RALFFERS

Damn Paypal!

>:(

I just sold something on e-Bay, and for the 1st time ever they put a hold on the money... What's up with that?! I've been selling on greed Bay for around 4 years, and this has never happened.

I wonder if it's something that Paypal does on its own, or if its something the buyer specifies. :S There was a notice released a few months ago that stated that a hold *could* be put on your money, but that statement was made very loosely - in that it would only occur with "some" transactions. Talk about being vague! :|

If it's not bad enough that e-Bay continues to raise it's prices, now they're putting holds on your money (e-Bay owns Paypal by the way). The hold could be for up to 3 weeks. >:([:/] This now makes it easy for buyers to scam sellers; by making up fake complaints they get their money back while I never see the item. The other thing is when the buyer sends the money, I pay for the shipping costs right away with that money. I can't do that now & have to wait to be reimbursed for shipping.

This couldn't have happened at a worst time; I'm due to leave for Florida this Saturday, & I need my money damn it.:|

Note: I have 100% genuine positive feedback; if they were going to hold anyone's money it should not be mine - or anyone else's that has said approval rating for that matter.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

I second that emotion. I refuse to deal with Paypal anymore. If that means I have a harder time selling my main (if that time arises), or that I can't have something I want from eBay, so be it. Paypal can kiss my ass. I don't want to type out the story, though, so just understand that I'm with ya. ;)

If they believe the funds were sent to you from a hijacked account, they will investigate and let you know. They are usually very quick to send you an email and advice not to send the item. In fact if that's the case they are not holding YOUR money, but the buyers.

Think - if you were taking credit cards with your own terminal, and ran a charge for a stolen credit card, it would be 30 days or more when you will receive a notice of charge dispute BY MAIL and you will be SOL. With paypal they actually monitor and their advanced warning systems work well.

Can you post the email they sent you (obviously without the private info). I am guessing it was something like "NOTICE OF PAYMENT REVIEW: DO NOT SHIP." Those usually clear in less than 24 hrs if the buyer is legit.

Good luck

>:(

I just sold something on e-Bay, and for the 1st time ever they put a hold on the money... What's up with that?! I've been selling on greed Bay for around 4 years, and this has never happened.

It could be an echeck. Funds get drawn from a bank account instead of a cc or their account. They usually clear in a couple of days, although I had one that took more than a week. I tell the customer that once the echeck clears, I'll send you the product.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Here's the e-mail I received from Paypal.

NOTICE OF PAYMENT RECEIVED - PLEASE SHIP ITEM

You've received a payment, detailed below. We’ve placed a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction.

PayPal and eBay are working together to make payments for eBay items even safer. Because we want both buyers and sellers to feel confident about sending and receiving payments through PayPal, we may temporarily hold payments for items sold on eBay.

Make sure to ship the item right away, so you'll have access to the funds sooner. We’ll release the hold in 21 days unless you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the hold. We may release the hold earlier if either of the following occurs:

The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay.
We confirm that the item was delivered.* We can confirm delivery if you ship the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page. This applies to transactions within the United States.
Additional hold period

If you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the hold, we may hold the payment until the problem is resolved.

Learn more about the PayPal policy for payment holds for eBay items.

We will notify you by email when the funds are released. You can monitor the status of the hold in your Transaction History.

* This applies to US domestic transactions that are shipped by USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either (i) use PayPal shipping labels to ship items or (ii) provide tracking information to PayPal.

oopsie. looks like a new and "improved" rule.

ya know, this is definitely news to me. Looks like the rule is applies to newer/lower feedback/less active account.

As much as I have defended paypal in the past, this move seems asinine, as it will loose them a lot of business due to the fact that all of us want to get OUR money ASAP.

their previous systems told you to NOT ship the item until the buyers authenticity has been verified.

I am sorry dude, seems like they got you by short and curlies.

I just logged into my account; the payment is there. See the attached pic.

I appreciate the warning & concern though. Thanks. :)

Here's the e-mail I received from Paypal.

NOTICE OF PAYMENT RECEIVED - PLEASE SHIP ITEM

You've received a payment, detailed below. We’ve placed a temporary hold on the funds for this transaction.

PayPal and eBay are working together to make payments for eBay items even safer. Because we want both buyers and sellers to feel confident about sending and receiving payments through PayPal, we may temporarily hold payments for items sold on eBay.

Make sure to ship the item right away, so you'll have access to the funds sooner. We’ll release the hold in 21 days unless you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the hold. We may release the hold earlier if either of the following occurs:

The buyer leaves you positive feedback on eBay.
We confirm that the item was delivered.* We can confirm delivery if you ship the item with USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either use PayPal shipping labels or upload tracking information from the transaction details page. This applies to transactions within the United States.
Additional hold period

If you receive a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal on the transaction subject to the hold, we may hold the payment until the problem is resolved.

Learn more about the PayPal policy for payment holds for eBay items.

We will notify you by email when the funds are released. You can monitor the status of the hold in your Transaction History.

* This applies to US domestic transactions that are shipped by USPS, FedEx, or UPS and either (i) use PayPal shipping labels to ship items or (ii) provide tracking information to PayPal.

Wow - that must be a new rule.
I wonder how that will effect me since I ship via email.
Although I don't sell through ebay.

Also the purchases I make through ebay, I do not use their auto check out, but send them $ directly from my account without stating on paypal that it is an ebay purchase. I use the note field to list the ebay # and shipping addy, usually my PO box. I rarely leave feedback.

All that said, I can see that this may protect people from fraud.

