Advice for kid joining US Army?

My nephew just graduated from HS and is joining the Army. He has expressed interest in Rangers or other special ops groups. His AFQT was 95+. He's a little guy, but is really good at tennis and rock climbing. I told him to stay away from dopers, but don't know what else to say. Anyone with experience have any advice that I might pass along to him? Thanks.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

My nephew just graduated from HS and is joining the Army. He has expressed interest in Rangers or other special ops groups. His AFQT was 95+. He's a little guy, but is really good at tennis and rock climbing. I told him to stay away from dopers, but don't know what else to say. Anyone with experience have any advice that I might pass along to him? Thanks.

Above all else: GET IT IN WRITING!!

Too many stories that start with, "...but, my recruiter said..."

If he's interested in the Rangers, he can get RIP (Ranger Indoctrination Program) in his contract. However, if I were him, I would sign up as an 18X, and try to get into Special Forces. It's not the old school way to do it, but if he's not a sh*t-bag, he'll shine and the old-timers will mentor him.

It boils down to getting things in writing. Since he graduated high-school, he should be able to come in as an E2, or E3, maybe E4 if he can refer a buddy.

Has he considered ROTC? It's fun to make fun of officers, but it's not something to overlook.

Since he's mentioned that he's interested in SpecOps, etc., has he considered the MOS (Military Occupational Specialty)? 11B (Infantry) can be tough, but lay out a good track for Rangers and SF.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Above all else: GET IT IN WRITING!!

Agreed!

I would sign up as an 18X, and try to get into Special Forces. It's not the old school way to do it, but if he's not a sh*t-bag, he'll shine and the old-timers will mentor him.

And prepare him to hear 'f*kin x-rays!' ALOT!

The Army is fun at times, but it sucks at times... Im trying to set myself up for a fun couple years if Gawain would hurry up and get me my slot on the team ;)

Its what you make of it. Just dont let him do something he wont like, like fuel guy, truck driver, or cook... never met a happy one of either of those.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

My sister (his mom) knows a local cop who is ex-Rangers, and he's been helping with the paperwork side. He has all the money and grades necessary to go to college, but just isn't interested at this point. He wants to be an infantry soldier, but I don't know if that's what you mean by 11B. Thanks.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

My sister (his mom) knows a local cop who is ex-Rangers, and he's been helping with the paperwork side. He has all the money and grades necessary to go to college, but just isn't interested at this point. He wants to be an infantry soldier, but I don't know if that's what you mean by 11B. Thanks.

Rangers are cool and I would be lying if I said I knew the culture within the 75th Ranger Regiment, I've had the pleasure of meeting and working with dozens of guys from Special Forces and they are cut-above for sure.

11B is the MOS code for Infantry in the Army. Knowing what I know (as an 11B myself), and if I were that young, I'd go 18X hands-down, no doubt about it. Like was previously mentioned, the Army can suck at times, but the whole experience is pretty good (and I've had quite the experience).

18X would entail the following: Going to Basic Training and AIT at Fort Benning, GA (called OSUT, One Station Unit Training) for infantry training, then you go to SF Selection and Assessment and I think Airborne School after that. Once that's done, if you make it, you'll test and go through Q-Course, which trains in a specific specialty (18B-Weapons, 18C-Engineers, 18D-Medical, 18E-Commo, 18F-Ops/Intel edit to add: 18F is not usually assigned to junior NCOs or new recruits).

In any situation, if he doesn't make it in SF, or RIP or whatever, he becomes "needs of the Army" and shuffled to wherever.

Good stuff either way, and I wish him the best. Remember, Basic Training is a "game" of sorts, mentally prepare and physically kick ass. Many folks difficulties in the Army are self-induced.
Make light!

Im trying to set myself up for a fun couple years if Gawain would hurry up and get me my slot on the team ;)

You're confusing me with someone that has power or influence...;)
Make light!

Everything Gawain said, plus :

Don't drop the soap in the shower.

If a drill sergeant yells "Get Down !!" (for push-ups), yell back "We can't get down drill sergeant, there ain't no music".

And finally, don't leave your laundry unattended. 11bravo's are nasty fuckers, they'll even steal your underwear.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

And finally, don't leave your laundry unattended. 11bravo's are nasty fuckers, they'll even still your underwear.

There is only one thief in the army... Everyone else is just trying to get their sh*t back!

(Quote from BCT DS)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Thanks Max. I'm just passing replies on to my sis, so she can give them to her son.

-NickDG

When I first joined the Army (1975) I went the 11B route. It left me woefully unprepared when I started looking for employment on the civillian side of the house. My advice is to seek an MOS in comunications, or MI. Those type of skill sets can help out when he re-enters civillian life. What ever his choice I wish him all the best!!

