SpeedRacer

Post weird bug pictures

You could go to bugguide.com and look for an ID on that beetle. It's not a moth, but i do not know what kind of beetle it is.

Sweet. I was wondering if there was some kind of site for that. I took a few shots of bugs (some posted here) that I wanted a closer description than "beetle."
My photos

My Videos

There are a number of sites on the Internet that have "identify the bug you found" sections. Every once in a while somebody comes up with a new bug that's never before been described in the scientific literature.
I met a guy who lives just up the road a spell in Sedona who is a retired postman and amateur bug collector. So far, he's had five different beetles named for him and has a couple more pending.
There are some pretty strange bugs out there if you know where to look for them.
Zing Lurks

The post was actually just a place holder until I could go to work to retrieve the images. I can't seem to find the ones that I personally took, but there are still some pretty sweet ones around.
There's no such thing as free will; everything is dictated by the Uncertainty Principle.

Not about them contextually, just the processes that we use to get said pictures. The reason that last one looks so messed up might have something to do with the microscope operating conditions. The samples are imaged in a vacuum, so that might have something to do with why an insect such as that might appear scarred. Either that, or it could have just been something that was on the exoskeleton when it died.

As I write this I'm actually finishing the capture of a scan that I took of some Cactus Fungi. It's pretty interesting looking at it on a regular microscope versus the SEM because the vacuum definitely changes it. I could always bring up the pressure some to get it a little farther away from that "next to zero" pressure, but that's not as much fun.
There's no such thing as free will; everything is dictated by the Uncertainty Principle.

The spider that just jumped on my post, post your post...

if that makes any sense at all?:S

Is it ok if I'm a bit confused?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun