ManFallDown

Closing Pin damage...advice

I noticed this damage to the loop holding my closing pin...
Yes I figured out it needs changing....but I have no access to a rigger and a full days jumping tomoz.

Would appreciate some experienced peoples views on this damage...ie....safe to continue jumping until I can get access to a rigger.......likelhood of a 'catastrophic failure'.....and what could have caused this...

Thanks

I agree that it'll most likely hold ......

But man Derek, I don't think I'd offer that opinion based on photos (even these good ones) and tell a lower time jumper to let it go. [:/]

Biff,

Even if you do jump tomorrow with it, don't keep jumping it. One option is to change the pilot chute until this is fixed. But be sure you know what your doing when you do that or get someone to help you.

Hmmm

full day of jumping and no rigger around?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

full day of jumping and no rigger around?

That's what I was thinking. Most likely it would take less time to fix that than try to find the freebag.

Safety first. Skydiving second.
--
drop zone (drop'zone) n. An incestuous sesspool of broken people. -- Attributed to a whuffo girlfriend.

Looks like normal wear you'll get in time on a bridle. Years ago, I was packing my rig and noticed something similar to what appears in the photos, above. I got to looking at it closer and found the pin attach on the bridle was the better part to about halfway gone! Fortunately I had a spare pilot chute in my gear bag and I replaced it before the next jump.

Anyway, if you're seeing wear like that on the pin attach point on the bridle, its probably about time to replace the whole pilot chute & bridle anyways. In the photos it looks like its a kill-line type pilot chute, which you probably want to replace every 5 to 700 jumps anyways due to wear on the kill-line and changes in porosity (sp?) of the pilot chue fabric.

My 2 cents... replace the pilot chute & bridle... if for some reason the pin attach point / bridle breaks in such a way where it leaves the pin in the closing loop... you're screwed... can you say, "Going through 2 Grand, Pilot Chute in Hand, Then I let it go, Pilot Chute in TOW!"
:o

The reason I was asking this. I was doing a pin check for someone and his pin was left to right with a frown face and the loop was very tight. With the angle of deployment it seemed logical being that the bridle is on the right.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You are over-thinking the issue.

Curved pins are designed to pull from any angle, making them almost idiot-proof.

Trust me, I have jumped with some full-fledged idiots!
Hah!
Hah!

Thanks again for the further replies and information
I put 7 jumps on that system today and was very careful to inspect the pin loop during every packjob....
What I noticed was that there was absolutely NO further worsening of the fraying.....it looked exactly the same at the end of the day as the beginning.
No nicks or burrs on the pin itself either.

So perhaps this damage occured in a one off event ...hard opening...something like that??
Either way its being replaced before I jump next...