Southern_Man

skydving and custody?

I am an AFF student, divorced w/ shared custody of my children. My ex has just filed to move out of state. So we are going back to court and I am moving for custody. I was not skydiving at the time of the original hearing. I was just curious if any of you have had this brought up as an issue (such as X parent is reckless or unstable because they skydive) and what was the outcome.

You can PM me if you would prefer.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

I think it is a bullshit claim that just because somebody skydives they're unfit to care for children.

There are plenty of examples of skydivers that have raised perfectly normal children and anyone that thinks otherwise is a flippin' idiot.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think it is a bullshit claim that just because somebody skydives they're unfit to care for children.

There are plenty of examples of skydivers that have raised perfectly normal children and anyone that thinks otherwise is a flippin' idiot.

I agree, I just wonder if people have experience w/ an ex claiming this and if it gained any traction?

I'm only licensed to practice in Alabama. Seek local advice if you are outside Alabama. That being said, I have handled hundreds of divorces. If skydiving was part of the argument against someone being the custodial parent, I would look forward to hearing it articulated in court. It would be a sure sign of clutching at straws.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

Further to what DavJohns said -
- If you don't have a lawyer yet, get one immediately. Don't go without one, and don't delay before getting one.
- You MUST resist the temptation to ask or listen to opinions or suggestions from well-meaning non-lawyers about your legal situation. Opinions and suggestions are legal advice. DO NOT seek or take legal advice from anyone other than a lawyer. No exceptions.

Aw, come on.[:/] A little amateur legal advice? What could go wrong?:P

I do have an attorney. I am not really seeking legal advice here, only anecdotal experiences. I'll rely on my attorney for legal advice. I am (understadably) anxious about the whole thing.

Aw, come on.[:/] A little amateur legal advice? What could go wrong?:P

I do have an attorney. I am not really seeking legal advice here, only anecdotal experiences. I'll rely on my attorney for legal advice. I am (understadably) anxious about the whole thing.

Yes, it very understandable; and while your thinking, and your question, are good, you really should only pose this question to your lawyer.

Forgive my being anal about this, but anecdotal vignettes can be very misleading; and in this context, just like opinions and suggestions, anecdotes, too, really do fall into the realm of "legal advice" - unless you look at them through the lens of legal training and experience, you could easily draw the wrong conclusion from them.

Best of luck to you.

I am an AFF student, divorced w/ shared custody of my children. My ex has just filed to move out of state. So we are going back to court and I am moving for custody. I was not skydiving at the time of the original hearing. I was just curious if any of you have had this brought up as an issue (such as X parent is reckless or unstable because they skydive) and what was the outcome.

You can PM me if you would prefer.

Not a lawyer but represented myself in my custody case and won full custody. Quick and simple things to consider.

1. Have you talked to your lawyer? Told him about your jumping?

2. Skydiving is a dangerous sport, a wuffo feels that to an extreme...is the judge hearing your case a wuffo?

3. If on all other grounds you and your ex are equal in the eyes of the court, I would venture to say that a wuffo judge would weigh the extreme sport and also your lack of experience.

4. Is continuing the sport that important? If I were wanting to play it safe (which is what I did with my hearing) quit jumping until the case is over.

5. Skydiving is an expensive sport, it is dangerous and can cause injury and death. If you have decided that this is a safe sport for you then read the incident forum , or the blue skies forum. You can do everything right and still die. Maybe the risk is worth it to you, but as a single parent are you willing to make that risk for them? You jumping out of a plane with soul custody leaves them in a much harder spot when / if you go in.

Just my 2 cents
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

If it is used against you, then it is grasping at straws. Tlak to your attorney about this and also.....your sports should not make a difference as long as you are not putting the kids in danger. The judge and the attorney may ask if you have a will made. And probably in sarcastic terms.

If you are asking this, is this custody thing going to get dirty; because you would have talked to your attorney about it. Not ask if any of us have had it happen. You are going to get all kinds of opinions and advice. Stick with talking to your attorney.
You create life, life does not create you.

Further to what DavJohns said -
- If you don't have a lawyer yet, get one immediately. Don't go without one, and don't delay before getting one.
- You MUST resist the temptation to ask or listen to opinions or suggestions from well-meaning non-lawyers about your legal situation. Opinions and suggestions are legal advice. DO NOT seek or take legal advice from anyone other than a lawyer. No exceptions.

Felt this was worth repeating!