CSpenceFLY

Toyota recall for gas peddle getting stuck on the floor mats

I have a 94 Ford F-150 that I got a recall notice on about a year ago regarding a glitch in the cruise control system that would cause a fire in certain circumstances. :S Also had a late 80s Chevy Astrovan that without any input to the system, the cruise control would suddenly engage and floorboard the accelerator. The GM "fix" for this was to just disable the cruise control system, forever. >:(>:(:S:S

The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

I have a 94 Ford F-150 that I got a recall notice on about a year ago regarding a glitch in the cruise control system that would cause a fire in certain circumstances. :S Also had a late 80s Chevy Astrovan that without any input to the system, the cruise control would suddenly engage and floorboard the accelerator. The GM "fix" for this was to just disable the cruise control system, forever. >:(>:(:S:S

Have you taken the F-150 in yet? The recall takes about 10 minutes to install. Took my '94 went in for it 3 or 4 years ago (that dealer been closed for 2 years now). The issue lies in a brake pressure switch that has constant power (like brake lights do). The problem is that the switch diaphragm can fail, allowing brake fluid into the electric side of the switch & as it turns out brake fluid is flammable... People have lost houses because of these fires! The fix is a relay & pig-tail that plugs in line with that pressure switch.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Another illustration of how things can dramatically change in a single lifetime.

I recall when the heads of Japanese firms with blood on their hands, would apologize and then to prove sincerity, pull out a big sword and run it through their own guts. I always respected them for that.

And by that standard Toyota's Chairman saying, "We, the ones supposed to relay to people the attractiveness of automobiles, have, instead, imparted on them worry. I regret this more than anything." Doesn't really cut it, so to speak . . .

NickD :)