k-dubjumps

Is this just me or is this really tacky?

First a little back ground. Shortly after I can back from my LOA for having foot surgery my boss of four years (and someone I consider to be a friend) went out on LOA very unexpectedly for an emergency heart surgery. A week later my coworkers and I were told she had cancer, but no details as to what kind or a prognosis.:( This was communicated to us in a teleconference because we are spread across five states.

Here's where I think the tackiness starts. Last Thursday my director sent out an email to the team telling us that my boss had stage 4 lung cancer which has spread to the liver and she had several minor strokes followed by a major stroke the day prior which have left her in a state where she is unable to open her eyes or speak.:( An email >:(. I totally lost my shit and started sobbing before I finished reading the email. In the middle of work.

Today I got another email telling us my boss passed away yesterday morning.:(:(:(

I again lost my shit. Is it just me, or was it completely inappropriate to tell us that our boss passed away by email? Had I been on a conference call when I got the email I would have been a blubbering mess. I think the right thing to do last week and today would be to call us all together in a meeting an break the news to us. Don't you think?
Adrenaline is my crack

DPH #3
D.S. #16 FAG #12 Muff Brother #4406

I'm so sorry for your loss.... [:/]

I feel that it would have been more personal for management to tell the staff directly vs email. Not sure if it's an HR thing, but I've seen the same thing happen within my company (notifications via email).

((((((((HUGS))))))))))

g

"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I'm sorry that your Friend / Boss passed into the afterlife. On another note one must possess the ability to seperate emotions from one's profession. This doe's not mean i don't empathize with you, but i will not commisserate.

I know your not under the impression that your the only one that has lost someone in their lives that has left a profound effect on their lives.

May the peace of the higher entity that you converse with be with you...always.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss.

Last year, one of our co-workers lost her baby 1 week before her due date. I thought that generally speaking, my boss was a bit of a socially inept loser, but that day, he took me aside and personally told me what had happened because he knew we were close. It really changed my opinion of him - I thought it was a decent thing to do.

It's a shame your director didn't have this kind of sensitivity.. To be fair, it's a tough subject to broach, so it should say something that he took the time to write it all out in an email.. Maybe not the best thing, but a gesture nonetheless.. Perhaps the director in question found it difficult to deal with himself and thought that he would get too upset talking about it..

It's not an easy situation, unfortunately.. [:/] If nobody suggests it, maybe have a word with your director and find out if anyone has though to send your boss' family flowers and condolences..

Sorry again.. That's really sad.. :(

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss