Copycat

Did I get scammed?

This is the PayPal claim report, as it was filed:
--------------------------------------------

Chronologically, 02/20: I posted an ad on www.dropzone.com, looking for a Cypres (an electronic device that open parachutes automatically at certain altitude) 02/28: I got a response from Reece Baldwin for a unit for a very good price, $200 (These units have a lifetime of 12 years, this, specifically had little over 2 years left). I replied the same day. 03/05: After asking about shipping prices, he answers on this date that 3-6 days shipping would cost $30, $4.95 for bubble wrapping, and that he couldn't remember if he asked $200 or $250 for the Cypres, so we should call it $250 for the unit+s/h. I agreed, still considering it's a good price. He said it was going to arrive after the weekend if I paid him with Western Union, but I insisted in using PayPal. 03/06: He gave me an email address to PayPal him, I paid him as soon as I could. 03/08: First email I sent to him to confirm payment, since he didn't write. 03/12: Still no word from him, second email pointing out that I did pay for 3-6 days shipping, and I didn't even get a payment confirmation from him. 03/13: Asked around www.dropzone.com forums if anyone could give me his phone number, and a very kind person replied with the phone number, and a sour deal that he did with Reece, in which he lost shipping money. I left a voice message on his answering machine. 03/15: He said he got the voice message, and that "his friend from Eloy sent the Cypres and should arrive soon". He also got angry and offended me for being insistent. 03/17: E-mailed him and left him a voice message asking for the Tracking Number, as sometimes packages get stuck in the Italian Customs, and I need to call to clear them. Since that date, I've been leaving voice messages and sending e-mails without a single reply, or tracking number, or package whatsoever. I have every single e-mail sent and received if you find necessary. These units also devaluate every day, and the person who has to install it has been waiting impatiently.

--------------------------------------------

Thanks so much! I didn't find this website on my many searches before. I'm e-mailing the whole staff!
Thanks again and blue skies!

-Patrik

:D:DNothing like a little vindictivness before morning coffee:D:D:D

I do hope it resovles for you though
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I called the other number I got (Alaska according to the ID), and it was his grandmother's house :$ and I think I made her cry. I didn't mean it, but she did tell me he was short on cash and asked her money, then he moved to chicago and didn't call her or anything, and she doesn't have any means to contact him. She was a very helpful and considerate lady.

I wrote to all the staff at skydive CSC, and I'm really hoping to get to the bottom of this soon.

Thank you all very much for the help and bluest skies!

Not to mention that there tracking information is literally useless

Yes, I've done a lot of eBay deals, and often used USPS either as shipper or recipient, and in the vast majority of cases, they never update their "tracking" info, so even after it has been delivered, there isn't even any proof it ever shipped. The only reason I use their (non)tracking service is because they have made it clear to me that w/o a tracking number, they won't even bother to try to find a lost shipment.

About a week ago an online bike-parts seller shipped something to me via USPS, and to my astonishment the USPS "tracking" service actually was updated when the delivery occurred. I was amazed.:o
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Not to mention that there tracking information is literally useless

Yes, I've done a lot of eBay deals, and often used USPS either as shipper or recipient, and in the vast majority of cases, they never update their "tracking" info, so even after it has been delivered, there isn't even any proof it ever shipped. The only reason I use their (non)tracking service is because they have made it clear to me that w/o a tracking number, they won't even bother to try to find a lost shipment.

About a week ago an online bike-parts seller shipped something to me via USPS, and to my astonishment the USPS "tracking" service actually was updated when the delivery occurred. I was amazed.:o

Yeah, I don't care where in the world is my package (because, as you said, it doesn't really work and they nevery update it) but if the italian customs don't find my phone number on the package, I have to personally call and give them the tracking # to clear it, otherwise it'll stay there for literally months until it either goes back to sender or gets destroyed.
Sadly, it works like this. He never send me a tracking number, so all I can think of, is that he never had the tracking number because he never sent the package.
I wrote countless emails to all his 4 addresses telling him this. Never got a reply.

I hope you get it resolved. I would contact paypal with all the information you've got now (other alias's ect). I've had to stay on top of paypal before to get my money back. In the end it's always worked out but I've had to put some work into it. good luck!!
I'm the twist that turns your key....

It's my understanding that if the seller cannot, or will not produce a shipping/tracking number for the item purchased, that PayPal will refund your money.
Why is PayPal dragging their/it's feet?

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

From PayPal's Resolution center:
------------------------------------------

We have completed our investigation of this case. We attempted to process a refund from the seller's account to your account. Unfortunately, the seller's account does not contain the funds necessary to cover this refund. We were able to recover $0.00 USD. We have taken action against the seller and are working to recover the remainder of your refund. We will contact you when we have more information. No further action is required of you at this time.

