grue

Type 8 vs Type 17, Mini vs Large 3ring for me?

I'd think the primary purpose of an RSL is to get the reserve out when needed, even if you can not (or don't have enough time to) ask for it.

And I think that my goal is to never put myself in a position that I dont have enough time to ask for it... That's why we have "hard decks" :P ... A malfunction is no reason for loss of altitude awareness, I've been very aware of my altitude in both of mine throughout the entire event.

...and that you tend to need that reserve to open quite often.

Yea, I should be good for the next couple thousand jumps :ph34r:

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

And I think that my goal is to never put myself in a position that I dont have enough time to ask for it... That's why we have "hard decks"

Granted, but lots of things can happen between one's hard deck and the ground. Someone tearing through your canopy at 1,100ft (there's a video somewhere of someone going through that at around 800ft) may leave you with no option (a canopy trasnfer maybe?). There may be some damage in the canopy which were not noticed upon inspection and got worse as it was flown, etc... My own interpretation of my hard deck: my canopy is not safely landable when I reach it, it's gone. But it doesn't mean that I may not have to chop it below my hard deck... I may be wrong. Just my take on it, and I'd love some feedback on that. Although it may be the wrong thread.:$

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I see that aspect of it, ... however, even at 500 feet you should be able to pull both handles in time to have enough room for the reserve opening that's supposed to happen within 300ft right? Not that I would want to find myself there, RSL or not... :P Might be a shitty landing, but you should survive... I just dont see how the RSL can be *THAT* much faster than me, we are talking a second between cut away and reserve handle pulling.. ...

To RSL or to not RSL... The question people will argue for along time :D

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

There are a lot of dead skydivers who thought they were fast, competent and would never lose altitude awareness.
If you think you can cover all scenarios, you would be the first skydiver who could.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

OK, guess I came off a bit wrong there, ... But, bottom line, I made a decision to get rid of it, and I made that decision because I feel safer without it. Some people agree with me, others dont.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...

[newb] The collins lanyard on Vectors will release the non-RSL riser, should the RSL riser go away. It looks pretty elegant. It is available with or without the Skyhook.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

I have about 5 reserve rides from malfunctioned mains. Only the last one involved an RSL (I put one on finally for all the reasons people are giving you).

My altitude was fine, and I was going for the reserve handle right after cutting away (I find I end up using both hands on the pud if it's exciting). The reserve opened just as I was about to touch the handle. It's faster.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

In my last case I had both handles pulled before I felt my reserve opening, by looking at the reserve ripcord it's obvious that the RSL did beat me (the wire is bent at the RSL attachment point), but I did have them both out before I felt reserve deployment.. I figure if that second really matters then I've already screwed up, ... I also figure that if the RSL isnt going to help me, all it has left to do is hurt me. During my first reserve deployment, I would have had plenty of time to flip back over to my belly, but instead the RSL deployed my reserve after I chopped from a main that had me spinning on my back, I knew my altitude at cut away, and it was plenty of time to flip before reserve deployment.. I prefer to have that option as well. You are all right, not having an RSL may someday be the difference between me living and dying. Having an RSL might also make that difference for the worse, I just personally feel that the chances are higher for the second. I also have handles that have never been hard to find, and they dont hide themselves as my harness shifts, a problem that some people do have (from reading other threads) .. that would also be a big consideration.

As far as the other comment, yes, the collins lanyard is great, but like I said those technologies are only available on a couple of rigs, none of which I jump. If I had a collins lanyard, I would probably reconsider.

And back the the origional comment that brought RSL into this thread :ph34r: If you are going to jump risers that are not the big ones, and not have big rings, and your a big dude, I wouldnt have an RSL unless you have a collins lanyard, .. unfortionately the only way you get a collins lanyard is ordering a specific couple types of rigs, .. But that's all just my opinion... And as the person also stated above, I'd also rather have breakable risers than a broken back :|

FGF #???
I miss the sky...