ncfitzge

Wings Options

I would not recommend choosing a rig by how easy a rigger finds them to pack. Good criteria for choosing a rigger, but not a rig, IMO. It's hard to find riggers that like all rigs, and they seldom agree on which rigs they dislike.

and I would disagree with this advice, especially since it doesn't come from a rigger. I owned 2 racers for over 800 jumps, and I liked the rigs (fully aware of the shortcomings). yet, I wound up getting rid of them because I couldn't find local riggers to make them look good. I've had 3 riggers that made my rigs look good, but one rigger left the state, one got sloppy as his job dissatisfaction grew, and one retired from rigging.

this was in so. california, at major dz's (perris/elsinore) and I wound up changing rigs ($$$$) because they were not rigger friendly. why would anyone recomend a rig their locals riggers don't fancy? my advice would be to buy a rig that is common where you jump. it will be easier to sell, and your rigger will be familar with it, rather than figuring it out for the first time with your rig.

Sweet. Ankie is sending some sample colors now. I'm doing Neon Green and Black with white pin stripping. Like the pattern I attached above. It should be pretty cool.
#148 Sonic Scrat
"Have you ever kissed a rabbit between the eyes?" Woodpecker pulling out his pants pockets to the waitress

If your learning how to freefly instead of a boc go for a pull out deployment. Has no bridal to expose.

I'm not going to comment on Pull-Out vs BOC, because I frankly do not have the experience to know a damned thing about pull-out. However, a modern, properly designed rig won't have much, if any, exposed bridle with a BOC

Case in point: My 9/2005 model Infinity, see attachment.
cavete terrae.

First, consider a PR-193 reserve, at least. Your reserve is usually used when things are already going wrong. If you are steadfast in your decision to go with the PR-176, call PD for a demo canopy. If you can land a 176 well ten landings out of ten jumps, then it might be an okay choice, although a 193 would still be a wiser one.

That was the mistake I made. My first reserve ride was the smallest canopy I have ever flown. I broke my left wrist , thinking I could land it like my 190. These people are telling the truth when they say consider your reserve size

Let me preface this by saying that i am not a rigger but PD reserves are from what i have been told larger than their model number indicated, so your 176 may actually be larger than perceived.

I have been told by a rigger that I trust, and seen it documented, that for instance the pd-124 is actually 138 sq ft.

do a little research on this one..

Adrian
S.E.X. party #2

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

That looks good.

As to the debate over your main and reserve sizes. If you crash that reserve without flaring, you'll live but it will hurt.

If you are conscious, the weight of the main will be gone and reserves (PD reserves are all I know) have great flare. I have 4 reserve landings on PD 143's loaded at about 1.7:1. Never a problem, always a very comfortable stand-up.

I jumped a rig with the cordura BOC and jus didn't like it. Doesn't seem to be very tight and secure for FF.

I've had the opposite experience. The most secure BOC pouches I have seen on any rig have been Cordura, and not Spandex. Spandex wears out much more quickly, and doesn't seem to provide as much pressure on the PC, even when new, assuming that the main is properly sized for the container.

I've owned and used both types.