---------------------------------

I told them I could do a chargeback with my credit card (although my bank is in Sweden, and I'll have to travel there first) and they told me to wait for their veredict first. No idea what's taking so long, they just said the obvious thing: of course the money is gone if he stole from me!

PikzeeVikzen: I did send all the new info to paypal. Waiting for a reply.

Thanks!!

Oh! the plot thickens!! The "new" Reece Baldwin answered my email by saying: "You must have the wrong person".
Two minutes afterwards the "old" address Reece writes:

"as i told you the cypres was owned and sent to you by another party who needed an internet connection an me to list it he told me he sent it now I am out of the country for the next couple years and only check email once monthly"

To which I replied that someone has seen him working at Skydive CSC last weekend.
Hmm.

Some people are just a waste of space. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.

I think I would have tried to outsmart him and replied to the "new" Reece with the answer to the email from the "old" Reece. It would have taken some copy and paste to make the "new" email look like the old one if your account is set up to include prior emails in the reply but it would have been amusing. :)

Some people are just a waste of space. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.

I think I would have tried to outsmart him and replied to the "new" Reece with the answer to the email from the "old" Reece. It would have taken some copy and paste to make the "new" email look like the old one if your account is set up to include prior emails in the reply but it would have been amusing. :)

Actually it's worse. I just checked his "old address" reply and he has quoted the email I wrote to the "new address".
He outsmarted... himself? :D

Staff from his previous dropzone, email:

"Sorry to hear Reece has struck again..I gave Reece a chance to get back
on his feet by giving him a Job.. and the morning he left he tried to
Rip Off my Credit Card Machine in the Office..."

Damn, he's a criminal with split personality.

Staff from his previous dropzone, email:

"Sorry to hear Reece has struck again..I gave Reece a chance to get back
on his feet by giving him a Job.. and the morning he left he tried to
Rip Off my Credit Card Machine in the Office..."

Damn, he's a criminal with split personality.

The plot thickens. You'd think someone would have taken legal action against him for that one.

With the help of a very kind dz.com user I got the IP back to where he wrote the emails from, with a nice satellite photo of the area.
I wrote him to all his emails with the screenshot and the message:

"Is this where you're living, or just where the server receives your email? I don't mind, the guys at CSC are very helpful. Even Douglas (The DZM) seemed very interested in learning about your "Credit Card Machine incident" at Skydive Pepperell.
Think again about those $250. You have my PayPal address."

I'll post any updates.

From PayPal's Resolution center:
------------------------------------------

We have completed our investigation of this case. We attempted to process a refund from the seller's account to your account. Unfortunately, the seller's account does not contain the funds necessary to cover this refund. We were able to recover $0.00 USD. We have taken action against the seller and are working to recover the remainder of your refund. We will contact you when we have more information. No further action is required of you at this time.

---------------------------------

I told them I could do a chargeback with my credit card (although my bank is in Sweden, and I'll have to travel there first) and they told me to wait for their veredict first. No idea what's taking so long, they just said the obvious thing: of course the money is gone if he stole from me!

Personally, I would NOT wait another day to request a chargeback from your CC company. I'm not sure about European banking rules, but in the US, most CC companies will only do a chargeback for 60-90 days after the original charge.
If you continue to wait, and PP then decides that they are unable to help you, you're out of most legal options and your money.
The money shouldn't be unavailable because the sellers account is empty...it's PP's responsibility to back up the transaction as promised.
I use PP and other online banking companies, but DO NOT trust them at all.

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

I happen to know the person in question. Never had any problems with him on my end. he's always did what he said he was going to do. but that was with me. but i do think this is an issue that you need to discuss between yourself and the person in question, and what ever other authouities apply.

however, things you should learn from this:
1.) ask around 1st. ask his rigger if he even owns the gear he's trying to sell. (i called his rigger this morning after reading your post, and he doesn't own a cypress. so, possibly he was selling one 3rd party.)

2.) don't trust anybody. I think a certified check from your bank is 10x better than paypall, and inquire about it before you go buy something by contacting a DZ or ppl on DZ.COM and see how/who the person is.

3.) yeah he may of "scammed you" or "ripped you off", but your as much to blame as he is. YOU sent the money through a questionable means. Without doing the research that you did after the incident.

4.) if your cypress does come in the next few days...... now what? you've already sent out a bad vibe against someones reputation. are you gonna retract your statements? not that it matters cause you already defamed this persons name, and it would make you look like an "ass"?

5.) why in the world would you buy something for that price for something that has a few yrs. left? maybe you need to hang around your rigger or find a different one to ask advise for. obviously, and according to your profile, you have no sense or buisness, making these transactions by yourself.
"your the shit till you eat it !!!!!!!! damn that wall hurts..."

