PLFXpert

CatGenie

It is awesome!

I first heard about it here.

So, it took a while to order one because of location. I am ALL about location before anything else. One thing led to another and...

I renovated our master bathroom (to studs & dirt below the foundation) to make a proper place for the CatGenie. :S:)
It tis awesome!

Now, all I need is a spotlight installed in the ceiling just above it. :P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

How’s it going? Still happy with it? I’m seriously thinking about getting one for my new place.

Had any significant problems that you wished you knew about beforehand?

How did you get your cats to switch from the old litter box to the cat genie? Just put it in the same place and they figured it out?

Would appreciate hearing from anyone else [Nightingale, Drew?] that’s got a catgenie too!

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

I'll disagree about that damm thing. My roommate had one of those. Kept clogging all the time and stank the whole place up. The thing always beeped because the chemicals were empty. Noisy too. She finally got rid of it and went to a traditional cat box. It smells a lot better now.
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

I wondered about those myself. I think the idea is really cool. I'm not sure I would ever spend the money or go through the trouble of getting one "installed" without knowing at least a few people who used them and just loved them. I've used the "LitterMaid" before with mixed results, and finally came to the conclusion that if you had more than one cat, it was just as much work (if not more) as a regular litter box. Those cost a lot less and just need to be plugged in, not hooked up to the plumbing!

I dunno, I can't justify spending almost threehundred bucks on one of those things. As for those who claim it is more environmentally friendly, well I don't know. With all that water and chemicals, its highly unlikely.
If you don't want to handle cat poop and have a spare bathroom you can always toilet train your cat, it's much cheaper.
http://www.citikitty.com/How-CitiKitty-Works-s/12.htm

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

Hows it going? Still happy with it? Im seriously thinking about getting one for my new place.

We've had ours for over a year and a half now. It's still wonderful. You flush the toilet an extra time each day, drop a cartridge in every 30 days, rarely add new granules, and might fix a couple clogs during hairball season.

Problems have included warranty replacement of the "processing unit" because it stopped recognizing the cartridge (the revenue model seems to emphasize consumable sales, with a non-volatile chip in the cartridge limiting uses like an ink-jet cartridge), immediate replacement of the replacement because it wouldn't dry, and a couple clogs during hairball season plus when my mom brought a fabric toy which Willard ate and passed pieces of (the impeller is plastic so while it breaks feces it doesn't cut anything, and the outlet hole in the impeller pump chamber is smaller than the hose).

Warranty service is great. They ship out the new part and include a shipping label to get the broken piece back in the same box.

How did you get your cats to switch from the old litter box to the cat genie? Just put it in the same place and they figured it out?

Exactly.

With one or more cats you want a cat genie. Disconnect it for weekend excursions if you're worried about a hairball clog.

We had one and didnt like it. We ended up getting rid of it. The cats didnt much like it. We had one of these and still used a regular one and they prefered the regular one.

Was there a specific or even general reason why you (or your wife) didn't like it? Did something not work the way you expected? More work than you expected? Did you keep both the CatGenie and the old regular litter box at the same time?

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Had any significant problems that you wished you knew about beforehand?

No problems at all!

I should note, we have yet to use the automatic function. Thus far, we manually start the cleaning cycle when needed.

The Genie comes with a guide with tips on how to acclimate your cats to their new "litter box".

Since we were moving their usual location altogether, we first put their old litter box in the new location for about a week. When we caught them using it, we gave them treats next to their box immediately afterward. The cats did not seem to mind the new location and took to it right away.

Once we switched to the Genie it took several days before our cats used it. This was not a huge concern as both our cats spend an hour or so a day outside. Sabre stays in the backyard and has never once attempted to jump the fence or leave. Zoe' never goes farther than the neighbor's house.

A rainy 5th day resulted in the kitties missing their outside time and by Noon both cats had used the Genie. :)
Both our kitties prefer going outside and always have--like dogs trained to hold it until they are let out. But, both cats use the Genie a couple times a week.

I LOVE not having to change the litter or scoop it each day. It surprisingly has been less messy than our old littler box which always had a ton of litter spilled all around it that needed to be cleaned up each day--likely due to the clumping factor of traditional litter making it stick to paws & fluffy butts. Very few CatGenie granules end up outside the bowl and when they do, I just grab a dust pan to collect them and put them back in the CatGenie bowl before starting the cycle. This way I should rarely--if ever--need to purchase more granules.

For us, it has worked out wonderfully. Less mess. No smell (we run it immediately after we hear kitty use it). No scooping into plastic bags and taking to the outside trash. No changing litter liner & litter.

I love it! :)

It is awesome!

Totally agree!

Have had mine for almost 2 months, and it is fantastic!

One of my cats took to it with no problem; the other was a lil' bit of a challenge. But he figured it out too ... eventually.

Thanks to you, and everyone else too, for the recommendations!

/Marg

Tibetan Buddhist saying

I had a friend who toilet trained her cats- the only problem was that they really did not differentiate between the toilet, the bathroom sink or the kitchen sink. Gross!

OUCH! That was a shitty thing to do!

I toilet trained my inside male just about 3 years ago, and unles I do something stupid, like not warn a guest to keep the lid open, he takes care of biz without a problem.

It's mighty nice to never buy, pour, scoop or dump litter! Smells nicer too!

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

Wonderful! :)
I noticed your link in an SC thread and figured you were happy.

I really did renovate our master-bath keeping "where the CatGenie will go" in mind. :$:P I LOVE the new bathroom and am still very pleased with Genie.