Nataly

WOO HOO - just passed 1st part of motorcycle licence :)

I've just cracked open a bottle of my favourite beer - I'm so happy!! This first bit of the test is all about slalom-ing and figure-8's and u-turns and high speed turn/swerve/controlled-emergency-stops..

Next step: pedestrian avoidance!!

Yay me! :)
I should be able to afford a bike just in time for xmas - what a great pressie from me to me B|
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Congratulations!

What are you thinking for your first one??

Watch out for those idiot pedestrians.

Just as soon as you think you're going to get past them safely, they jump right back in front of you.

Or if you think they're going to jump out of the way, they stand still to let you go around.

And unlike in a car, if you hit them you are probably going to get hurt too.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Was thinking something along the lines of this:

http://ww1.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/2009/presskit/CBF125.pdf

Not too sure, though.. Trouble with the UK - especially in London - is that we don't have wide open spaces to ride.. It's congested, narrow and everyone's out to kill you.. So I'm not very keen on a massive or heavy or crotch-rocket-type bike.

I still have time to decide.. Meanwhile, I can always rent a few different models and see what I like.

But my god.. Our instructor today rode away on an all-black Kawasaki Ninja.. That was one sexy bike...
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

But my god.. Our instructor today rode away on an all-black Kawasaki Ninja.. That was one sexy bike...

That Honda looks pretty good.

But did you know there is a 250 Ninja?

Even though it's a crotch rocket, it is considered an excellent beginner bike.

And I can only imagine how you'd look in all black leather on a black Ninja!;)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

That Honda looks pretty good.

But did you know there is a 250 Ninja?

Even though it's a crotch rocket, it is considered an excellent beginner bike.

And I can only imagine how you'd look in all black leather on a black Ninja!;)

Yes, I know.. They also have nice Apprillia's that are (relatively) meek, but they're not much use in traffic and pretty uncomfortable for long trips.. If I lived near a circuit, then it would be brilliant!
- Chris Hadfield
- my boss

Both bikes posed, the Honda and the Kow, are great bikes.
I've ridden both and both are very responsive and easy to control. Since you live in the UK and not the US and are only planning on staying local I highly recommend you stick with sup 500CC bikes for a little while.

But I highly encourage you to procure
1) A good set of riding boots.
2) A good set of riding pants.
3) A good jacket, leather or mesh.
4) Gloves.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Hi Nataly, sorry for dragging this thread back up. I'm pretty new to this skydiving lark and just finding my feet around dropzone (and found something I know about!!).

Anyways, congrats on bike test and I just thought I’d offer a different point of view on the subject. I ride something called supermoto, essentially an off-road bike but with road wheels on. Definitely the most fun I’ve had on two wheels (and quite often one).

I'd suggest you have a looksee at Suzuki's DR-Z400SM. The hardcore supermoto guys look down on these as a bit soft and truth be told they are, but they do make a perfect novice/commuter/funday-sunday bike. They go well, stop well, handle well, even crash well (as in cheap). Motorways and dual-carriageways are a bit of a no-no, but as an about town or country road bike, I really don’t think they can be beat. Plus you can go off-road with them as well, lemme see you do that with a Ninja :D

Here’s an old French advert for them…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0KTijlNeNA

There's some good online communities for supermoto as well, (with a similar vibe to this place from what I’ve seen so far) who arrange track-days, meets, ride-outs and stuff. All good fun and banter.

Gotta agree with the bloke above though, get good gear and always use it. I’ll admit I don’t, but I’m well aware of the risks and skydiving seems pretty safe in comparison. Besides, scars on guys are cool ;)

Hope that helps. If you want to know anything supermoto just ask, I’ll trade you for skydiving tips…