I wonder what the trigger(s) are for them to place a hold.
If they are holding $ for 21 days they can earn interest on that.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

ok, update

Paypal user agreement :
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/UserAgreement/ua/USUA-outside#biz-policy

more particularly section 10.4
"#10.4 eBay Item Hold. PayPal, in its sole discretion, may place a hold on a payment you receive for an eBay transaction when PayPal believes there may be a high level of risk associated with the transaction. If PayPal places a hold on your payment, it will show as "pending" in your PayPal Account.

a. Release of eBay item hold. PayPal will release the eBay item hold after 21 days unless you receive a Dispute, Claim, Chargeback, or Reversal on the transaction subject to the hold. PayPal may release the hold earlier if either of the following applies:

The buyer leaves positive feedback on eBay, or (ii) PayPal can confirm delivery. PayPal will confirm delivery if you use USPS, UPS or FedEx to ship the item and (i) use PayPal shipping labels, or (ii) upload tracking information to PayPal via the transaction details page. This applies to US domestic transactions only.

b. Additional hold period. If you receive a Dispute, Claim, Chargeback, or Reversal on the transaction subject to the eBay item hold, PayPal may hold the payment in your Account until the matter is resolved pursuant to this Agreement."

PayPal, in its sole discretion, may place a hold on a payment you receive for an eBay transaction when PayPal believes there may be a high level of risk associated with the transaction.

So now my next question is, why I considered "high-risk" ?... Granted, I don't have some un-Godly high # and whatever color star behind my name, but all the feedback I do have s positive.

type in ralffers in the ebay search box and you'll find my profile.

Man that is totally shitty. I would email paypal and tell them you cannot afford to pay for shipping until the funds clear, so they better send it over. What if you were selling something very valuable, and needed the money right away? That is super fucked. 21 days is allot longer than it takes for a postal money order to get to you. Paypal/ebay also has a very anti gun policy, along with other things I am sure. They also rob you of quite a bit of cash, the ebay fee as well as the paypal fee, and for what? All that money goes to computer programmers who were needed to build the site originally, but now all they do is make stupid ass modifications to ebay that make it much harder to use, because every week things are changed. What they should do is fire half of the programmers, and hire 1 or 2 people with some reasonable intelligence to make better categories within ebay motors and elsewhere, where the categories make no sense at all.

Damn.

I will agree that Paypal now sucks. I won't use it.

When I got divorced recently the ex kept the eBay account with over 100 feedbacks. I then created a new account (though still using the Paypal account I had for years and years) and when I sold something Paypal held my money since I was "new". They held it until the buyer had received the item, left me positive feedback and then it was released about 2 days later.

I was not happy. I even contacted them and someone who I am sure was from India was of zero help.

They call it "protection". Bull-bleep if you ask me.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

PayPal, in its sole discretion, may place a hold on a payment you receive for an eBay transaction when PayPal believes there may be a high level of risk associated with the transaction.

So now my next question is, why I considered "high-risk" ?... Granted, I don't have some un-Godly high # and whatever color star behind my name, but all the feedback I do have s positive.

type in ralffers in the ebay search box and you'll find my profile.

29 feedbacks in 3 years, with 1 transaction in the last 6 months.

looks like in the last 15 days you sold a $120 item, and also listed two $150 items.

Personally I think eBay is so tired of scams, and of people being gullible and not seeing the obvious signs and subsequently getting fucked, that they have their fraud detection tools tuned way too high (sensitive). What your account has is a classic "irregular pattern" and they just want to verify that your acct was not taken over by a good old Nigerian.

Bullshit ? Well, sure, unless you are the person who just sent $1000 to a fake seller and are now able to recover the funds...

Seriously though, I think they now wound it way too tight for normal persons liking.

We have had zero issues but we are a powerseller plus use virtual terminal. We process a large amount each month so that might have something to do with us not having any problems.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

The guy in the office across from mine just sold a PSP on ebay to a gal in England. He started to get suspicious when she said it was for her son who was in Nigeria, and could he please ship it straight there. He got a message like your's from PayPal, figured it was legit, and went down to the post office to ship it. They saw the shipping address, asked if it was electronic, assured him it was a scam, and told him that if he liked, they'd log it in (provide shipping confirmation) and then hold it while he verified he received payment...which he opted to do.

Today, he saw that he hadn't yet received payment, so he called someone at paypal to see about releasing funds. They asked him who the message had been addressed to, he said "Dear PayPal Customer", and they said it was a scam, that they would never send a message so addressed. He's headed down to the post office this afternoon to pick his package back up.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

The guy in the office across from mine just sold a PSP on ebay to a gal in England. He started to get suspicious when she said it was for her son who was in Nigeria, and could he please ship it straight there. He got a message like your's from PayPal, figured it was legit, and went down to the post office to ship it. They saw the shipping address, asked if it was electronic, assured him it was a scam, and told him that if he liked, they'd log it in (provide shipping confirmation) and then hold it while he verified he received payment...which he opted to do.

Today, he saw that he hadn't yet received payment, so he called someone at paypal to see about releasing funds. They asked him who the message had been addressed to, he said "Dear PayPal Customer", and they said it was a scam, that they would never send a message so addressed. He's headed down to the post office this afternoon to pick his package back up.

Blues,
Dave

Thanks Dave, for sharing that story. I'll call Paypal in a few minutes & find out exactly what is going on.

The strange thing is I logged into my account, & the money does appear to be there, it just says "pending". The guy's address is also U.S. based & isn't a P.O. box; so hopefully everything is legit. If it's not, I'll find out for sure today and not get sucked.

Again - thanks for the heads up; mucho gracias, amigo! B|:)

Surely you meant "y'all"?
:D

No, I was thinking in the voice of the retarded kid in the movie "The Ringer". :D

Blues,
Dave

Something like "who you callin retarded, bish?" :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban