skydived19006

Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station Trivia

Trivia:

You can find out just about anything you'd ever be interested in knowing about the Amundsen-Scott Station on the internet. I have a few tidbits that you won't find with a Google search. One of my nephews is an electrician, and last year he saw a listing on the Union list for the South Pole. Long-Short he's doing a year down there.

So, who cares to guess what they do with the sewage they generate? There are in the neighborhood of 250 folks through the summer, and I think around 30 over winter.

Here are a couple of pictures from last summer (December). Monty is the one in the center behind the "South Pole" wearing glasses. There's one female in the pictures, can you find her in the "shirtless" one?

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Cool job. Pun intended. That'll be an experience that he'll remember and be proud of for his entire life.

I've attached another version of the "shirtless" photo, where I've brightened up the dark shadows from the poor lighting. Much to my dismay, I still don't see any shirtless chick. I guess she's the one hiding behind the guy on the far right?

Cool job. Pun intended. That'll be an experience that he'll remember and be proud of for his entire life.

I've attached another version of the "shirtless" photo, where I've brightened up the dark shadows from the poor lighting. Much to my dismay, I still don't see any shirtless chick. I guess she's the one hiding behind the guy on the far right?

Its the one next to the guy hiding.. with no shirt.. just a sports bra.
Kinda small framed too

You can see her at kneeling at the right in the fully clothed picture. She'd the one "hiding" behind the guy at the far right in the "shirtless" picture.

Ok, since nobody seems to be at all interested in the "pollution issue", I'll just tell you. They use glycol (anti freeze) heated from the electric generators to heat the station, and do a whole list of other things "heat related." They get their fresh water by drilling a hole in the ice (It's a couple of miles thick, with a top side elevation above 10,000') with a glycol heated drill, then hollow out the ice in an oval shaped cavity using the water. Once they're done with the fresh water, they move the water well, and dump sewage down the old hole. The ice shelf moves, I think something like 2' per year, so eventually these sewage blocks will make their way to the ocean. It'll be quite some time though, as they're something like 800 miles form the ocean.

Monty is responsible for being the first to bring beer pong to the South Pole. He had his little sister mail him ping pong balls, and Solo cups. He and the plumber also did a little Arkansas engineering and built the first hot tub at the south pole. Attached pictures.

Hey everyone I know you’ve been dying to see what has been going on at the south pole well here it is. The remarkable hot tub designed and built by the unstoppable force of monty and smitty, with much much help from Jason and big dan. The first picture is how we heat it it’s a heat exchanger brought in from the summer camp bathrooms that were shut down we tapped into the glycol lines that run through the building and use glycol to heat the water through the exchanger that way we only use enough power to pump the water. The second picture is of the hot tub just starting to get heated up the bubbles are brought to you via a compressor and airiator provided by Jason. There's not a lot of people that thought this could happen here but we've managed to build a hot tub that only uses about 600 watts of energy to heat it unbelievable!

Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Monty is responsible for being the first to bring beer pong to the South Pole. He and the plumber also did a little Arkansas engineering and built the first hot tub at the south pole.

That young man is going to go far in life.

Ask him if he has joined the 300 club yet....B|

I put my name in for a couple IT jobs down there for next year...

I WILL be joining the club if I get the job down there.:ph34r:

I did ask Monty about the 300 degree club. He said that it seldom gets to 100 F below, but if/when it does he plans on doing the run. For those who don't know or didn't do the Google search. Once it's 100 below, they heat the sauna to 200, then go from 200 above to 100 below and run round the Pole. I asked if it's still allowed to do it naked since the over winter crew was now coed. He said that there wasn't a rule against it, but it was discouraged. Seems that a fellow fell down a while back and frost bit his parts. 100 F degree below zero is right at the temperature of dry ice. Not good,

Martin

AC DZ

Ask him if he has joined the 300 club yet....B|

I put my name in for a couple IT jobs down there for next year...

I WILL be joining the club if I get the job down there.:ph34r:

I did ask Monty about the 300 degree club. He said that it seldom gets to 100 F below, but if/when it does he plans on doing the run. For those who don't know or didn't do the Google search. Once it's 100 below, they heat the sauna to 200, then go from 200 above to 100 below and run round the Pole. I asked if it's still allowed to do it naked since the over winter crew was now coed. He said that there wasn't a rule against it, but it was discouraged. Seems that a fellow fell down a while back and frost bit his parts. 100 F degree below zero is right at the temperature of dry ice. Not good,

Martin

Co ed is good. I would still do it:)

Co ed is good. I would still do it:)

I agree with co-ed being a good thing. As I'm sure you know, everyone going down, at least if they're staying for any time is required to undergo psychiatric screening. You wouldn't want to end up down there over-wintering with Jack Torrance.

If you get the job, good luck with the C-130 jump! I don't quite see it happening though. They may not even allow you to haul your gear down there.

AC DZ

I wintered at Pole in 2005. Did the 300 Club several times, from the old sauna in the Dome, which was better than the one in the new station. We hit a low of around -108F.

I go down south every austral summer. My picture is in the Mar 2009 issue of Parachutist, the "Around the World section".

Fun times! :o)