sky-pimp

line stow!!!!

not having a packing certificate , i use a packer for the time being .

so today i thought i would pull out my canopy and have a bit of practice myself ..

my question is .
am i right in thinking that the amount of bit ( holding strength ) that the stows (elastic bands ) should have on the lines is approx 14lb ??????
YeHaaaaaaaaaaa

to loose (no grip at all) , not all but the by the looks of it . maybe the wrong size elastic bands were used when replacing broken ones !!??

i don't have the same bag , but this is the only picture i can find at mo that best shows where i mean .
in the picture it showes closing the mouth . i am referring to the stows on bottom of my main bag

i have a split bag on a mirage G4 .
YeHaaaaaaaaaaa

if thier to lose wrap the elastic around them one more time but if you do this do it to all of them so you don't get uneven line dump.

I think this is very bad advise.

The stows should hold with an appropriate force. That level of force is what matters, not whether it was achieved with a double or single wrap of the stow band. It is better to use a shorter band than double stow to achieve that force.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

And never double-wrap a rubber band on a locking stow. (Locking stows being the ones where the rubber band goes through a grommet or other opening in the bag mouth flap.)

Why?

I come past the cascades on my final locking stow with large bands and double to get the appropiate tension(on last locking stow)....no problems as of yet..but only 20 odd jumps on new canopy...in fact...near perfect openings..

The stows should hold with an appropriate force. That level of force is what matters, not whether it was achieved with a double or single wrap of the stow band. It is better to use a shorter band than double stow to achieve that force.

Seems like sound advise...but even small bands can be double wrapped to keep the tension even......I use large bands on my locking stows(new ZP is a bitch to get in the bag)...having to double the last one after the cascades...and small on the following stows...but a single wrap is quite loose...so I double them resulting in fairely even stow tension(usually hand stowing about 14 to 18 in the pack tray)...7 cell btw...

Numbers are pretty irrelevant here. Nobody uses a scale to pack. My take, FWIW:

Keep the stows even in bight and tension. Unless they are completely loose or ridiculously tight they'll be fine. The only purpose they serve is to keep the lines orderly. Stows have little to do with canopy openings if kept uniform. Use single or double wraps to achieve snug, uniform stows. 2" bights are reasonable.

Don't double stow locking stows. Although some people have never had a problem, most bag lock malfunctions I've heard about involve doing this. My bet is that no manufacturer recommends double stowing locking stows.

It isn't complicated or technical. Neat, snug, uniform. Leave about 18" of neatly folded line between bag and riser. And keep in mind that everyone has their own idea of what's best just like you will pretty soon.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

Don't double stow locking stows. Although some people have never had a problem, most bag lock malfunctions I've heard about involve doing this. My bet is that no manufacturer recommends double stowing locking stows.

Does everybody agree with the above? The way I was taught by our packer was to not double stow the first two, but to double the last two ... they are loose if I don't. I have 4 on my bag. I was also taught that it was better to use the same size bands all over the bag, and double stow as necessary to keep the tension. When I first started packing I wanted to find the right size band for each stow point so I wouldn't have to double ... but a few packers spoke against it. I have great openings, so I would like to think I'm doing things correctly, but I haven't had that many openings yet. :P

-Andres

Well, i was taught never to double stow all locking stows. If the bungee is loose, i pass the bands through itself another time when putting the bands onto the d-bag, shortening the bands where it goes round the lines.

E

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Where the hell did you come up with this "theory"? There is no known mode that I have ever heard of to catorgorize how bag locks happen. There are a myriad of causes for bag locks most involving line or bridle looping around the main line group either before deployment or during. Pray tell?

Mick.

I was also taught that it was better to use the same size bands all over the bag, and double stow as necessary to keep the tension.

The amount of tension is what matters, not whether you get it with a double or single stow.

When I first started packing I wanted to find the right size band for each stow point so I wouldn't have to double ... but a few packers spoke against it.

I say balogna.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Where the hell did you come up with this "theory"? There is no known mode that I have ever heard of to catorgorize how bag locks happen. There are a myriad of causes for bag locks most involving line or bridle looping around the main line group either before deployment or during. Pray tell?

Mick.

Whoa. Really pushed a button there didn't I. OK. I made the whole thing up all by myself. Clearly it's debatable and no scientific evidence exists that I know of. But there doesn't seem to be a reason to use double stows over grommets either. Why use a technique that even remotely increases the chance of a bag lock? Do any container manufacturers recommend double stowing locking stows?
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

I'm certainly no expert, but I double stow all my line stows (yes, even my locking stows) using big rubber bands.

My reasoning:

1. Rubber bands stretch, so double stowing with big rubber bands will ensure the most reliable "snug" grip on the lines. Single stowing with small rubber bands can allow a stretched, small rubber band* to be too loose. *I'm sure that could be prevented by replacing them after every jump, but who wants to do that?

2. Rubber bands break, so the odds of them holding all of the line stows and causing bag lock are next to impossible IMO. Unless you have a really crappy pc, I guess, but then that would probably explain the bag lock in my book. :S

3. It seems to me that line dump is much more likely than bag lock. I come to that conclusion from reading my canopy's owner's manual and from the reasoning I have listed so far.

4. Big rubber bands are much easier to work with when you're trying to cram a giant canopy into a bag that seems too small, no matter how many times you're told it was made to accept a 190. :D

5. It works for me! To each their own, I guess. :)

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.