mark

Center-stop bartack pattern

I own an electronic end-stop bartacker, and I plan to add a chip to do center-stop patterns. The fellow will program the chip does it stitch by stitch, so I need to know what the industry standard is, if any. That is, from the center, how many straight stitches and what direction, followed by how many zigzag stitches and what direction.

I know a 42-stitch pattern is most common, but are there others (28, 36, 56, 60) in use as well, and what are the industry standards for those?

Can you point me to a reference?

Thanks,
Mark

It is important to remember that the straight stitches of a bar tack are there only to hold the material untill the zig zag pattern begins. The straight stitches (AKA stay stitches) have little to no elasticity and therefor need to be kept to a minumim. A bartack with too many stay stitches will fail prematurely if the stitch is loaded along it's long axis.
As to the number of stiches in each pattern, that is specific to the type of loading the stitch will be subjected to. I have seen patters @26 42 60 72. I could go on but Idon't feel like typing that long. PM me with you number and I'll call wth more detail
Kevin

Mark,
What type of Bartack do you have?
I have Chips already made up for the Juki 1900HS series.
Also, the bartack is made up as follows:
1. The straight stich is called the running stitch.
2. The Zig-Zag is called the covering stitch.
3. The last 3 stitches are called the tying stitch(sometimes called the staying stitch).

The most common is the 42 stitch(center start, center stop) with 7 running,32 covering, and 3 tying.

The second most common 42 stitch is 11 running,
28 covering and 3 tying. This one is the standard tack that came on the Singer 269W11.

The first one is better for line work because it has less running stitches and you can stretch it out a little on the length.

Blue Ones,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Hello MEL!

My bartack is also a Juki L-1900HS.

I'm looking to match the bartacks PD, Precision, and Aerodyne use, figuring they've already done the R&D. Do all three use the same 7-running/32-covering/3-tying tack? Or do they use the 11/28/3 pattern?

Do you know of any other center-stop patterns in common use? For example, the small tacks made at a canopy leading edge rib-skin junction look like 28-stitch patterns, and the pattern PD uses to attach lines to stabilizers looks like something else altogether.

Do your chips do both 42-stitch patterns you mention, or other patterns? And would you be willing to part with any of your chips?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark,
Yes to all the questions.

The PD "stab" stitch is a 72 stitch,308 type, center start-center stop. It is included in the chip(pattern 35)
Pattern 36 is a 28 stitch type used at the nose tapes.
You can also use pattern #12 already on your machine @ X=135% and Y=110%.
I have 2 chips left if you need one.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Actually Shlomo is correct. It is a bartack. I have the very same machine PD uses (Brother 434E) and PD was kind enough to send me a chip containing all their bartack patterns on it including two 72 stitch center start and stop bartacks used for attaching Stabilizers to lines

Edited to say that I think your both correct but it is done with a Bartack machine not a zig-zag

:)
When a mechanic barteck machine with a cam is used it is 72 308 zz center start/stop bartack.

On the present Electronic machine with the computer programs PD use it is a 73 stitches 308 type zz center start/stop bartack.

Safe Rigging !!!

:)
PD always used the 42 center start/stop bartack.

Precision have 2 types: on the early canopies & up to few years ago they use a 42 One side bartack and for the few years & now they use 42 center start/stop bartack.

Aerodyne/Pisa use a 42 One side bartack done by the "Brother LK-430" set for the 42 bartack.

The best is to contact each mfg. & ask for the chip/drawing they use.

Safe Rigging !!!