture or other such items. All i needed was a bed and a hot plate. Could get both at any yard sale.
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

Nope, they don't. I checked out the area my dad is in, Orange Park, just south of Jacksonville and was not impressed with the schools at all. Also, it seemed to be very transient as I think a lot of Florida is. I wouldn't want to go much further south as I like the change of seasons.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke

Then shoot for the Carolinas or Northeast Georgia. Seasons, mild winters. Teaches do ok in Georgia. I thing the Carolinas are a little lower, but so is the cost of living. If you have any real property up there, you'll do ok transitioning down here. One thing-if you're gonna teach...we like the way we talk:P

You are only as strong as the prey you devour

Anyone else ever just pick up and move, not knowing anybody where you went?

Yep, I did that when I moved to Southern California. It was sort of scary, but I met a lot of people pretty quickly at the dz. And I had a blast for about the first year that I was out here, but I can't say that I love it out here.

The only time that I've absolutely loved where I lived was in Austin, TX, so I'd recommend that as a place to check out. Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do, and there are a few friendly dropzones nearby. I usually jumped at Skydive San Marcos, about a 45-minute(?) drive from Austin, and I loved that dz.

But I don't know what the teacher's salaries are in Austin, and last time I looked, it looks like the housing prices have actually gone up there (as opposed to the serious decline out here in SoCal).

Oh, and Austin's a pretty dog-friendly town, so you probably wouldn't have a hard time finding a place that allows dogs.

Anyhow, good luck in your search. :)

You just described Perth Western Australia B|
Great weather year round, loads of outdoor stuff to do, very dog friendly, beaches and parks.
I'm a teacher also and i eanr a decent living and have been able to buy my home and pay for a world trip. So the pay and cost of living arn't too shabby:)
Come on MOVE to OZ, You know you want to :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Then shoot for the Carolinas or Northeast Georgia. . .

Ooh, I'd love to live in North Carolina for a while. And that's a great place for someone who loves hiking and kayaking. Not to mention the good BBQ out there (and that means a lot, coming from a TX BBQ snob!).

Spokane, WA. The DZ is open April to Nov. Many lakes within a 30-60 minute drive. Rivers and the like for kayaking. Mountains for hiking. Skiing in winter. Dog friendly apartments. Cost of living not too bad. Teachers make a decent wage relative to the rest of the working units. Typical for this area, base salary, 183 day contract=
http://www.cvsd.org/documents/HR/Salary_Schedules/2007-08%20Base%20Certificated%20Salary%20Schedule.pdf

Friendly people.

Close to Lost Prairie.

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

you'd have to learn the language!
:D:D

No she just needs to get used to saying
WHAT?
excuse me, could you repeast that,
I'm sorry what was that?
HuH?
:D:D:D:D

Look into the respective State Boards of Education. I do know we have a straight swap arrnagement with Canada.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

No she just needs to get used to saying
WHAT?
excuse me, could you repeast that,
I'm sorry what was that?
HuH?
:D:D:D:D

Hey, that sounds just like me and my Aussie husband! I swear we get in more arguments just because we can't understand what the hell each other is saying. :D:|

John Hart, founder of Team Fastrax and the nicest person you could ever meet, opened Start Skydiving in Lebanon, Ohio last year and things are hopping.

Teachers salaries in Ohio are great; and the cost of living is among the lowest in the country. We'd love to have you join us. Two turbine aircraft and the best coaching in the world; plus, we're planning on doing a big-way camp this year.

Blue Skies!
Ed Lightle B|