Getting it in writing is very excellent advice. My friend was made many promises that were never fulfilled regarding the army paying for his education: promises which were factors in him choosing to join.

I thought I read somewhere that it doesn't have to be put in your contract if it is a benefit that is available to all service members (like the GI Bill). However money that isn't available to everyone (bonuses) has to be in the contract if you wanna see it. I could be wrong.

Is it true that you can't enlist as a guaranteed 11B you have to enlist as 11X and will then be assigned 11B or 11C? Cause I wanna be an 11B but I have a feeling I wouldn't enjoy 11C.

Oh yeah I know you probably aren't a recruiter but is there any talk of when they will start processing moral waivers? I've heard possibly in October when the new fiscal year starts.

"All you need to do is stand up real straight, make your bed real neat, and always answer every question with 'Yes, Drill Sergeant ' " Forrest Gump

I just gave up command of an Infantry training battalion at Fort Benning last year. I will second everyone's recommendation of "get it in writing." Once the privates got to me, it was too late to change things, except in very limited circumstances.

Recruiters don't necessarily lie, but they do package the truth attractively. They are salesmen. They will tend to steer guys to where they have quotas to meet. So, tell him to hold out for what he wants. Don't buy the line that "there are no openings available for X, or Y, but have you thought about Z?" He probably has a requirement to fill "Z" that month.

I would recommend against going 18X (SF Option) because: 1) I am old school and feel you have no business going Special Forces unless you are an experienced officer or NCO who has mastered the basics and developed some maturity in the Army. 2) I saw lots of wide-eyed young 18 year olds who got all hyped up about being a "Green Beret" who when confronted with the reality of Army life, and that things were not near as easy as they thought, dropped out of the program. They were now "11B, Needs of the Army." In my personal opinion, 18X is a bit of a scam. It gets guys in the door, but the attrition rate is very high and once a guy bolos out, you have an 11B. If he is truly interested in Special Ops, I would recommend going the Ranger or Airborne route as the entry level for a private.

Beyond that, especially if going to Fort Benning:
- Be in shape and be aclimatized. 90 degree + humid temperatures are common at Fort Benning in the summer. Infantry is an outdoor sport and a contact sport.
- Do what you are told.
- Help your buddies and pitch in on any task.
- You have made a commitment and signed a contract. You can't just try it out to see if you like it and if not, quit (you'd be amazed at the number of guys who believe that).
- Be ready for the culture shock of leaving behind your former life. No cell phone, no internet, no contact with the outside world for at least the first 3 weeks, and very little after that. For the current generation of young people who have been on line and connected their whole lives, this is a HUGE shock.
- You will face the reality that you are not as tough as you claim to be, but you will find out that you are a lot tougher than you truly think you are.

Follow Me!

CDR

I would strongly suggest:
College. ROTC.
By graduation, he will have a solid idea of what to do when it comes time to enter as a commissioned officer.
By then he will have a better idea of what he really wants and how to get to where he wants to go.

Kids that age tend to have bright lights in their eyes only to find out that it was a train coming at them.

Too late now but it would have been good to do ROTC in high school. He could have earned a free ride to college.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I would strongly suggest:
College. ROTC.
By graduation, he will have a solid idea of what to do when it comes time to enter as a commissioned officer.
By then he will have a better idea of what he really wants and how to get to where he wants to go.

The only caveat with that is that you don't get to choose your branch, and it can be far more difficult to pursue certain parts of the Army (like going into Special Forces for example).
Make light!

Dude one more thing:

Make sure he knows that he is signing up for an EIGHT YEAR commitment regardless of active duty enlistment time.

If he does a three year enlistment and gets out, he's on IRR (Inactive Ready Reserve) for five more years, subject to recall if needed. It's possible, and it does happen often, that he could be stop-loss, though I've been told they've suspended that action for the foreseeable future.

With regards to what CDRINF noted, his points about 18X programs are correct, there are many that perceive that as the "easy way" in, but with those that I've met, the differentiating factor is attitude. If your nephew goes in knowing that he doesn't know shit, even after graduating OSUT/Basic Training, he'll be right where he needs to be.
Make light!

Best advice...dont do it, unless of course he believes in fighting for a lost cause. I am in the Army, and am only glad I joined for the experience, as far as believing in what I do...that all melted away with a little common sense and a deployment to Iraq. I hate being a pawn for a government that has personal implications in war, lies to its people and soldiers, and for a government who conducts false flag operations...9-11. My 2 cents[:/]

-Evo

Zoo Crew

moral waivers

WTF is a moral waiver?
Also - not sure if this is still true - when I was in you had to sign up for the GI Bill. It wasn't automatic.

The GI Bill changed recently... the benifits have been expanded...

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/benefits.htm#CH33
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...