CBRnick

New rig advice please

Hi everyone.
Im looking for information on what sort of rig and canopy to look at as a first rig.
I have spent a while searching these forums and have read a few articles on new rigs here, but I havent managed to find exactly the information Im looking for.

Im currently about to finish my last consolidation jump and go right on to my FS1 course.

Ive decided Im going to buy new, not second hand. Im not going to rush out and buy anything on impulse and have been talking to a lot of experienced people including instructors and some master riggers about what sort of kit I should be looking at.

The Aerodyne Pilot canopy (probably a 190) and Aerodyne Icon is the setup that seems to come up over and over again.

So what Im looking for now is the opinion of anyone who has this setup or canopy.
Id like to know as much as possible what people who use this canopy think of it.
Handling, control, openings.
Pros and cons.
Anything at all that you can tell me about it please.
AS I say Im not rushing into any fast impulse buy, and Ill find a test rig somewhere I can try it for myself somewhere as well, but when I do buy, Id like to be able to make an informed decision based on both advice and other peoples experience.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Nick.

Hi,

http://www.dropzone.com/gear/Detailed/420.html<--- reviews on the pilot if you havent looked yet...

http://www.dropzone.com/gear/Detailed/420.html reviews of icon...

The best person to ask about this kind of thing are the instructors that have seen you jump, obviously we dont know anything about your landings etc.

i really like my pilot 188 (bear in mind i've only done 123 jumps and about 45 of those on this canopy, so i really dont know much...), i've already reviewed it so there isnt really much to add, but in my opinion it's a really nice intermediate canopy, quite forgiving, nice on heading openings every time (note that my packing is pretty terrible!) and fun to fly :)
i dont really know anything about icon, i went for wings (icon dont do tie dye ;))... you might want to consider how soon you think you'll want to downsize... i was adviced to go for a tight 190 container, so that i should be able to downsize to a 150 without any problem...

I (220 pounds exit weight) have only jumped the Pilot 150, loaded at 1.5 pounds per square foot.
I enjoyed the way it flew and landed. Pilots compete with all the other slightly-tapered 9-cells aimed at the junior to intermediate market: Sabre 2, Safire, Hornet, etc.
However, I would recommend that junior jumpers only load any canopy at 1 pound per square foot.

As for the Icon harness/container system, I have only repacked one, but found it simple and straight forward, very much like its predecessor: ATOM made by Parachutes de France.
I have always enjoyed packing ATOM reserves because they are simple and straight forward and such a "balanced" design that no single flap is more difficult to close, so that it is not until you finish that you realize how tight an ATOM is.
Icon is basically an ATOM with a few minor improvements. Icon has a nice rounded edge around the back of your neck. All the currently fashionable options are standard: stainless steel hardware, hip rings, RSL, tuck in reserve pin cover, line guides, etc. The main loop anchor looks over-built, but considering the grommet madness of 2000 and all the problems that Parachutes de France had with ATOMs made in 2000, it works.
The only way that Icon harnesses differ from their competitors is that lateral straps (from hip rings to the lower corners of the container) are slightly longer. This comes down to a matter of personal taste. For example, I would insist on 3.5 inch laterals to match my camera suit.
Aerodyne did a good job of matching canopy volume to pack volume so that it was easy to pack that Smart reserve into the recommended size of Icon. The result was firm, but not difficult to close. Aerodyne got their sizing chart right. Stick with volume numbers published by Aerodyne.Hint: If anyone asks me to repack a reserve that is significantly larger than recommended by Aerodyne, I will laugh them out of my loft!

In conclusion, if I needed a new rig, I would seriously consider buying an Icon/Pilot and Smart combination.

CBR,

this is a good article to read prior to purchase www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=43

I had to buy new gear to to my shape and size. I have an Infinity with a Raven III reserve and a Pilot 210. The Pilot 210 is an awesome canopy. I have over 100 jumps on mine and it's only opened abruptly once and that was due to poor body position. The openings are soft and on heading, but with that said, your body position and packing are the key variables in the opening sequence just like any other canopy.

The best folks to seek advice from IMHO is you instructor and rigger. they know you better than any of us.

Good Luck and Blue Skys,

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

My customer feedback is overwhelmingly positive on both the Pilot and the Icon.

The Pilot in particular has quickly become my best selling canopy. I have many customers who order the Pilot as a first canopy. I also have quite a few sales for jumpers in the 500 - 1500 jumps range.

The resale value has also been very positive. Making downsing (when and if the time comes) a bit less painfull to the old wallet. ;)

If you have any detailed or specific questions, feel free to PM me. I seem to be here quite a bit. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

but in my opinion it's a really nice intermediate canopy, quite forgiving, nice on heading openings every time (note that my packing is pretty terrible!) and fun to fly

Definitely true, my packing is pretty good but i've slapped it in the bag once or twice in a rush and have had one bad opening out of over a hundred on that canopy.

It's a lot of fun to fly and very forgiving. It's also a great canopy to learn to swoop with.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

>So what Im looking for now is the opinion of anyone who has this
>setup or canopy.
>Id like to know as much as possible what people who use this
>canopy think of it.
>Handling, control, openings.
>Pros and cons.

We now have three Pilots. Amy has a Pilot 140 that's her main canopy, and I have a Pilot 150 for wingsuit jumps and a Pilot 117 that I use as a backup for my 'regular' canopy (a Nitro 108.) All three of the Pilots have had consistently good openings, with the exception of Amy's 140 after the lines started to go. But a reline fixed the problem.

It flies a lot like a Sabre2, with a slightly better flare (but deeper) and a slightly shallower recovery arc.

I also have an Icon that has worked fine for me. Very 'standard' rig in terms of fit, maintenance, reserve repacks etc.