SpeedRacer

why, after all this time, is Windows so fucking lame?

If I may answer with a question: Why are millions of people still willing to bitch "helplessly" about Windows when they can buy Macs instead?

That is a good question, and although someone who says they don't get a MAC because of price and may not be able to afford it legitimately, the old saying stands on top of the mountain shining bright and it says "You get what you pay for"

When you buy a Mac, you don't just
get a reliable computer, you get an aesthetically, ergonomically pleasing machine with tons of support to back it up. When is the last time you went back to a Sony store with your laptop and had it fixed on the spot?

-Evo
Zoo Crew

If you're not a gamer, go with Mac or Linux. If you ARE a gamer, stick with XP and use Wubi to make a linux virtual machine within Windows and do your web browsing from that.

Or dual-boot Win and Linux and only use Windows for your games.

Or use Wine. It is surprisingly good - so far almost every Windows app I run there works without major glitches (and I've been using Linux since 1999)

For general apps, I agree that many can run under WINE without major problems (or in virtualbox, for that matter). Games, with their more extensive memory needs (as well as DX support) may run, but they'll run better under XP - that's why I made the recommendation to run Linux for 'day-to-day' stuff and have a dual boot Windows install for games.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

For general apps, I agree that many can run under WINE without major problems (or in virtualbox, for that matter). Games, with their more extensive memory needs (as well as DX support) may run, but they'll run better under XP

Even games are pretty much fine if you're not playing top-notch games. Assassin Creed worked under Wine, and it's pretty extensive and GPU-hungry game.
* Don't pray for me if you wanna help - just send me a check. *

For general apps, I agree that many can run under WINE without major problems (or in virtualbox, for that matter). Games, with their more extensive memory needs (as well as DX support) may run, but they'll run better under XP

Even games are pretty much fine if you're not playing top-notch games. Assassin Creed worked under Wine, and it's pretty extensive and GPU-hungry game.

Sure - but those top-notch games ARE important to gamers - that's why I mentioned an XP dual-boot for that situation. They get linux security and relative immunity to virii/malware while websurfing, and full compatibility and speed for gaming under XP.

Different strokes for different folks.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

All computers will crash and corrupt your data.

The extreme costumer loyality in computer operating systems create a monopoly situation that stops the evolution of them into something better.

No matter how safe one makes an operating system, if it reaches a high market share, people will make malicious software for it. As long as you, the user can install software on the operating system, it will be possible to install malicious code on it. Just like it's impossible to create true copy protection for video or music, as long as it can be played, it can be copied.

Some operating systems are more user friendly and stable than others. The Windows Fan boys will disagree with me, but the Mac is better than windows.

But it will not solve all of your problems.

;)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

All computers will crash and corrupt your data.

True. I have a SQA-5H (squash) Windows Home Server that backs up my data every night, and serves as a good media-streamer as well. Worth the money.

I put pretty much everything except music into the cloud. Works for me
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I'm running Suse 11.1 on a Vaio, and it does all my casual tasks; web surfing, video/picture viewing and editing, Skype, office...there's very little it won't do.

It's the best of both worlds - an inexpensive (about $450) laptop and a FREE operating system that was a breeze to set up (yes, the Linux distros are finally ready for the big time).

However, I still run high-end games on my WinXP machine.

MSFT will eventually stop supporting XP, and that will be the day I switch the machine over to Linux. I'm not giving Bill Gates my money. Never have, never will.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

So you DID put linux on it after all? Cool.... how are you liking the desert weather?

On my Sager? Not yet. When support for XP is curtailed, that's when I'll switch it to Linux. My other two laptops (the Sony VGN-NR490e and the HP 2133) are running Suse.

The weather has gotten quite comfortable. It's only getting up to 30c most days now.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."