mouth

1989 D silver PENNY

Yes, I said CENT or PENNY. Yes, I said silver (although I guess it could be some other shinny silver looking metal.) It looks just like a regular penny except it isn't copper. I tried to search for info on it but I'm computer illiterate except for basic stuff. I am aware they made them during WWII and on a few other occasions but can't find anything on the 1989 one.

Anyone got any knowledge of these things? Possible goof at the mint?
Value?

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

Yes, I said CENT or PENNY. Yes, I said silver (although I guess it could be some other shinny silver looking metal.) It looks just like a regular penny except it isn't copper. I tried to search for info on it but I'm computer illiterate except for basic stuff. I am aware they made them during WWII and on a few other occasions but can't find anything on the 1989 one.

Value?

The WWII pennies weren't silver, they were steel. I've had a few of them. I've never heard of a silver penny especially the 1989 one, can you take a pic and post it?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Value?

In my hometown there was a chrome-plating plant, and everyone I knew who worked there had the shiniest keys and usually a few silver pennies in his pocket. Are you sure it isn't plated?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Value?

In my hometown there was a chrome-plating plant, and everyone I knew who worked there had the shiniest keys and usually a few silver pennies in his pocket. Are you sure it isn't plated?

aha.... this sounds like the most plausible explanation. Never thought of that.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Not sure of anything honestly. That is why I'm asking. I have cleaned it with silver polish and it looks great. Keep in mind I live in Dublin, GA (yes, that hated town) so anything is possible but probably nobody here smart enough to actually make it themselves.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

You can put pennies into one of those real acidic bathroom or drain cleaner, let them soak for several hours and they will have the copper caoting eaten off. Pennies aren't solid copper. They are copper coated nickle. I've done that before and they look like a brand new shiney silver penny.

You can put pennies into one of those real acidic bathroom or drain cleaner, let them soak for several hours and they will have the copper caoting eaten off. Pennies aren't solid copper. They are copper coated nickle. I've done that before and they look like a brand new shiney silver penny.

Zinc, not nickel.
And when I looked it up I was surprised to see they are copper-plated.
I had thought the copper was mixed in.
So that could be a bare zinc penny.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

OR - it could be a legitimate error coin. If a planchet (the coin blank) from a dime or a nickel was accidentally mixed in with the penny blanks, you could end up with an error. The quality control in the Mint usually catch these errors, but they do escape.

Unplated Lincoln Zinc Cents
Zinc cents with copper plating have been minted since the middle of 1982. Sometimes the plating is partially or completely missing, resulting in cents with a silvery looking surface on part or all of the coin.

Completely unplated $100.
95% plated $50.
50% plated $20.
10% plated $10.

from the website http://www.coinsite.com/html/USErrorPrices.asp
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

Ran a search and these folks came up near you. Take it in and see what they say.
Middle Georgia Gold & Silver
478-272-7781
1825 Veterans Blvd # 100
Dublin, GA 31021
Fax: 478-272-1766

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Value?

The WWII pennies weren't silver, they were steel. I've had a few of them. I've never heard of a silver penny especially the 1989 one, can you take a pic and post it?

When I was a kid, we'd coat pennies with mercury and try to pass them off for dimes!:D It never worked.[:/]

:D

Chuck