Twoply

What to wear in cold climate activity?

I'm just starting to get into the techinical, more modern clothing besides the traditional cotton hoodie. I've been turned on to the Mountain hardwear gear and am impressed on how lightweight and warm it is.

I'm going to try to utilize my new gear for work this year instead of the big bulky Carhart jackets. The physical part of it can range from really working the muscles and lifting heavy sh*t, to walking around and just supervising.

I've got a few synchro jackets and an alchemy from MH, and I'm looking for good base layers to help while I'm working where the conditions will range from cool to super cold.

I've seen some stuff that's just crazy expensive, like $60 for a long sleeve and I'm not sure if it's necessary. Is it? What brands and what kind of configuration do you roll with?

Comments welcome!

get a good base layer of the high-tech stuff, has many brand names, $60 sounds a little high

wicks moisture and keeps you warm

any outdoor shop will have it, generally comes in 3 weights, light - middle- heavy
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Stay away from cotton...

Get good wicking base layers...REI and Pategonia are two names that come to mind. You may have been looking at smartwool, more expensive but also very very warm and comfy!

Layer, layer and more layers!! as needed you can add or remove them. You do not want to be so warm that you sweat.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

You already said you like the Mountain hardwear stuff, so you may want to stick with it. I have a shirt from them, I don't know the name. ahh damnit let me go google it. ok found it http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1426&prod=507&cat=1438&viewAll=False

this is by far the best piece of gear I have. I've never, never been cold when using this as my base. What is awesome about it is that you can use a medium weight or lightweight base, and then put this over it. Oh you will be comfy warm I can assure you. So it's 85 bucks. Get over it, you won't find anything else that comes close.

I have the marmot long underwear tops, medium weight. Those are great as a base layer as well. They ran me 50 to 55 back a few years ago. I didn't use them every day or anything, but they look like new today.

Just FYI, if you are using this for work, you can write it off ya know.

I'm telling you though, the link I provided, you can't beat it, EVER!!
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Save yourself money in the long run and just buy a good first layer. It will cost you around 120-150 and you are set if you already have outer wear. Don't layer up in to many layers or you will sweat no matter what you buy and that defeats the purpose of light wt. Lt wt clothing is designed so you are not bulky and don't have to layer up. There are some great products out there that will work just fine but again it starts with that first layer.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly