Joellercoaster

(UK) jumpsuit manufacturers

Once again, I can't get out to a DZ for a while and can't just let the matter rest.

I need a jumpsuit pretty soon, as my local DZ really prefers to keep its suits for students - one of whom I will not be for long. I don't want to just grab something cheap or bodge something; I want a suit I'll still be wearing in a couple of years.

I see people wearing all kinds of stuff for RW, including Bev and Tony suits - is this an indication that local manufacturers aren't up to scratch for really nice suits? Or is it just people who happened to pick something up while they were in the States? (I will be there in a while, so this is an option but not preferred as it's still a few months.)

For the foreseeable future I expect/want to be doing FS. So grippers, booties, etc. My fall-rate is medium now, but I have some range and it's expected to get much better - six foot five (tall), eighty kilos (slim) and very flexible, if this is a consideration in choosing a manufacturer.

Obviously I'd prefer local (can probably also do Europe) but if that's not the best thing to do, I'd like to know that too. What are people's experiences?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

You'll be after a symbiosis suit then. You'll find them at Headcorn DZ south of London where the person who makes it will measure you up.

Their website is here: http://www.symbiosis.suits.btinternet.co.uk/

No; US made suits in the UK does not mean symbi aren't up to scratch - their suits are easily a match for any of the top US names and in many ways much better.

If there are any other UK suit manufacturers, I'm not aware of them - I'm sure others will post details if there are.

You'll be after a symbiosis suit then. You'll find them at Headcorn DZ south of London where the person who makes it will measure you up.

Yep, I am from the US and I IMPORTED a symbi suit because I did not want to wear a Tony or Bev because everyone else had one...

Great suit. Love it. And I hear people every once in a while behind my back say things like, "that is a cool suit."

I am a loyal customer.

As mentioned above, Symbiosis have a very good reputation as far as I am aware.

If you are looking for other manufacturers in the UK then Thomas Sports make (or sell) the aircare range of jumpsuits http://www.thomas-sports.com/index.swf

I'm very happy with my Symbiosis suit, but the aircare suits may also be good; I've not tried one of their recent ones.

Thomas Sports made my suit, They are local to my DZ & I got measured on the Monday & had it on Wednesday as a rush job,usual time is a couple of weeks

I would if I were you get the supplier or manufacturer of the suits to measure you for fit rather than try to do it yourself for several reasons as it is not the same as getting measured for clothes etc

Here is my 50c worth on european jumpsuits.

Symbiosis - Whilst I have a Symbi SloPo which does give me excellent range I do have issues with the build quality. The zips they use are absolute rubbish, my booties regularly come undone in free fall, that is to say the zips split, not unzip. I will be getting some better quality zips fitted in the next couple of weeks.

Partasport Italia - Whilst I have not jumped one of these myself I have seen a number of them around the DZ. At the moment we have the RAPA champs on and the guys from Nethers are wearing them here, check out Smudge Smiths or Cookies when they get back. These suits look bullet proof and have some very good features. If you dont know Smudge or Cookie then just ask any of the Nethers staff to point them out and tell them Buzz said hi.

Rainbow - I have owned a camera suit and currently have a Raptor FS suit and FF pants made buy this German manufacturer. There kit is the BMW/Merc/Porche of jumpsuits, made to excellent standards and I can heartily recomend both FS and FF kit.

Parasport and Rainbow are both more expensive than Symbi but you get what you pay for. Speak to the Freds about Symbi and you will probably hear the phrase "buy cheap, buy twice"

As I said this is just my 50c.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

I bought an raptor FS suit from Rainbow that I'm really happy with... the quality is excellent and it fits really well... i can't fault it really...

i jump at Headcorn so most people have Symbiosis suits for obvious reasons and I havent heard anyone complain... i got all my gear through skydive Lillo otherwise i would probably have got a symbiosis suit...

Skydive Lillo can hook me up with a Rainbow suit? That's worth considering, since I'm 80% sure I'll be there in about two weeks' time for a few more jumps, and won't be able to get out to Headcorn to talk to Symbiosis anyway...
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

He'll be measuring me for a rig the weekend after next, so ya reckon I can get a discount for dual-purpose tape use? ;)
--

i have an excel from symbi which i love.. i've put over 200 jumps on it and its still like brand new, no complaints.. i had a rigger alter it slightly when i stacked on a few pounds... i can honestly say its the best FS suit i've jumped... ovbiously some suits will fall apart, thats the same regardless of who you buy off... i've seen rainbow suits come apart, even though i've got rainbow FF pants which are bombproof... its luck of the draw to a certain extent.. look after your kit and it'll look after you.

original lizard i think is the new competition in the FF world though, i think their suits knock spots off rainbow in terms of performance.. cant comment on quality as ive not put many jumps on them but all the ones ive seen including mine seem very robust...

enjoy your rainbow suits though... as has been stated... typically german!
quote 'you are to go around... next time extend your landing gear'

Here's my Scottish pound note:

Symbiosis: Singlehandedly keeps me up with my friends! I have a eXceL SlowPo with polycotton chest that takes my fallrate from 150+ to a range of 105-125...enabling me to dock on the outside of 14-ways! I have no problem with the build quality, in fact I think it is excellent. B|

Original Lizard: I love my OL freefly suit, I have used it to destruction...literally! I have probably worn it more than any other single item of clothing over the past 3 years, and it finally gave up the ghost 2 weeks ago. Chappy's FF suits rock! B|
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

If buying the symbi suit make sure you go for the competition (Excel) suit, nothing is more annoying then looking at people who have pityful grips and booties on their suits! These things help make the most of an FS jump, so don't try to save a couple of pounds that you'll regret later.

My suit has about 250-300 jumps and a couple hours tunnel time on it and i've not had any problems with the zips, but i've heard plenty of people saying that the zips are the week spot of the suits.