MikeForsythe

Are sewing machines dying a slow death?

With all of the advances in material bonding, welding and fusing are sewing machines on their way out? Now there is equipment that use high frequency welding to join Cordura where the joint is stronger than the material.

Then there are the CNC material cutting tables that are almost becoming common place. And with materials like Cuben for canopies will containers become nothing more than a harness with a couple of pockets for the main and reserve?
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

It's not dying, but I did put "a hurtin' " on the one that stuck a needle through my fingernail...... it's recovering though!

Mike! Duck, Wilma's comin'
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I hope so - I'd like to see the market flooded with cheap second hand machines! I want one of those semi-industrial Bernina zig-zag machines that takes cams to change the stitch. Drool.

John

DITTO! Bring on the inexpensive used sewing machines!!

... and I think it will be awhile before we see a skydiving rig, canopies, lines, risers, pilot chute, bags, bridles... etc... that is totally glued together... :P

... and I think it will be awhile before we see a skydiving rig, canopies, lines, risers, pilot chute, bags, bridles... etc... that is totally glued together...

Are you sure?;)Think about it.....all of the nylon products can be put together without thread and the lines can be finger trapped!:o
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

Are you sure?;)Think about it.....all of the nylon products can be put together without thread and the lines can be finger trapped!:o

I wonder how that will change the failure modes.

On sewn together products, the needle essentially perforates the material. A failure can rip out a large section - sort of like ripping off a paper towel off the roll or a page out of a spiral bound notebook.

On 'welded' together products, how would a failure manifest itself?
Would the material break before the seam?
Would the seams break apart faster or larger than the comparable sewn seam?
Would the material and seam hold and the loads get transferred to the payload (ouch)? You remember kevlar lines.
How does the overall elasticity of the final product change?
Do the welded seams take repeated folds, crimps or creases as well as sewn seams?
What kind of directional dependence would the seams have upon the shear forces?

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I hope so - I'd like to see the market flooded with cheap second hand machines! I want one of those semi-industrial Bernina zig-zag machines that takes cams to change the stitch. Drool.

John

DITTO! Bring on the inexpensive used sewing machines!!

... and I think it will be awhile before we see a skydiving rig, canopies, lines, risers, pilot chute, bags, bridles... etc... that is totally glued together... :P

Even the best of welds, break. I don't believe, I could ever trust that 'glued' stuff. [:/] I will, trust good sewing, though.;)

Chuck

I can see it now... some time in the future...

No shit... there I was... I had just deployed my Zippity-Zip 47... looked up and noticed a blown seam... so I pulled out the emergency can of spray on, instant drying, seam repair cement from the pocket on the leg-strap of my jumpsuit... dropped it... thought I was gonna die...

:S
:)

so I pulled out the emergency can of spray on, instant drying, seam repair cement from the pocket on the leg-strap of my jumpsuit... dropped it... thought I was gonna die...

..or, replace "dropped it". with, "..pointed the nozzle the wrong way and glued my goggles to my face".

so I pulled out the emergency can of spray on, instant drying, seam repair cement from the pocket on the leg-strap of my jumpsuit... dropped it... thought I was gonna die...

..or, replace "dropped it". with, "..pointed the nozzle the wrong way and glued my goggles to my face".

... nah... I've already seen something along those lines already happen...

;)

I can see it now... some time in the future...

No shit... there I was... I had just deployed my Zippity-Zip 47... looked up and noticed a blown seam... so I pulled out the emergency can of spray on, instant drying, seam repair cement from the pocket on the leg-strap of my jumpsuit... dropped it... thought I was gonna die...

:S
:)

With each purchase of a Zippety-Zip, you get a free can of spray adhesive! BUT WAIT! There's more...:D:D All yours for the low... low price of $19.95!:D

Chuck

On sewn together products, the needle essentially perforates the material. A failure can rip out a large section - sort of like ripping off a paper towel off the roll or a page out of a spiral bound notebook.
-----------------------------------------------------------
A properly adjusted/ maintained sewing machine with a sharp needle doesn't perforate the material it seperates and passes between the fiber bundles, undoubtedly it will take a fiber or two out on each stroke but the structural integerity of the material will be maintained and the "zipper" effect is extremly unlikley to occur. As materials age, environmental factors come in to play such as UV damage, rotting etc. A close examination of the edges of a ruptured seam on equipment in the feild for some time will reveal that the fiber bundles have succumed to degradation rather than catastrophic failure due to perforation and damage by the machine needle. Occasionally a catastrophic failure will occur due to an overload of the entire system and the weak point will enevitibly be where the the structure has been joined or in very close proximity.

Mick.

I'm going from memory here but I recall that back in the 60's Skydiver Magazine had an article on the 'original' jumpable Rogallo wing. Loy Brydon was jumping it and it had been glued/bonded on the seams.
The idea is old, very old. The problems, IMO, are in the production methods/costs & customer acceptance.