Tiger6513

Motorola Droid...

Awesome looking phone, read the review on phonearena.com

Also the HD2 is releasing on the 9th and has the specs and features to blow every current phone on the market away. Only thing its missing is a physical keyboard (which is a personal preference. Also would prefer it to run Android 2.0, but HTC has done an awesome job sprucing up WM)
"Damn you Gravity, you win again"

I've had the T-Mobile G1 since it launched about a year back which is the first Android phone that came out. The Android phones are very nice, especially if you use gmail and other google apps. Really stable, syncs up with your gmail contacts without desktop syncing. Has a nice selection of apps too.

My main complaints are it's a little thick, poor battery and lousy camera. Looks like the droid fixes those issues though.

This is the one device that could tempt me away from BlackBerry. Though, I may wait to see what the HTC Eris has in its final release.

My primary concerns with them are:

-- Android OS, and how Google uses/manages one's personal use of it
-- Google in general, in the context of: "All your voice/data/information are belong to us."
-- These first two releases are not "global ready" like the Storm/Storm2, Tour, and other HTC WinMo phones (though I avoid WinMo as much as I like Win 7, WinMo needs a serious overhaul.

Other than that, I really do like the functionality of Android OS, and its interface with Google, personal issues aside, it's indeed an impressive set up.

If you get the Droid, tell us all about it.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

will do...

While I'm thinking about it, read up carefully on VZW's billing for services on the phone. I don't think it's any different than any other "smart" phone, but I've read that they tailored some specifics to the Droid (rumors only, so take it with a grain of salt).
Make light!

will do...

While I'm thinking about it, read up carefully on VZW's billing for services on the phone. I don't think it's any different than any other "smart" phone, but I've read that they tailored some specifics to the Droid (rumors only, so take it with a grain of salt).

How does it compare to an iphone or blackberry (for dummies)?

I think i am going to preorder it through BestBuy and get it friday... it looks better than what I have now... LG Voyager... apps wise anyway. Droid seems to have a few complaints from testers but overall people seem happy with it. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Travis Roy Foundation. At very least its a tax write off

Seeing how it is VZW carrying it, my first question is:
How many features are being disabled?

I was with them for five years, but left because they refused to sell me an un-crippled Razr.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I was with them for five years, but left because they refused to sell me an un-crippled Razr.

VZW doesn't "fully" cripple their smart phones. About the only think I know they don't allow with them is UMA via WiFi, but other than that, everything on my BlackBerry works fine...Google Maps, Bing, BBMaps, BlueTooth...
Make light!

Here's a pretty good comparison.

Basically, it compares very well.

Regarding the comment about Verizon charges, check out this post on Verizon charges for Exchange support. John Gruber of the Daring Fireball blog linked to this with the comment, "So starts the Verizon nickel and diming."

Edited to add that the Droid is the only phone with Google's new GPS, turn by turn, etc ability which looks very cool from what I have read about it.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Here's a pretty good comparison.

Basically, it compares very well.

Regarding the comment about Verizon charges, check out this post on Verizon charges for Exchange support. John Gruber of the Daring Fireball blog linked to this with the comment, "So starts the Verizon nickel and diming."

Edited to add that the Droid is the only phone with Google's new GPS, turn by turn, etc ability which looks very cool from what I have read about it.

From what I understand, this is no different from other smart-phone data plans VZW offers. $30 for web/email, $45 for enterprise. Apparently, they are adding a $50ish plan for "data only"...or whatever.

VZW costs more than T-Mobile and Sprint, but you get what you pay for. ;)
Make light!

VZW doesn't "fully" cripple their smart phones. About the only think I know they don't allow with them is UMA via WiFi, but other than that, everything on my BlackBerry works fine...Google Maps, Bing, BBMaps, BlueTooth...

what do you mean by "UMA" ?
IHYD

VZW said they would stop crippling phones 2 years ago... and the phones that they released this year have held to that promise...

Good to hear;
I knew they said they were going to stop that idiocy, but I was skeptical.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

what do you mean by "UMA" ?

UMA = Unlicensed Mobile Access. It is basically a function of allowing the phone to use the WiFi signal to make the call instead of the cell system. T-Mobile offers it on a few devices. AT&T is supposedly going to offer it on the new BlackBerry Bold 9700. It's one feature that can be handy if you're in a crappy coverage area.
Make light!

ahhhh ok thank you, thats what i was worried about. so for certiqan you know VZW is crippling the Wifi on there droid?

They don't cripple WiFi, you can use it for data just fine. UMA for voice is not an option, and it's not uncommon for a carrier not to support it. The only big carrier that I know of that supports it is T-Mobile, and even then it's only on a handful of phones.

It's not widely used anywhere that I know of outside the US (in the context of a cell provider that is).
Make light!

So I am here sitting on the toilet writing my rfeview. In the 2 days I've had the device I havnt seen any negatives, I'm using both tghe real kdyboard and the on screen one. The only thing is that there is a lot of steps to do simple things, but its not that big of a deal bc you get used to it or juat d/l an app for it. So its a definit win!!!
IHYD