Hazarrd

Detaching D-bag from main canopy

I'm trying to unscrew the d-bag from the the main canopy but the metal won't twist. Attached is a picture. Is there something I can do to get it started? I tried a wrench but its just too small. Thanks.

Put a screwdriver through the rapide link to hold it down and then put a wrench to it. If that doesn't work, then the threads are probably stripped and forcing it will probably cause it to crack. Not a bad thing, you will just have to replace it.

I'm trying to unscrew the d-bag from the the main canopy but the metal won't twist. Attached is a picture. Is there something I can do to get it started? I tried a wrench but its just too small. Thanks.

you will not be able to undo by hand and will need the right size wrench. make sure you are turning in the right direction to unscrew - it is easy to get that wrong. I have 9 slinks in my rig. 4 for the main, 4 for the reserve and 1 for the d-bag attachment.

rm

The slink idea is cool... But one more failure point???

My d-bag is attached with zero hardware.... My rigger followed the RWS instructions:

6. Attach the pilot chute and bag to the pilot
chute bridle attachment point on the main
canopy. Pass the pilot chute and bag through
the looped end of the bridle.

In other words, my canopy end of my dbag bridal assembly has a 3" long loop. That loop was inserted into the loop on the canopy, and the pilot chute, bridal, and dbag was inserted/passed thru the loop on bridal.

Zero hardware, zero tools to switch it out... Why do others not do it this way???

That's called a lark's head knot. It seems better to me as well. It's like that on my BASE rig, but not my new skydiving rig. The bridle on my skydiving rig doesn't have the 3" long loop, it's probably too short to lark's head it through. Maybe the kill-line P/C has something to do with it.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

Maybe the kill-line P/C has something to do with it

sure, but all it takes is attaching the Kill-Line to the retainer just above the loop. I agree that is the easiest method.

In reply to tdog could this method be 'just another failure point'??:P
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.