Ronniedobbs

FT-50 PROBLEMS

I got a new FT-50 about a month ago worked fine for 10-15 jumps. Last weekend after my second jump that day I noticed the dial was free spinning.(tilt the alt and the needle falls). I believe it worked fine on the way down when I got to the hanger it was broken no hard falls or bumps. Any one else had any problems like this with any altimeter? Any know what might have happened?

I have never had good luck with the FT-50.

We had 6 on our team and all of them decided to quit working at some time.

1 never worked to begin with and the other 5 failed at different times (jump 20 for 1, 100 for 2, 175 for 1 and the other at 300).

I am fairly sure on the failer jump numbers as the whole kit is issued andwe look at the log books at the fail point to get an idea of the #.

We called Alti-2 and now (for the last 2.5 years) we have had no issues!B|
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Mathematically what you descibe is just incredible. There are thousands of FT-50s out in the field and have been for years, most of which have performed as designed. To have 6 fail at random all on one team exceeds a mind boggling statistical probability.

I'm curious if you contacted the manufacturer, and if so, what they had to say?
alan

My first alti was an FT-50 which worked great until about my 30th jump, when it seized at 9k on the way to altitude. Returned it to Aerostore, where they checked it out in a chamber and replaced it for free. The 2nd one worked fine until I dropped it and then it suffered the same malady as yours. Try to wind it a few revolutions and see if that helps. They are quaranteed, but the shipping delay, etc. to France might be a hassle.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, Shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"

Sent it back to Para Gear they said it was defective and are sending me a alti-III. They apperently did not take it apart yet or are not going to. I don't think there is a problem with FT-50's in general. I just got one with a problem. People seem to have similar problems reguardless of manufacturer.
I will say Para Gear was great they couldn't have been more helpfull and fast they have already sent me new one.I decided to go with the alti III based on 2 things 1 they are here in the states cheaper service and other stuff like registration. 2 piece of mind .

True it seems imposible.

They happened to be bought in two groups from a DZ that is out of Business now. The purchaes where about 9 months a part.

The first group had the one that failed quickly and the second group had the one that never worked.

1 of them sticks at various altitudes and takes a while (5 to 10 minutes) to go the zero once on the ground.

We contacted the dealer (the defunct DZ) and no luck with any warranty or replacements. We still awaite a reply from the manufactorer.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I've dropped mine I don't know how many times, and is still ticking after 4300+ jumps.

I've got a Barigo, that I've had for 17-yrs. and it has never failed me. One of our jumpers has one, that was lost because, it got packed-up in his main. My wife found it, almost a year later, while we were looking for student rip-cords. He's still using it! A very under-estimated altimeter.;)

Chuck

That's interesting! I've sold, I don't know how many FT-50 altimeters and have not heard of a single problem with any of them.

Chuck

Yep, sold a few meself, and TLML and I have been jumping them for 6-7 years now and never a lick of a problem.

Now I'm not saying that someone won't have a problem, but I truly believe that there is no pandemic problem with FT-50s.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

One of our jumpers has one, that was lost because, it got packed-up in his main. My wife found it, almost a year later, while we were looking for student rip-cords. He's still using it! A very under-estimated altimeter.;)

Are you saying it was dropped from altitude and then lay exposed to the elements for nearly a year? If so, I am duly impressed.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

I like mine. I've had it on the last 2 of my 9 jumps. It seems more sensitive than the Alti 3s our DZ uses. What I mean is it starts to read as soon as we leave the ground. The Alti 3s seem to require more altitude change to "register" for lack of a better word.

Unless they've changed, it seems like the Alti's are off, one way ot the other with altitude reading!?

Chuck

Yep, sold a few meself, and TLML and I have been jumping them for 6-7 years now and never a lick of a problem.

Now I'm not saying that someone won't have a problem, but I truly believe that there is no pandemic problem with FT-50s.

I don't believe, there should be a 'panic' situation. Any manufacturer will run across a problem on occassion like Mondays and Fridays.:o:D

Chuck

One of our jumpers has one, that was lost because, it got packed-up in his main. My wife found it, almost a year later, while we were looking for student rip-cords. He's still using it! A very under-estimated altimeter.;)

Are you saying it was dropped from altitude and then lay exposed to the elements for nearly a year? If so, I am duly impressed.

On opening, he said he saw it fall, right in front of him. It landed on the edge of a fresh plowed cotton field. I think, that soft dirt, had a lot to do with it. He cleaned it up and had our pilot take it up with him and it worked! I was rather impressed, to say the least.

Chuck

Add me to the list of those having no problems with my FT-50...even after having been dropped numerous times...just call me "butterfingers."

Sounds like, you got just the right altimeter!:D
I've seen them get pretty beat-up and just keep going and going and...

Chuck

I've got around 800 jumps on my ft-50 with no problems. it sticks a little on the ride up, but it has been dropped many times and has also been in the pond. I like it, although if I bought another it would be an alti 3. The altis seem a little heartier.
just my oppinion.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

I've got a Barigo ... A very under-estimated altimeter.

Barigos are endemic here because Parachutes Australia sells them. They do the job, are affordable and pretty tough. Sold.

I'd trust one with my life! Doh!:$ :D

Chuck