kleggo

hip & chest articulation on a container, why ????????????

As was recently asked in a prior thread that degenerated into unpleasantness, "Can anyone tell me the benefits of purchasing hip & chest articulation on a container?

i'd also like to hear why people do this.

i suspect mostly for style / fashion but i'd also like to know peoples thoughts on hip rings.

Do they;
1) reduce body movement input to canopy flight making for more "reliable" canopy input?
(reliable as in your body movements do not affect canopy flight dynamics)
or
2) increase your ability to really crank a harness turn by lifting a leg and torqueing your torso?

or both?

MY primary interest is CReW and i want to minimize canopy input while i'm dealing with shit that happens during a rotation dive.

I've had rigs with and without hip rings and can't definatively say one or the other is superior since a person tends to learn techniques to minimize canopy movement no matter what the rig configuration.

be safe

kleggo

edit to clarify "reliable"

I've jumped both standard and articulated (hip rings only) harnesses. I'll never buy another container without hip rings.

It may be a gender thing, but I find a harness with hip rings to be more comfortable than one without - on the ground, on the plane, in freefall (belly or sit flying) and under canopy.

Some rigs get the exact bend/kink in the main lift web that the hip ring is supposed to prevent. Some rigs have the ring located differently and avoid this apparent contradiction. Here's a pic of BB from McGowan's gallery on this site...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Featured_Photographers/Michael_McGowan/Freestyle&image=2-2%20Tango%206%20Betsy.jpg&img=&tt=

edit - pic too small, made link instead.

I think the only way to actually judge an increase in comfort would be to get the exact same rig built with and without. It does make it easier to replace certain parts of the harness.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I got my hip ring articulation for comfort means that unlike some of the non articulated stuff i jumped as rental didn't feel like i had a board strapped to my back, also makes movement easier. perhaps you would have been better posting this in the crw forum as i am sure they would be able to answer more specific questions:)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

Is the Wings container the only one that puts the hip ring in a location where it works? It looks like Wings' claim of their structure being better is correct.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The Vector 3 harnesses from Relative Workshop are only has an option for hip rings, no chest rings. I don't know how this affects their fit compared with other harnesses.

VARIABLE GEOMETERY HARNESS (hip rings)
We only manufacture harnesses with hip rings and not chest rings, as the cut of our yoke does not warrant chest rings. This is an option you can check with your dealer for the cost.

To me Infinitys with hip rings don't feel like they pull as much at my shoulders or back when I bend my legs up while sitting in the plane. I think they're easier to run and walk in, but I haven't worn a non-hip-ring rig in so long I can't say for sure.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.