SpeedRacer

A question for computer geeks: Computer security

I have a cable modem. I use Firefox as my web browser, but Internet Explorer is still installed. Is this a bad thing, security-wise? Does having two web browser applications installed make my computer any more vulnerable to viruses?
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I have a cable modem. I use Firefox as my web browser, but Internet Explorer is still installed. Is this a bad thing, security-wise? Does having two web browser applications installed make my computer any more vulnerable to viruses?

I wouldn't worry about that, I have three browsers installed myself. Just keep all software updated (particularly windows itself!)

Do you have a firewall or router in between you and the cable modem? Hardware or Software firewalls will work, but anything other then just direct access. There are way too many exploits targeting unpatched Windows systems that have general Internet access.

You really can't uninstall Internet Explorer, its built too tightly into the core of Windows for the most part. You are not at any more risk then normal for having two browsers installed.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

When you uninstall Windows Internet Explorer 7; Internet Explorer 6 is automatically restored on your computer. How cool is that?!?!?!
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

As the others have said, not at all.

Back that up with a good antivus (AVG or similar) and a firewall (Comodo or similar). PUtting a router in between your internet source and the computer is definitely recommended as well.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706