Zoter

Another Wings Question....

I put a Wings cordura pouch on my Dolphin. The only difference other than more durability is the elastic is only at the mouth, and not throughout the length. Lasts longer and costs about the same.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Lovely ...thanks guys
I have another question that would probably be solved easier by just looking at one.....but hey !

The general consensus seems to be the cordura pouch is 'more secure' than a spandex......but if the cordura does not stretch....how can it effectivley hold the pilot chute with more tension than a spandex one ( which will stretch to accomodate itself to the exact size of the PC....

How....is the cordura BOC pouch more secure than a spandex one....??

Cheers

It only has elastic at the mouth, so along the rest of the length the PC material spreads out and is not under pressure from any elastic trying to squeeze it out.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Lovely ...thanks guys
I have another question that would probably be solved easier by just looking at one.....but hey !

The general consensus seems to be the cordura pouch is 'more secure' than a spandex......but if the cordura does not stretch....how can it effectivley hold the pilot chute with more tension than a spandex one ( which will stretch to accomodate itself to the exact size of the PC....

How....is the cordura BOC pouch more secure than a spandex one....??

Cheers

I wouldn't make that argument. The cordura pouch is more durable than a spandex one, and will last longer before maintenance is needed. (And it matches if your container is not black! ;))

I think the "security" is the same in both cases, the pilot chute will not deploy without having been deliberately deployed by the hackey.

Well, the way I fold my PC I have only the little strap from the Pud to the Apex and the bridle at the actual elastic location, the PC fabric remains expanded inside the pouch.
As the pouch itself does not squeeze the fabric, it doesn't push it against the elastic from the inside. Also, the pud overlaps the elastic a bit. I'd never take a spandex BOC again.
Sometimes I need a bit higher pull force as I noticed, but no hard pull danger.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I wouldn't make that argument. The cordura pouch is more durable than a spandex one, and will last longer before maintenance is needed.

A happy medium is an option that most other manufacturers are offering: "spandura". Yet another fabric from the people formerly known as DuPont, Spandura is a happy medium between Cordura and Spandex. It's a hybrid fabric made with woven fibers of Cordura, Supplex, and Lycra. It ends up with the wear properties of Cordura, along with some of the stretchiness of Lycra (spandex). It's actually a bit stiffer than Spandex, which does add to security of the pilot chute.

Aerodyne offers it as stock, RWS puts it as stock on all their student gear, not sure about others. I'm sure Wings would be willing to use it, if he asked.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I have it. Like it.

But... havng said that, the elastic at the mouth did give away partially on jump 58 and if another jumper didn't notice it the pilot chute wouldn't have left the container :o

Took just a minute to re-sew it, but it was definitely an eye-opener for careful inspection of your entire container.

Jen
Arianna Frances

If the elastic gave way.....why would this have prevented the PC leaving the pouch??
Wouldnt it be more likely to come out prematurely without the elastic 'keeping it in'

could you explain what happened on your rig please....ta

I like the spandex. No matter how I wad the pilot chute in there, it can be readily pulled out. On my previous rig, the spandex lasted 1200+ jumps. I replaced the pocket before selling it to its new owner. Either material works fine, so get what you like.

I would have to agree with this. Here's something to bear in mind when you are looking at these 'new' options...;)
My first rig (from 1987) had a cordura and elastic pilot chute pouch (legstrap), and the rigger who checked it out for me tutted and shook his head and told me it was old-fashioned and I should get it replaced by a new spandex one instead.

It seems that apart from the advantage of the spandex pocket holding the pilot chute more securely, there could also be a problem if you have a horseshoe malfunction - the tension on the bridle could knot the pilot chute up solid in the pocket and make it impossible to remove. Therefore when I was learning to pack it I was taught that it was very important to pack it with the bridle attachment next to the handle at the mouth of the pocket.

I did a bunch of jumps with the cordura pocket, but never really liked it, so I then had a spandex BOC pocket put on (the next new fashion!) and I've never looked back - never had a problem with spandex in 15 years or even needed to have a pocket replaced (yet...). Still pack my pilot chute with the bridle attachment at the top though!

Anyway, even with modern rigs which have much better bridle protection, and presumably well designed and tested pockets, I still personally wouldn't go back to a cordura pocket. If you like it that's fine, but I'd recommend messing around with it on the ground and trying out different scenarios to see what happens.

Just my $.02 - but I like the idea of that spandura, might be the best of both worlds...

Is it me, or do I sound old?!! [:/]

Cheers,
Martin

Only part of the elastic gave way which created a snag point -actually on mine the hackey had gone through the slipped elastic and if I attempted to pull it would essentially have been locked in by the elastic that was no longer attached to the pouch.

Jen
Arianna Frances