velocity-96

reflex parts? and q's for a master rigger

does anyone know where i can get a reseve pilot chute for a reflex. i need one asap before the holidays for a rig i bought for my girlfriend. the vurrent one has a small hole in it and i was told master riggers dont patch them because you have to disa semblle the chute off the spring to get it ionto the sewing machine. is this true.
thanks

i was told master riggers dont patch them because you have to disa semblle the chute off the spring to get it ionto the sewing machine. is this true.

Maybe someone will patch a reserve pilot chute, I don't know. What I do know is that the amount of time and effort that goes into dis-assembling, patching and re-assembling a reserve pc will cost you more than a new one.

In the rig stagnation period that was the entire 80s and early nineties Mick's Reflex was the only rig that showed some imagination. I always liked Pop Tops since the Wonderhog became the Vector and everthing since has been another variation of "trap the reserve pilot chute in the container" type rigs.

The ones I never really understood were the hybrids, like the Javelin. Sure, you got the best of both world's, a Pop Top and a flap, but you also get the worst of both too . . .

I like the fact the reserve pin(s) is up against my back on a Pop Top and I can let later level AFF students practice their gear checks on me. But they can't mess with my reserve pin(s).

The knock on Pop Tops, seems to be, the possibility of snagging a line. But, even with today's small diameter line, if your hat is sticking up that much - get another rigger.

But, it's a well known Rigger dilemma that in order to get some older Pop Top rigs (like the Racer Elites) to seat correctly you must put a little more pressure on the closing loop than most might feel comfortable with.

It's why it helps to be a Rigger if you own one of these.

There was also some controversy concerning one and two loop Pop Tops. John Sherman, over at the Jump Shack said, you need two loops to get a symmetrical spring loaded pilot chute launch. But, Mick's single pin Pop Top is the best I've ever seen . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

There was also some controversy concerning one and two loop Pop Tops. John Sherman, over at the Jump Shack said, you need two loops to get a symmetrical spring loaded pilot chute launch. But, Mick's single pin Pop Top is the best I've ever seen . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Part of that problem is that John Sherman holds a patent on a one-pin Pop-Top, but was never able to build it with a reasonable pull-force.
The crux of the problem is: how do you transfer the load (loop tension) from a center loop to the circumference of the spring?
It cannot be done gracefully with a soft or flexible pilot chute cap.

Dan Poynter's original Pop-Top design handled that beautifully by using two loops. Mind you, Poynter invented the Pop-Top back when two-pin reserves were the norm, and any main container with fewer than four pins was considered an improvement.

Circa 1986, Snowy Dickenson solved the second part of the equation by building a one-pin Pop-Top with an aluminum pie plate to spread the load from the single center loop to the circumference. Stefan Ertler refined/"domed" the concept and licensed Thomas Sports equipment to incorporate spherical aluminum caps in their new one-pin Teardrop.

A few years later (mid 1990s) Micky Cottle introduced a domed composite cap for the one-pin Pop-Top on his Reflex rig.
Reflex hit the market at the perfect time, Cypres was becoming fashinable, but Racer sales were starting to fade because two-pin Cypres cost $125 more.

However, none of these one-pin Pop-Tops address Manley Butler's criticism that "center loops ruin spring dynamics."
... except for the proof-of-concept prototype one-pin Pop-Top hiding in the back of my loft. Maybe this winter I will build an airworthy version and test jump it.
"Evil laughter!!!"