op5e

Mirage G3 risers (i need new ones)

Hi all,

I have talked to a rigger and plan to contact mirage and a gear shop tomorrow but I was interested to see some more points of view.

I would like to get mini risers so I can stow my slider. Also I would like velcroless toggles as my toggles are getting tardy. And I would also like to go with softlinks. I like the look of the Aerodyne risers, and they have worked on my container before (when someone was using my rig with a pilot). I currently use a spectre 190.

So what do people think about using different risers than what came with the rig. What about mini risers for this rig. Any suggestions/information on using a different manufacturers risers on this rig. The rings appear to be suitable, what other things should I be consious of.

Personally I don't pick my rig components for "look". There have been a few threads about mixing and matching risers and it doesn't seem to be a big deal.

I just bought an extra set of Mirage velcroless mini-risers and they look pretty solid to me, have good brake-line slack keepers, and properly sized (for me) front dive loops. Can't ask for much more IMO.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Risers from all other manufacturers should fit your Mirage.
Circa 1993 the Parachute Industry Association published specifications for reinforced mini risers (small rings with 1 inch wide Type 17 webbing).
In 1998, (inventor) 3-Ring Inc./the Uninsured Relative Workshop published even tighter standards for manufacturing 3-ring risers.
The bottom line is that everyone should build their risers to the 1998 standard.
The only exception is Aerodyne's mini-force risers which are slightly longer from the middle ring to the white loop. Most existing harness have cutaway housings long enough to accommodate mini-force risers, but it is best to ask a rigger to confirm compatibility.

I have spoken to a dealer and they suggested I use the riser from the manufacturer. I kinda agree with this, that is why I was concerned enough to ask the question here.

I have decided to buy mini risers from mirage, they have the features I was after. Hard housing, loops on the front risers, soft links (suits my canopy), velcroless toggles and mini risers so I can stow my slider.

Just in terms of my comment on "liking the look" of the risers. I was refering to liking the features of the aerodyne system. But by the sound of it the newer risers from Mirage have what I am after.

Sounds good though there is no reason you must use Mirage risers.

I like the housing design on the VSE risers, I find it to be far superior to any other design.

As for soft links, they don't come with risers. They either come with the canopy, or can be purchased seperately.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I jump standard Mirage velcroless risers and have no trouble pulling the slider down the risers. If you are having issues stowing your slider on standatrd risers, it's most likely an issue with the size of your connector links.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

JP,

Do you have any photos (or know where I can find some) of VSE risers?

About four years ago, Kelly made me a set of regular risers for my old Infinity, but I am not familiar with the newest VSE mini-risers or the velcroless toggles.

Any help would be appreciated.

mike

Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills--You know, like nunchuk skills, bow-hunting skills, computer-hacking skills.