atsaubrey

Fat Guy canopies.

You've gotten a lot of advice here, however, I really think you do not understand the sport or the gear well enough to make an informed decision. You do not need a 330 or larger canopy, and a 350 is just rediculous. As someone has already pointed out canopies' and their performance do not scale in a linear fashion. At 84 jumps you should have the basics down and stand up nearly all of your landings. A gigantic canopy is not going to substitute for poor canopy skills. At your size you NEED to land well as even minor landing errors can cause things to break, twist, or snap. Big guys hit harder , and giant guys will be that much worse. If you are sure that you can't (or are too scared to try) land an air barge 288, you are in trouble. A 288 at 1.21 is incredibly docile, yet would have a very powerful flare.

You are pushing all of the limits of gear in terms of your size. At your weight your belly speed is approaching freefly. All of your deployements are going to exceed what sport gear is rated for in terms of speed and weight. Now add to that poor skills and a healthy does of fear, and you are just asking for it.

Learn to fly a canopy. Do not accept that you "land like crap". Trying to use gear to compensate for lack of skill is a very bad idea.

BTW, I'm about 285 out the door, so I do have a little knowledge on this. My first canopy was a f-111 PD 230 that I got at jump 20. On that canopy I was loading higher than you on a 288. It was never difficult to land.

Best of luck.

Do not accept that you "land like crap"

Which brings up a good question. At, have you had some one with some experience test fly your main? It's a demil'ed F-111 canopy which means that it could quite possibly have a large number of jumps on it. Given that F-111 loses flare power after several hundred jumps, it's imporant to know if your canopy is "ragged out". If it is, it could definitely be a factor with hard landings. Especially considering the lower flare pwoer of a seven cell and the fact that your jumping at a DZ with an elevation a significant amount above sea level in hot tempatures.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Performance Designs make 305 and 335 square foot reserves for their military customers. Ask them if they will sell you one.
Hint PD305 and PD 335 resrves are listed on CPS's website. CPS is the military sales rep for PD, RWS and SP.
As for the legality of a civilian (FAA) rigger repacking a military pattern reserve, it's okay as long as he has the military manual ....

here is nancy's response from JumpShack.....(I don't think I told her your jumps numbers, I was thinking 350 or even 400 Firebolt)

"I've been REALLY busy, hope I'm not too late to respond. I'd love to talk to this guy on the phone to see if he is a "healthy 350 pounds out the door" - like Shaquille O'Neill and not just fat, if you know what I mean. Yes, the FireBolt 350 would be an excellent choice for him as would the FireBolt 300. I'd like to talk to him about his canopy skills and more. Absolutely reccomend that he call me!
Thanks,
Nancy"

rm

i talked about the Firebolt but wasn't sold on going eliptical at this point.

loaded below 1:1 it may be suitable. hope you talking to people like Nancy at JumpShack and not basing your decision on people who happen to respond to your question on DZ.com --- nothing can replace picking up the phone and talking to someone who will supply the entire system (container, main, reserve and aad) and who will need to stand behind that recommendation. of course, this is just my opinion and I am not even a rigger....

rm

I'd love to talk to this guy on the phone to see if he is a "healthy 350 pounds out the door" - like Shaquille O'Neill and not just fat, if you know what I mean.

I would love to know the answer to this. Judging by his avatar, I would say it’s a little of both. Right now, you are more at risk of myocardial infarction than a botched landing on a tiny:D 280. This thread should be a wake up call. Maybe the $3000 would be better spent on a gastric bypass?

I'd love to talk to this guy on the phone to see if he is a "healthy 350 pounds out the door" - like Shaquille O'Neill and not just fat, if you know what I mean.

I would love to know the answer to this. Judging by his avatar, I would say it’s a little of both. Right now, you are more at risk of myocardial infarction than a botched landing on a tiny:D 280. This thread should be a wake up call. Maybe the $3000 would be better spent on a gastric bypass?

Ever think about saving your skydiving money to get the operation to correct that rectal-cranial inversion?:S

He is a bigger person then you are thats for sure.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Ever think about saving your skydiving money to get the operation to correct that rectal-cranial inversion?

Wow, a bon mot reply to my obdurate witticism. You deserve a medal. Predictable but worth the kudoz!

Besides, I’m saving the money for a speed boat.

UntamedDog