ladyskydiver

Phone access - Vonage, Skype, other????

I'll be moving out of my dorm mid-August and will no longer have access to the phone system provided by school.

I'm planning on having internet access when I move out and am looking to get a phone system that runs via internet (and one that's inexpensive).

Which would you go with and why? (I know there's more out there than Vonage and Skype but couldn't think of the names so please give me suggestions. Thanks!)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I've been really happy with Skype. It's come in very handy when traveling with access to a satellite internet connection but no phone service. I'm not sure I would want to rely on it in the event of emergency though.
Killing threads since 2004.

Lots of people down here are using it. They get the number (and equipment) stateside and then bring it down here. It's worked for them (so far).
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

T-Mobile is going to be offering VoIP here soon. Not sure how it would work in St. Kitts though.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Lingo!

I used to be a full-time telecommuter, so I have tried them all - Vonage, Skype (I really hated skype, I cannot even tell you how awful the sound quality and delay were, even over a 12MBit business-class connection), Comcast, etc.

Lingo has been the cheapest ($22/month) and absolute best quality. VERY easy to use - you just plug a little box into your cable modem and a real phone plugs into that. You don't have to have the computer on at all to use the phone, which for me was a big deal.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.