Grisha

Old rig? Can i jump on USA?

I have two old elements of my rig: container Atom (1995) and reserve Raven (1989) and jumping with this on my country.
So, may i jump with so old elements of my rig in USA?

If the rig is packed by an FAA certified rigger, who feels it airworthy, you can jump it here.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

If he gets it packed according to his own country's regs, can't he just bring it over and jump? I remember seeing Aussies jump in the US on a 6th month cycle and with no lead seals. Visiting teams for example, don't need to have their gear repacked in by and FAA rigger before using it.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

According to the regs technically no - if the container or reserve is TSO'ed the reserve must be packed by an FAA rigger... in practice though yes, people are usually permitted to use their rig with a re-pack from home although US repack cycle is generally applied.

Before I brought my rig to the US for the first time, I did some research on this. Foreign rigs can be repacked under foreign rules (i.e. 180 day rule can be OK) only if the entire rig is foreign and followed the foreign country's parachuting assocation rules. Tehnically, it's permittable it seems...

However, many US dropzones override these foreign rules regardless (i.e. 120 day repack cycle enforced regardless)

It did not apply to my rig, because a lot of it was US made, and therefore TSO'd.

***What if, the person who packed the parachute, harness-container is a citizen of a foreign country and holds an FAA Riggers certificate? ***

I've not seen anything before which precludes foreign FAA certificated riggers from recognition within the US. I presume that if you hold an FAA rigging ticket it doesn't matter where you were born or where you happened to pack the rig. If you've got an FAA cert you've got an FAA cert. But then I'm not an authority on this - I've just read the FARs.

I've posted a run down of applicable regs here: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=936836#936836 (As I said though, not that I am in any way an authority on this issue - I've merely posted exerpts that would appear to be of relevance).

I agree! I was just posing a question. It appears, the bottom line is the difference in recognition of 120-days or 180-days. If, the rig comes to this country from a foreign country with 29-days left on a 180-day cycle it's 'out of date', here. It's the old story of 'turf'. If, I'm on your turf... I play by your rules and if, you're on my turf... my rules. Make sense?

Chuck

I agree! I was just posing a question. It appears, the bottom line is the difference in recognition of 120-days or 180-days. If, the rig comes to this country from a foreign country with 29-days left on a 180-day cycle it's 'out of date', here. It's the old story of 'turf'. If, I'm on your turf... I play by your rules and if, you're on my turf... my rules. Make sense?

Isn't there also something in the USPA regs with the USA-TSO rigs and european rigs and stuff, if the person is non-US resident and jumps his foreign gear, the rules of the originating country apply ??

From 01Jan06 Switzerland will be applying manufacturer recommendations, in my case 1 year on my Atom/Techno and 1 year on my Talon/PD-R

In any case, before travelling, the best to do is to have a fresh repack before going...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Isn't there also something in the USPA regs with the USA-TSO rigs and european rigs and stuff, if the person is non-US resident and jumps his foreign gear, the rules of the originating country apply ??

From 01Jan06 Switzerland will be applying manufacturer recommendations, in my case 1 year on my Atom/Techno and 1 year on my Talon/PD-R

In any case, before travelling, the best to do is to have a fresh repack before going...

I think, you just nailed it!;)

Chuck

According to the regs technically no - if the container or reserve is TSO'ed the reserve must be packed by an FAA rigger... in practice though yes, people are usually permitted to use their rig with a re-pack from home although US repack cycle is generally applied.

The technical answer is if the main AND reserve are TSO'ed it must be packed as per FAA regulations. If EITHER component isn't TSO'ed it can follow the home country rules. See: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=96
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

The technical answer is if the main AND reserve are TSO'ed it must be packed as per FAA regulations. If EITHER component isn't TSO'ed it can follow the home country rules. See: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=96

Just to be clear: i have a US-made rig and components - when i come to the US do I need the reserve repacked by an FAA rigger in the US or would a local repack be OK as long as it is in the 120-day cycle?

There is equipment made outside the US that is TSO'd, how does this fit into the regulations?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

It does not matter where it is made, just whether it is TSO'd.

The letter of the law may require a repack by an FAA certified rigger, but my strong suspicion is that nobody at a DZ/boogie cares about that detail. If you don't have the lead seal on (as some/many countries don't require) that would probably raise unwanted attention, so get somebody to put one on for you if you don't already.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am