psychoswooper

Machu Pichu- Inca Trail Anybody been?

Planning a May trip to Peru. Plan on doing the Inca Trail (4 day) Any great experiences or terrible experiences with particular outfitters? Thinking of using SAS.
Recent rules don't allow for personal hikes, so you have to hire a guide/ and or go as part of a group (least expensive option)

I went 3 years ago, and had a really great time. Did the 4-day hike with Peru Trek and Adventures. They were really great.

Take the time to acclimate yourself in Cuzco before you take the hike, it helps. Remember that Cuzco is a whole city, and not just an old section. Take the valley tour; it gives you some insight that you wouldn't get otherwise. And take the extra day in Macchu Picchu if you can (i.e. spend the night in the town so that you can spend all day there -- the train leaves in the early afternoon I think).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thanks. My friend & I - being from Sea level- plan to spend 1 day in Lima & 3 full days in & around Cusco before hitting the trail.
We're reasonably fit, but not athletes (unless U count skydiving) I've heard varying descriptions of the trail ranging from "not bad at all" to "grueling"
Also we are both training before we go. How bad is it really?
We plan to spend a night in Aquas Calientes afterwards too.

Psycho, if you are reasonably fit I doubt you will find it grueling. If you suffer any type of altitude sickness though then it will be brutal. 3 days in Cuzco is a great plan. Drink plenty of water and don't drink a lot of alcohol (or any for that matter!) the night before you start the hike.

Two other tips: If you want an excellent restaurant in Cuzco check out the restaurant in the Monestario hotel. It is amazing and worth the cost:
http://www.monasterio.orient-express.com/web/ocus/ocus_dining_illariy.jsp

After you do the Inca trail reward yourself with a night at the Inkaterra hotel which is right at the base of Macchu Picchu. The place is beautiful and has little bungalows built right into the mountainside. It is a great place to relax and have a :D after the long trek.
http://www.inkaterra.com/en/machu-picchu

spooky! I just spent half my work day yesterday researching the same thing.

Came to some of the same conclusions, I'm going to spend 3 days in Cusco before hitting the trail but i'm intending to take the "other" Inca trail, 4 day hike to Choquequirao as I cant do the whole "busloads of Japanese tourists" thing at Maccu Pichu!

Didi anyone go to Lake titikaka and Puro? I don't see much there that looks too interesting except the fact that it's the worlds highest navigable lake
It's not the speed that kills ya, it's the sudden stops!

I walked it in 1980
At that time there were probably a total of 10 people on the entire trail. Now the limit is 500 per day! Out of those 500, around 300 are porters etc carrying your bags so you dont have to do much besides walking.

I think most of the tough parts now have solar powered escalators going up the steep parts....so it should be a breeze!:P

Coca leaf tea (not chewed) will help immensely with altitude sickness.

Be sure to go to Pisac market on Sunday, and walk up the mountain to the ruins up there, really nice.

By the way, there are several walking tours to other inca ruins that wont be as crowded as machu picchu trail.
vaya con dios!
marc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

You might as well have just named this "The Jealousy Thread". I'd love to go see Machu Picchu!

I'll be there in march,
1st group leaving after the trail re-opens from the February closureB|B|B|B|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

My BF and I were the oldest in our group at 50+, and neither of us found it all that hard. I'm no incredible physical specimen, either.

The porters do carry everything except for a daypack. What was embarrassing was leaving in the morning after a nice hot breakfast, having the porters run past after breaking camp, setting it up, and applauding for us as we came in for our morning snack. Man did we feel like a bunch of weak slackers :ph34r:. But we only saw lots of other people at night, and even then mainly only on the final night. With 26 miles of trail, that leaves plenty of room between the people.

The chief guide said that the porter record for the trail was in the 3 1/2 hours range.

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thanks everyone for your advice. My friend doesn't have her passport yet, so we're going to take our chance on booking our flight for the intended dates, then if we can't get Inca Trail permits, we'll take one of the other trails.
We may improvise a lot of it.
BTW we wouldn't mind adding more people to our group (of 2) so if anybody is interested, we plan to leave the US on May 5th. & stay til about the17th.
On another note: Haggis, yuck yuck yuck (last year's trip was to Scotland);)

Read the Lonely Planet & Tripadvisor websites about it. They were really helpful.

Wendy W.