flygirl1

Doggie DNA testing

So I was in the vets office a month or so ago and she offered to DNA test my dogs for free since she needed more dogs for an article she was writing. Anyway I just got the results back and they were very interesting.

Turns out the big one, Codey’s ancestry contains distant traces of Boxer, Bulldog and English Springer Spaniel. There are also faint signals from other breeds which are not strong enough to identify.

The little one, Roger's ancestry contains some Chihuahua, German Pinscher, Shetland Sheepdog and Toy Fox Terrier.

I was really shocked since when I adopted them I was told Codey was a mostly pit mix and Roger was a toy rat terrier:D Has anyone else had this done? Any cool results?
Fly like a girl

The pics are adorable - especially the first one. :)
The day practice that I worked at offered the DNA testing, but by the time I left for vet school, no one had taken them up on the offer as it was a tad expensive. I've always been curious if anyone's done it and what the results were. Thanks for sharing! :)

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

That's very interesting! Codey sure does look like a mix with mainly Pit in him. So maybe his 'ancestry' in the eyes of his previous owner was determined by his good looks:D

I have a French Bulldog (named Leon) who I was assured is pure bred, and has the papers to prove it; now I would be a bit nervous to do DNA and maybe find out what his Grandpappy was up to....[:/][:/]

'To fly is heaven, to freefall is divine'

'You only need 2 tools. WD40 for when it doesn't move but should, and duct tape for when it moves but shouldn't'

The pics are adorable - especially the first one. :)
The day practice that I worked at offered the DNA testing, but by the time I left for vet school, no one had taken them up on the offer as it was a tad expensive. I've always been curious if anyone's done it and what the results were. Thanks for sharing! :)

Thanks. I have always been really curious too. I was really excited when my vet offered to do it for free.
Fly like a girl

That's very interesting! Codey sure does look like a mix with mainly Pit in him. So maybe his 'ancestry' in the eyes of his previous owner was determined by his good looks:D

I have a French Bulldog (named Leon) who I was assured is pure bred, and has the papers to prove it; now I would be a bit nervous to do DNA and maybe find out what his Grandpappy was up to....[:/][:/]

He does doesn't he:D He was dropped off at the shelter with a badly broken leg and very little history so I think they did just guess his breed.
Fly like a girl

That first picture is awesome!

He he I think Rogers worst fear is Codey's tong. He is constantly getting slobbered and just sits there and growls:D

Well, that's a boxer for ya!!!! ;) My grandma's boxer licks everything she can. :D

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Based on those pictures I think they need to be named Me and Mini-me

too cute!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

who I was assured is pure bred

Well, that depends who a pure bread is. Remember: all dogs are simply wolves who have been selectively breeded. So key DNA tracers used toi identify a breed may be present here and there too I would assume!
Remster

That first picture is awesome!

He he I think Rogers worst fear is Codey's tong. He is constantly getting slobbered and just sits there and growls:D

Well, that's a boxer for ya!!!! ;) My grandma's boxer licks everything she can. :D

Yep he's a liker. He knows better than to give me a full bath but you should see what the does to brian when he comes home:D
Fly like a girl

Thanks...your dogs look cute as well. So where do you jump at?

Lost of places. Mostly Skydance skydiving in Davis, Bay Skydiving in Byron and soon Skydive Sacramento in Lincoln when my leg fully healsB| I have also been known to go to Hollister ocationaly:)
Fly like a girl