moodyskydiver

job update

A while back I posted about getting a promotion at work.Well, things have changed but I'm not sure if its for the better or not.

I'm a writer for a small hometown newspaper that is published weekly.I was supposed to have been tapped for the new photographer slot.But instead, my editor/publisher came up to me a few weeks ago and told me that she was going to have to make some staffing cuts because the paper was going into the financial hole.

Instead of just writing she wanted me to learn how to format the paper layout to send to the printer, which involves placing ads, stories, obituaries etc. and then dropping it onto the printer's server for printing.She still wants me "on call" for journalism work but the editor/publisher is going out and doing all the journalism work to keep from having to pay the writers.So mostly I'm stuck in the office right now learning the program (Adobe InDesign CS2) that we use to format the paper.

This wouldnt be such a bad thing if my colleagues werent getting layed off one by one AND if I was actually getting paid right now.But, since I'm just learning how to use this program (even though I'm working on current issues of the paper that are getting published) she said she couldnt afford to pay me AT ALL while I'm learning.Shes calling this my "apprenticeship" and thus need not be paid.So I havent been paid since December 1st.

I know I'm learning something that could be beneficial to me down the road and once I'm proficient to my editor/publisher's standards, I'll be getting paid a little more than what I was making solely as a writer/photographer, but I'm seriously broke! I'm divorced, in college and living on my parents' good graces right now for support.I'm really wanting to move out from under their wing and get my own place and be self sufficient, but at the rate I'm going with no $ from my job I dont know how I'll ever be on my own.

I really liked this job even though its not what I'm going to school for.I'll have my Associates degree in Criminal Justice in May. If the paper gets built back up between now and then I'm supposed to be hired full-time (and actually getting paid) this summer.I really need some income right now though.I'm worried about finding another job b/c the job market is kinda slim at the moment.

So the questions are:
Can I really afford to keep doing this for free?
Is this right or should I be paid something?
Should I just find another job?
What would you do?

sorry for the whine.:$[:/]

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Sounds to me like she's taking advantage of you. If I read your post right, she's taking away your paycheck and wants you to work for free. It is something you enjoy, then keep doing it until you can find a paying job somewhere but the reality is, working for free is costing you money. You time has value and she needs to understand that. My thought would be to walk away, and spend the time and effort you are expending there to find another job. I understand you are working on a degree in criminal justice, are you hoping to go into law enforcement? Have you considered getting a job with the state attorney's office as a clerk, or maybe with your local police department as a dispatcher? Good luck, I know it's tough and Im sorry to hear you are struggling.

Chuck Bryan

She's obviously trying to save her little newspaper by replacing paid staff with unpaid staff. Are the new skills you are learning worth working for free, at least for the time being? (It seems to me that most interns and apprentices get paid something, not nothing.) Are you attached enough to this job and this paper to help your boss potentially save it, and will she reward the loyalty when and if things turn around for the paper, or is she just using you?

Times are tough all over right now- lots of people in all sorts of businesses are being laid off or having their hours cut, very few businesses are hiring and with so many people out of work and looking, the market is very competitive. Companies are essentially getting the "pick of the litter" and paying them less. Those of us who still have jobs are sucking it up and dealing with increased hours and responsibilities and less money because we know it beats the alternative. That's the reality of today's economy. Only you know whether you can "afford" to work for free, or if you should try to find another job. And it really depends on how much you enjoy what you are doing, if you think things will change, and if you're getting any real benefit from learning these new skills. Face it, your situation at home might not be ideal but you do have a roof over your head and help from your family which is probably more than most of your colleagues have right now.

In the current climate, we see a lot more companies are putting more and more work on their staff and some are treating them poorly too (increased bullying).

We are more likely to just suck it up at the moment, as other job opportunities are few and far between - but the tables will (hopefully) turn.

But - Increasing your skill set can only work in your favour, in the long run

It is difficult to know what to do about it unless you have another job to go to (and there's no saying that that would be any better - unless you work for yourself.

Good luck and hope that it works out as you'd like.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I understand you are working on a degree in criminal justice, are you hoping to go into law enforcement?

I was hoping to graduate with my AAS in Criminal Justice and then go to the police academy but my overall health isnt good enough to do that at the moment (long story).So now I'm looking at revising my goals and trying to find a "desk job" in the criminal justice system.[:/]

Have you considered getting a job with the state attorney's office as a clerk, or maybe with your local police department as a dispatcher?

I havent considered the state attourney's office but now that you mention it I'm going to.I did part of my internship for the college at the police station in dispatching so thats a possibility too.Plus theres a Texas Youth Commission (juvenile corrections) facility here that is always screaming for help.The only problem there is the hours cant be worked around my school schedule so that job would have to wait until May when I graduate.Plus since my hometown is the county seat theres always the county Sheriff's Dept.

So yeah, I have options.I'm just kinda sulking because I really enjoyed this job compared to other "hell with flourescent lighting" jobs I've had in the past.lol!As far as the learning skills go for this job I'm not sure they'd help me out in other fields outside of this one,especially the specific program I'm currently learning to keep this job.

I think I'm going to keep at it a little while longer and if it doesnt pay off (figuratively and literally) then I'll start trying to get back into the CJ field.

<---- still thinks Moody would make a good lawyer and should consider a bachelor's degree and then law school, and it's a good time to be in school, since the job market sucks for pretty much everyone right now anyway. =)

this country has too many fucking lawyers now we need more engineers, fuck the lawyers....

Perhaps stated a mite strongly for my taste .. but I agree with the sentiment.

We (our country is the same in many respects) need people to actually do/make/invent stuff.

I say loose the B-Arcers (HHGTTG)

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

still thinks Moody would make a good lawyer and should consider a bachelor's degree and then law school, and it's a good time to be in school, since the job market sucks for pretty much everyone right now anyway. =)

How did I know you were going to say that?:P

Well I'm not even going to entertain the idea of law school at the moment BUT I *am* going to get my bachelor's degree in CJ.I'm graduating in May with my AAS and then I'm going to take a bit of time off from school before going on to my BS...but I am going to get it eventually.:)

Have you considered finding a job related to you interest / occupation? I probably would if in your circumstance. Good luck

I have entertained the thought of finding another journalism/photography job but as far as I can tell only those who're really good survive in this field.My writing and photography work is only alittle about average.:$

Plus its not like I'm going to school for something I dont like.I also enjoy the criminal justice field aswell and have lots of friends (and an exhusband) in this field.:)

"fuuuuck that. "

Yep.Thats basically what I finally told them this week when they said they wouldnt even give me gas money to get to and from work.So I quit.

So now I'm looking for a new job and still going to school.I'm hoping to get a job in my chosen field of study, so this might have been a good change for me.I'm hoping so anyway.:)
Thanks for all the PMs of support and encouragement.:$