azureriders

Maverick Canopy???

Several months back I aquired a Talon rig with a Maverick main in a very low budget transaction.

I figured for such little $$ that I could use it for packing practice etc. After all there are several of us from my home town making the two and half hour dirve to the AFF course, and we could share it for this purpose.

Now, I am starting to consider checking into letting it be my wifes first rig.

I have found some info on the Talon and know that there are some upgrades that I would do before letting her jump it. Mainly, hard channels for the cutaway and an AAD.

I have found almost nothing about a Maverick Canopy. I was hoping that some of you out there could lend some info. The tag does not give a size but reads: Maverick, mfg by Glide Path International, Atlanta Georgia. Max weight 195, Max speed 130 Knots.

Naturally I plan to give all this to a rigger and have everything checked, fixed, replaced, brought up to date, etc, etc, etc. But I would like to know as much as possible about this rig before I look like an idiot asking "do you think my wife can jump this piece of shit?"

Thanks for any help

Mavericks are 200 sq. ft., 7-cell, F-111 of the same vintage as Furys, Cruislites, etc. It's a very outdated canopy, but as long as it doesn't have more than a few hundred jumps on it, and has been reasonably well maintained, it would be a fine beginner canopy. Very forgiving, very docile, very easy to pack.

My first canopy was a Maverick. It opened, flew, and landed nicely for my first couple hundred jumps.

Canuck

Canuck

thanks alot. Are all Mavericks 200 sq ft. and do you have any idea about max novice weight. Of course she will continue to jump student gear until she reaches her lisense but after that????????? Her exit weight is 150lbs.

Again, this is just food for thought and our rigger and instructors will have more to say about this than anyone else.

Yes, they are all 200 sqft.

They are good canopies, and at her weight, a good choice if it is in good condition. There are a lot of closet queens out there with a lot of life left in them.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Are all Mavericks 200 sq ft

Yes.

Her exit weight is 150lbs.

She'd be loading that at .75:1 - not excessively high or low for the canopy or her experience level at that point. She won't want to jump it in a lot of wind; I'd suggest that she always put herself on wind hold when the dz puts students on wind hold. The flare is significantly different than most zp canopies so it would be a good idea for her to get some coaching when she transitions to zp later on.

I think it's a decent first canopy. But I also did my first 300 jumps on a Fury (same canopy as the Maverick but 20 sq ft bigger) loaded about the same.

Now if I could just find a closet queen for myself. But being that my exit weight is just over 250 I don't see that happneing.

You mean like this closet queen? ;)

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=26873&d=1
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

something like that. I have not found many used rigs on the larger side, but this one is a little too large for me. I am 6'0" and 230, in the process of looseing a few pounds and currently jumping a student manta 288 and my landings and flight are great. I would like to down size a little, probbably useing the smaller student rigs under instructor supervision first. So what I am looking for would be slightly under the manta.

Thanks for the info.

This is NOT an outdated canopy. They still are available new. Glide Path became Flight Concepts. http://www.flightconcepts.com/7cell.html This is the link to the 7 cell F-111 canopies. They may have been superceded by more desireable designs but they are still available new for those who want this kind of canopy and were very popular when it was the choice to make.

This would be an okay canopy for your wife, 15 years ago. If able it would be much better to get a used ZP 7 or 9 cell. For instance, a triathlon. She then wouldn't be learning landing techniques that she would have to change in the future. Appropriately sized she wouldn't be limited to lower winds by the canopy, only by her skill.

Don't get me wrong. This is a fine canopy, witnessed by it still being available. I have many hundreds of jumps on this type of canopy and would willingly jump one again. But for someone starting in the sport and planning on continuing it might be best to get a ZP.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Its not about because its smaller. The maximum suspended weight for Maverick is 220 pounds. You should not be heavier than 220 lbs with gear for that canopy.

The maximum suspended weight for this Maverick is 195 pounds, as stated on it tag and on my first post. If you read carefully you will see that we are talking about two different people here, my WIFE and MYSELF. I hope the maverick will make a good first canopy for HER, and if not then oh well, I will buy her a new one. I have NEVER considered jumping this canopy MYSELF. I am not suicidal.

This is NOT an outdated canopy. They still are available new. Glide Path became Flight Concepts.

Thanks, I saw the the 7-cell on Flight Concepts web site. I did not say Maverick and I did not know if they were still the same or if this new 7-cell had taken the maverick place or something. Thanks for the info.

I am 6'0" and 230, in the process of looseing a few pounds and currently jumping a student manta 288 and my landings and flight are great. I would like to down size a little, probbably useing the smaller student rigs under instructor supervision first. So what I am looking for would be slightly under the manta.

Used Maverone 250 in F111 are some good deals.
You're jumping right on the edge of being able to get into a Saber or Safire 230 ZP if you loose about 15 more pounds.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Used Maverone 250 in F111 are some good deals.
You're jumping right on the edge of being able to get into a Saber or Safire 230 ZP if you loose about 15 more pounds

Well, I have a while to go before worrying too much about it. The way my schedule has been going and with winter apon us it will probably be mid summer before I have an "A". But I will keep my eyes open for a good deal between now and then. It would have to be a real sweet deal right now though, for the fact that I dont know how my skills will progress between now and then.