Certified Checks do not mean anything, expecially in dealing with overseas transactions. Fraudulent checks are extremely common and may take weeks to find out about. Your bank will accept it and then a few weeks later will take all the funds from your account since the check was fake or stolen.

PayPal is a fairly highly reguarded service, its rally hard to send money that does not exist since there are multiple steps to ensure the funds are really there along the route.

That price for a used Cypres is not bad, expecially with the weak US dollar right now. Overseas transactions are different then US transactions. Please keep that in mind before insulting another DZ.commer for buying something online.

The tranaction was handled correctly for overseas dealings except contacting the rigger or DZ.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

raymond_jones:
First of all, you're an imbecile not worth talking to. But for the sake of explaining your "points" I will answer them

A) I have done a THOROUGH research on him before anything. I knew the address where he lived in AZ, I knew his USPA licence, full name, phone number, workplace (AdOnNetwork) and where he worked as a video. But what a FUCKING difference does it make if I live in Italy?? It's not like I can go and knock on his door, or call the police, don't you think?

B) It's not like he's the first one I contacted about a used cypres. I had $250 to spend on a cypres, and that was the best deal I could get. Nobody here in my DZ had a used one in those conditions.

C) Certified check? What if I can't emit checks Sherlock?

D) "Questionable means"? PAYPAL? Do you live under a rock? I'm still waiting for them to cover my buyer protection, and if they don't cover the TOTAL ammount, I'm going to do a chargeback with my credit card. Problem solved. It's not all about money, you know? Reece is a thief.

E) If he DID send the package (I payed more than 3 months ago), why didn't he produce any documents that proved that when PayPal asked him during the dispute? Why didn't he give me a tracking number? PayPal clearly states that no tracking number = scam. PERIOD. I won't go to every single post office looking for the package.

F) Reputation my ass. I'm not the first one who had problems with him. Ask the DZM at Skydive Pepperell.
Hell, even his sweet grandmother spoke of how bad person Reece is. She said he couldn't pay his phone bill and went asking his 83 year old grandmother to pay for him.

G) Why would I buy something "with few years left"?? Do you know ANYTHING about skydiving? Do you know what the heck a Cypres is, what it does, and most importantly, how much a new one costs? Do you know it depreciates with time?

H) "No sense of business"? Man, I made more online transactions and more money than your brain is able to count numbers. And, based on what do you see I have "no sense of business"? My profile picture? yeah, I should've been holding dollar bills instead of wearing my rig.

Your post was pure and utter TROLLING. You're an imbecile, just like Reece is. That's why you two get along. Go back to the hole you came from, and don't bring bad vibes to this helpful comunity.

I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU POSTED SOMEBODY'S PERSONAL INFO IN A PUBLIC WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!?????????????!!!!!!!!!!

You have no sense of propriety.
>:(

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I don't have sense of property? He's the one that stole from me. He can burn in hell for all I care.
And I didn't post A SINGLE PIECE OF INFO that is not available somewhere else. I just compiled the info, and posted it here.

TROLL.

The tranaction was handled correctly for overseas dealings except contacting the rigger or DZ.

Thank you, PhreeZone. By the time of the deal he said he had just lost his job, and he didn't have a fixed DZ nor rigger. I couldn't contact any. And in fact, this was true. After he scammed me he moved to his grandmother's and afterwards to his current location near Chicago.
And he's not the "usual scammer" that knows nothing about rigs and repeats what he copied from eBay, he's a coach, skydiver, video with a D licence! How could I have known?
As I said, it's not about money. Either way, I'm getting it back. I just want him to at least feel guilty or sorry for what he did, and to not go unpunished for a crime.

Thanks to all of you that so kindly replied, helped me thru PMs, suggested me, pointed me to the right direction. You're a great comunity that sadly gets stained by a black sheep every now and then.

I won't be posting again, so bluest skies to you all! and if you come to Italy, lemme know!

Don't sweat it. You got scammed, keep the pressure up.

I'm all for second chances, but only after justice or a refund ;)

Crooks belong in jail, and skydivers who steal from skydivers are a special breed of scum. I'd worry if this guy was wandering around my home DZ.

I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU POSTED SOMEBODY'S PERSONAL INFO IN A PUBLIC WEBSITE!!!!!!!!!?????????????!!!!!!!!!!

You have no sense of propriety.
>:(

:S

No offense Pops, but if what Copycat says it true, I [B] [I] HOPE [/B][/I] Reese gets his identity stolen!
Maybe a little [B] forced salad tossing [/B] thrown in, if he ever goes to jail. (or at least hits his funny bone REALLY REALLY fucking hard!)

Doug. :D
I have never developed indigestion from eating my words.
Winston Churchill