ThirdWorldMedic

Isa MT-1XX rig good for a newbie?

MT-1XX HALO rigs work well for students who weigh more than 220 pounds.
For example, Pitt Meadows has a military-pattern 340 square foot canopy for big students.
Military-surplus parachutes can be legally jumped at civilian DZs provided they are packed in accordance with their original military manual.
You definitely need a military-surplus manual and I would also encourage you to hire a military-surplus rigger.
If you want to "sporterize" your MT-1XX (BOC or Cypres retrofits) you should hire a Master Rigger.

Speaking of Automatic Activiation Devices (AADs), the original military AADs (Irvin Hitefinder, KAP-3, FF???) are pretty crude. Your minimum standard should be an FXC 12000, but these days, most schools use electronic AADs like Cypres or Vigil.

I completly agree with Riggerrob on the issue of the Mt1. I am not just saying this because I have two, but they are well built. As to somewhat say that they are overbuilt for the cilivan market.

Surplus models can range from 500 to a 1000 dollars. As far as that I would suggest that if you are looking to buy one that you have it checked by a FAA Rigger formilair with the MTI..IE ex- or current military riggers.

Paying attention to the DD form 3912 or 10-42 for records of jumps and if the rig was ever used in salt water operations... Not that this is bad for Nylon but if it has not been rised fully and timly can be.. Easy to check in the seems of the container etc,....

If you want a rig that will give you years of good use try it and enjoy.

thanks,

Ken;)
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

I jump both the MT-1XX and the MC-4. Canopies are virtually identical, so the rig type is not an issue. As to whether or not they are "beginner gear", I would say maybe. They are large, slow and heavy - 50 lbs -and somewhat uncomfortable - not to mention ripcord deployed which will most likely be at odds with the training you receive. It will be unusual to find one with less than 100 jumps, but perfectly serviceable rigs are on e-bay occasionally. Some will have packing documentation but most will not.

I have the MC-4 manual in a PDF. If you need a copy PM me and I'll send it to you. It has more information on the rig than you will ever want/need to know, but the packing sections are great to have for your rigger to use. Some DZ's/riggers will hassle you about TSO issues, but they ARE legal to pack/jump. Military riggers would be ideal, but any rated FAA Senior can pack the reserve for you. I side pack mine due to the voluminous quantity of material in the canopy - not to mention the weight.

Thank You Riggerrob! I appreciate you guys taking the time for an informative response. Your info is duly noted. Thanks for the heads up on AAD's, was'nt thinking that far ahead I will probably go with a Vigil. I will start lookin' for one! TWM

If you decide on the MT-1XX or MC-4, be careful about your AAD. The main is a two pin set-up and as the container is literally huge, your AAD may have to be custom made. I inquired about a CYPRES for mine, but between the two pin set-up and the required longer cables, it was VERY expensive.

I guess I just wonder why you want one. I'm sure they're perfectly useable and safe, but what advantages do you see over a sport rig? I can understand it for extremely large jumpers, but 225 isn't so big. It seems to me you'd be buying one big pain in the ass.

Dave

Well Dave- In part because I am a third world medical volunteer and I am meeting req's to join an airborne medical team and thusly, need ability to tote additional gear for remote insertions. Also, I generally choose structural integrity over esthetics in certain issues. Yeah, it probably will be chunky and funky: but it'll do til I get some experience and go from there. Thanks for writing, I appreciate your views! Jeff

Dunno how many jumps you have so far, but I'd say don't buy anything until you've at least gotten your license and talked to your instructors. If you're learning to jump JUST for the airborne medical team, it might make a big difference in what you'd want. But that sort of jumping is probably very different from sport jumping. What you want for each one may not be the same. Being stronger doesn't necessarily make a military rig better for sport use. Our rigs have a lot of advantages for what we do with them. Military rigs are purpose built for a different task. For example, ripcord deployment systems have nearly been phased out of sport equipment because they can cause certain problems and are harder to pack. A 370 square foot canopy would be a pain to pack (I assume it has to be flat packed?) and would probably have you grounded on days with moderate wind when others can jump safely. Military rigs aren't designed for freeflying, so while stronger, it may not be safer. Already it sounds like you'll have AAD problems. Does it have an RSL?

I know almost nothing about that rig. It may be perfect for you. But just make sure you understand what you're buying and what else is out there and why one may be better than another.

Dave

I loaded the mt-1xx at 1:1 as a student from jump one,and would say it is a perfect student canopy for larger folks like myself. The one thing to look for is de-mil'ed canopies in which means the lines are cut on the canopies. Not a big deal to replace the linesets on the main canopy but you won't find a rigger who will reline a reserve. (at least that Iknow of and doubt any of themwould, but what do i know.) Where you will have difficulty in my opinion is proving the reserve was never used for anything but a reserve. (again the problem I have dealt with) As fro legally jumping one,yes you can legally do so, but as I found not many dropzones will let you(at least this is what I have dealt with here on the westcoast) As for as the AAd thing, I have the plans around here somewhere to retrofit a cypress with a two pin cutter in which a master rigger can perform, if I remember correctly the retrofit was going to cost about $250. So all in all, is a XX or MC a decent rig? Yeah for some of us it is the only choice to start, but at your weight I don't think it is the way to go. Good luck, and if you have any more questions PM me, I have a bit of experience with the legallity thing and the problems you night/will encounter if you decide to buy one.
"GOT LEAD?"

In part because I am a third world medical volunteer and I am meeting req's to join an airborne medical team and thusly, need ability to tote additional gear for remote insertions.

Well in this case it sounds like you will be using the rig for just the purpose it was designed for. At 225lbs plus the 50lbs of rig and what ever additional gear your strap on, it is an ideal if not perfect choice in both design and canopy. FWIW, this set up is my "work rig" and I have extensive experience with the system. I also doubt you will have any trouble jumping it if your jumping it "at work". If your planning on using it for sport jumping than you might run into the problems that have been stated.

One thing that doesn't make sense to me is if it's an airborne medical team why aren't they supplying you with the needed equipment to be part of the team?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Agreed!
If you plan to jump into some jungle LZ with a hundred pound rucksack, you would be foolish to do it with a canopy any smaller than an MT-1XX.
The only other rig that I would consider would be a tandem, but then I have thousands of jumps on tandems and freely admit that some tandem mains are not designed for rough field landings.

The mt-ixx is a fine rig for what it is intended for. It is my view that it wasn't intended for sport jumping. There are plenty of rigs out there for a guy your size.I think you'll be sorry if you go that route. And If i'm not mistaken,most dz's wont let you (A novice) use it...........

who cares if the glass is half full,or half empty,when the're dyin of thirst?

Just what is an RSL?

Reserve Static Line. If you have a stock MC-XXX rig with the issue risers it will have an RSL on the the jumpers left 3 ring assembly.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Bottom of Container. Basically we took off the ripcord and made it where to initiate deployment you throw out the P/C from a BOC pouch. Just like a sport rig. If you load it enough you will not have any problems with it. It is big so I reccomend flat packing it v.s. pro packing it due to the ammount of material that will be lying all over the floor, but there are people that can do it. The belly band is an added plus to the rig as well as the attachment points. I miss my mt1-XX:(

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

[soapbox]Just a little bit of perspective here. One thing that I think needs to be said, is that you first need to pass AFF and become a licensed skydiver if you aren't already qualified( lack of user information in your profile). Even then, being an experienced skydiver doesn't mean one is ready to strap a ruck sack of any weight onto themselves. Flying with a ruck on is a whole different animal and it is not uncommon for a rucksack to fly it's wearer everyonce in a while. [/soapbox]
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING