Big Block Chevy's and SR-71's

At first they used twin 401ci Buick engines with auto trannies coupled at their outputs to start the SR-71 engines. Later, they switched to twin 454 Chevy's. Gotta love it!

"For the first time observer of an SR-71 launch, the engine starts in themselves were almost indescribable. For one thing there was no mufflers on the Buick engines. As the Buick RPM was advanced, Flames almost three feet long erupted from the side of the start cart. It truly sounded like the beginning of the Indianapolis 500. Combine that sound with the steady increase of SR-71 RPM to engine TEB ignition at 3,200 RPM and then idle aircraft engine speed as the Blackbird comes to life. Then it all starts all over again with #1 engine. It never failed to thrill me to start the Blackbirds engines with the Start Carts. The original design was conceived by two Lockheed Skunk Works engineers who had prior race car engine knowledge. In the mid-1970's, the engines of the start carts was changed to Chevrolet LS-7 454's. The Chevrolet big block engines developed 465 horsepower each. Even so, for many years they were still referred to as the Buick's."

http://www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/ag330_sr.htm

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

At first they used twin 401ci Buick engines with auto trannies coupled at their outputs to start the SR-71 engines. Later, they switched to twin 454 Chevy's. Gotta love it!

"For the first time observer of an SR-71 launch, the engine starts in themselves were almost indescribable. For one thing there was no mufflers on the Buick engines. As the Buick RPM was advanced, Flames almost three feet long erupted from the side of the start cart. It truly sounded like the beginning of the Indianapolis 500. Combine that sound with the steady increase of SR-71 RPM to engine TEB ignition at 3,200 RPM and then idle aircraft engine speed as the Blackbird comes to life. Then it all starts all over again with #1 engine. It never failed to thrill me to start the Blackbirds engines with the Start Carts. The original design was conceived by two Lockheed Skunk Works engineers who had prior race car engine knowledge. In the mid-1970's, the engines of the start carts was changed to Chevrolet LS-7 454's. The Chevrolet big block engines developed 465 horsepower each. Even so, for many years they were still referred to as the Buick's."

http://www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/ag330_sr.htm

Your pictures dont have the drip pans;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9qa8HUM358

I used to laugh at dorks with chromed differential covers.

this reminds me. . .Do you guys still have the "truck nuts" over there? We still do.:|

And quit making fun of my chrome. It's shiny, dammit!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Idiots with an IQ of less than 90 hand metallic or rubber testicles under the back end of their pickup trucks.

Come to think of it, my asshole neighbor has a butt hole hanging from his suburban.

Or maybe that is really his butt hole hanging out that far.B|

That guy goes to truck stops to accost the drivers, like they don't know it is an ugly dude in drag.:D:D:D

OK. I saw a pickup the other day with a sack on the trailer hitch. They should make ovaries to hang on Mazda Miatas.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

You would not be saying it if you had ever seen the 1972 Vega that my brother and Dad stuffed an aluminum block 427 Chevy into.

The car belonged to my brothers best friend Dennis, he lived next door.

It had to have an entire new frame made of chrome moly tubing and had the 12 bolt shortened and it got tubbed.

It was also running a 6-71 blower, huge valves and was so damned fast it scared the guy up the street who raced stock cars for a living.

Cooper (guy up the street) had Gary Bettenhausen's 1970 Daytona Charger with that enormous Hemi.