livendive

Geeking out

I built my own computer 5 years ago, and it's still running so I assume I did good. This summer I opted for a HP computer all set up, just plug up and play. It was a pain in the ass putting the old one together.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Start with the big things, put the power supply and motherboard in first, those are the first to go in, or it gets to be a PITA. (it might help to put the processor and memory on the board first)

Make sure that when you put the motherboard on the chassis, you remove any of the extra stand offs (if they are brass ones) Ive seen quite a few motherboards fried because of that reason.

Most of the connections go one way, and one way only... dont force the memory, there is a notch in the bottom that must line up with the notch in the connector... trust me, they dont work the other way, even if you manage to ram that thing in.

Sata and power are pretty self explanitory. PCI and AGP cards all are pretty easy to plug in, it shouldnt take more than a few pounds of pressure to get it in, if it does, stop, reseat the connection and try again.

Make sure your connections are tight and try it out.

One tricky part, MAKE SURE YOU RTFM, the power button, power led, hdd led and reset buttons are sometimes tricky to figure out, DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP.

Power it up and try to install windows, Vista and 7 take for fucking ever to install... dont freak out if it takes a while to do something, just leave it be.

If you want more help, pm me and Ill send you my phone number.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I can't help you at all with the assembly but i can direct you to Phreezone and Kris, they are always geeking out over doing this exact thing. Oh, and i heard it helps if you have on your teva's and black socks while doing the assembly:P:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Most of the time the heatsync comes with the thermal compound already on it.

Technically, yes, you're suppossed to have the ESD bracelet on, but I havnt used one in a decade.

What we usually do is touch the chassis before doing anything, just keep skin on chassis contact while you're doing everything in the box. You get used to it. Also using the anti-cling drier sheets with your laundry helps control the static.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Static strap. Yes.
There is thermal grease with the proc/heatsink, but it sucks. I recommend arctic silver. Never burned up on me yet.

Every Tower I have owned I have built from scratch. I think I am due for a new one, as I have not had a working tower for a while.

Have fun!

Presumably arctic silver and a static strap should be available at a local Radio Shack?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Oh, and i heard it helps if you have on your teva's and black socks while doing the assembly:P:D:D

I figured that was obvious and had already planned on it. Every little bit helps! :D

Blues,
Dave

Dont forget the rest of the proper geek attire.
Remster

Oh, and i heard it helps if you have on your teva's and black socks while doing the assembly:P:D:D

I figured that was obvious and had already planned on it. Every little bit helps! :D

Blues,
Dave

Actually, Muttley bought me this one a couple years ago. Bonus points for it being a little tight. :P:D

Many other funny tshirts here.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Blues,
Dave

You trying to get that guy Hurt??

Dave, DO NOT wear that shirt while trying to build a computer!! The power of a 3wolf moon shirt over women (especially Redheads) has been well documented. You WILL get jumped while trying to assemble the mobo and let me tell you... That arctic Paste makes for lousy Lube.

Be safe, Just stick with Tevas and Socks and you will be safe during the assembly.

http://www.mysuperpc.com/
I had to buy Artic Silver separately.

Download latest drivers for everything first and have them available on a thumb drive and CD, just in case one doesn't work at first.

I also installed components one at a time. Troubleshooting is much easier.
ie get the system to boot, then add the CD/DVD. Get that to work then install OS on HD.
Get that to work then add cards one at a time.

Be careful about CMOS updates because you can fry the MB if you do it wrong.

If you are making a multi-boot system, you always have to start with the oldest and work up to the newest OS.
If you are making *nix plus Windoze - go read the web sites on that. Lots of info on setting up the partitions correctly.
Knoppix is a good trouble shooting/ recovery CD that will work no matter what OS combo you have.

Document all CMOS settings as you change them.

See crucial.com for memory. They've always had the lowest prices when I was adding memory.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Static strap. Yes.
There is thermal grease with the proc/heatsink, but it sucks. I recommend arctic silver. Never burned up on me yet.

Every Tower I have owned I have built from scratch. I think I am due for a new one, as I have not had a working tower for a while.

Have fun!

Presumably arctic silver and a static strap should be available at a local Radio Shack?

Blues,
Dave

http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=artic%20silver&origkw=artic%20silver&sr=1

Make sure you scrape all the compound off the heatsync with something thats not going to scratch it up, make sure you apply enough compound to cover the contact area of the processor.

Good point about downloading all the drivers and putting them on a drive, however, you have everything new, should come with the drivers that WILL work with that hardware, not MAY work.

Static strap is kind of like an RSL, some people swear by them, some have them but dont use them, some just dont have them.

Oddly enough, it seems that its the newbies who get and use them, I have NEVER seen a tech with more than a few years in actually use one. They may have it, but dont use it.

If you're feeling bored, get a 1M Ohm resistor, some wire and an alligator clip and make your own.

Document all CMOS settings as you change them.

This is the part that unnerves me the most. I started playing with computers in the late 70's and used to be able to comfortably navigate system settings. Nowadays though, let's just say that I'm hoping I don't break anything while awkwardly trying to learn and simultaneously tweak the BIOS and CMOS set-up.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Thats where the RTFM comes in handy. Most motherboards ship with the BIOS reset jumper in the clear position, you have to put it in the normal position before you can use it.

Man I don't know jack shit about software and have build 3 computers already, its not that bad. I didn't look at your components, but read up on the MOBO and see what ram they like. They usually specify a certain type, and its not a bad idea to use it. Read your MOBO manual as well, about how to hook it up to the power supply. You gotta put some plugs onto a mess of pins, this was the hardest part of the build for me, and it is easy.

Its simple to build one. I've got a few systems around here not even in cases, it just takes stacking things creatively on a desk and then you've got a computer.

If you are running 64 bit winds don't half ass it and only put 2 gigs ram in it, put at least 4 and more like 6+ gigs in there to actually take advantage of the 64 bit core.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Its simple to build one. I've got a few systems around here not even in cases, it just takes stacking things creatively on a desk and then you've got a computer.

If you are running 64 bit winds don't half ass it and only put 2 gigs ram in it, put at least 4 and more like 6+ gigs in there to actually take advantage of the 64 bit core.

In the OP I listed 4 gigs of DDR3 1333 (latency=7). I figure that should be a nice step up from the 2 gigs of DDR2 I'm currently running. Are you giving me an excuse to double that? :ph34r::)
[/angelic][/sly]

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I'm looking at building a 64bit system and starting it at 8 gigs ram and probally running 16 gigs in it after a bit.

I'm also looking at running multiple Terrabyte drives in it too since I have flled these 500 gig drives up already.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm looking at building a 64bit system and starting it at 8 gigs ram and probally running 16 gigs in it after a bit.

I'm also looking at running multiple Terrabyte drives in it too since I have flled these 500 gig drives up already.

I was looking at one with a TB Raid 0 SSD array........

/DROOL/

Out of curiosity

Are you building a comp for a fun project or are you trying to save $$$.

You can buy something already put together and upgrade to suit your needs for around the same price and save yourself the headache. If your doing it just to geek out then NERD PRIDE my brother!!

Rosie:ph34r:

Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

Daaamn... that's a lot of video.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban