Gravitymaster

*Warning re: Delta Airlines

You can't sue the airlines for refusing service

But you can sue them for discrimination(See previous post), defamation of character (all those people in the terminal now think I'm a terrorist. May take some acting ability.:D), mental anguish (refer to previous as well as "I missed my vacation") , financial loss (Transportation to and from the airport, the $100+ change fee if he wants to reuse the ticket, wasted vacation day(s) from work, tips and incidentals, etc etc) a sheister lawyer can come up with these things all day long. ;)
Oh...and great letter BTW!!!

It may have even helped to have a copy of their policy on carryon rigs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have searched TSA website and can't find anything regarding skydiving rigs. Delta does have a policy conducive to skydiving rigs, but they say you can't have anything containing compressed gas. That seemed to be the basis on which Delta refused to allow me to board. The arguement then became whether or not my cypres contained compressed gas. Since neither Airtec nor U.S.P.A. has provided us with a credible disclaimer, we as skydivers will always lose the arguement on this basis.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I make it a point to take all of the information I can with me. It would also probably help if Airtech had a copy of the TSA/FAA letter available on their web site to refer to.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yep, rather than the press release. Thats why I've asked if anyone has actually seen this information in writing or are we simply taking Airtecs word for it? According to someone I spoke to at USPA, they haven't seen the "letter"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If everyone sent letters and emails to all involved we might be able to resove this. I sent the following email to Delta, TSA, FAA, Dulles customer service, USPA, PIA and Airtech.

But you can sue them for discrimination(See previous post), defamation of character (all those people in the terminal now think I'm a terrorist.

Do not pass go and do not collect a trip to FloridaB|

Discrimination is not small claims (not if you have a solid case)

According to BOB by his own post on a public forum the issue was not discrimination but the Cypress which was in his rig, which by the way is not listed in Delta’s policy and as such makes it a gray area since no one can come up with TSA/FAA letter about the Cypress......check mate:(

since no one can come up with TSA/FAA letter about the Cypress

I'm really inclined to believe that there ISN'T one. Maybe they got a head nod or a "handshake" on it but if there was a specific regulation or policy it seems Airtec would have it. This is something that DEFINATELY needs to be cleared up. Not that I have a cypres.....:D

Jeez... I'm flying to Dominican Republic in a month. That's going to involve three airlines and five trips through security! And of course the D.R. boogie is absolutely specific that everyone MUST have an aad.

FedEx is looking more appealing.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

The letter that they are refering to is a few years old, well before the TSA was ever thought of. The TAS basically threw out all the old regulations and created their own pliocy of if in doubt its a no go. Simple thinking on their side...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I think you are right

Hehehee...I once had an investigator working for me. A 30 some year veteran of the Police force in Fairfax county VA. I learned a lot from that guy. Mainly that there are NO coincidences and to always pay little attention to what people are saying and a lot more to WHY they are saying it. ;) Certainly makes sense in this case. Because, doesn't a Cypres contain compressed gas? :o

depending on what they've had for lunch, any passenger could contain compressed gas! :o Should they be banned then? and don't forget, you can't open the door on a commercial airline. (Fortunately those nice thick seats absorb most of it).:D

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I've got the little booklet that comes with the Cypres. All they show is a diagram showing a "pellet" with a wire coming out the back. The pellet is inside a "propellent" which is packed in behind a "piston". The piston is sharp at the end facing the reserve closing loop. When the signal is given, the pellet ignites the "propellent", driving the piston 5 mm to sever the closing loop.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

When the signal is given, the pellet ignites the "propellent", driving the piston 5 mm to sever the closing loop

Hmmm...sounds like an electronic blasting cap to me...[:/] Just tell the TSA guy "Oh that...it's just an EXPLOSIVE DEVICE that opens my parachute." I'm sure you'll cruise right through....:D

Ever notice that lighters and matches aren't on the list of things you can't take on a plane? They were, but lobbying from the tobacco industry got them removed.

Brave new world, my ass!

Yet you can bring 11 lbs of ammunition as long as you check it. Go figure

Like you expect governent regulations to make some kind of sense???? Are you mad???? :D

Wait until Jan 1, 2003 when they start X-raying even checked baggage and your cypres shows up on it. I suspect we are going to have some real pissed off skydivers when they arrive at their destination and find their rig is still back at the airport they departed from. Better start writing those letters to the FAA/TSA/USPA/Airtec/ etc now boys and girls.

Bob

Took the g/f to Minn. Airport to fly her back home this past week. They screened her checked stuff pretty much in front of her - there was a scanning machine on the other side of the Continental counter with a pair of TSA officials manning it. They asked her if it was locked, she gave them the keys, they unlocked it, scanned it, relocked it, tagged it as scanned and handed the keys back to her. I would *GUESS* this will be SOP at all airports so if there is a problem, you'ld know before you leave the counter.

there was a scanning machine on the other side of the Continental counter with a pair of TSA officials manning it

When I went to the airport to pick up my son last weekend they had installed these at the Atlanta airport as well. I guess that's how it's going to be now...

The problem I forsee is when you use curb side check-in as I usually do. The Skycaps aren't going to be screening your bags. Hopefully, if there is a problem, they would let you know before boarding. My concern is when you are dealing with the incompetence and lack of proper training level I have experience with certain airlines, anything could happen.

Bob

Well, Like Jessica said "F" them, from what you've been put through is enough for me not to use them.
Lets us know if we can petition or boycott(w/ document of intent).
We have to stick together on keeping our Constitutional rights.
-Grant