Squeak

Blackberry folks

What's the difference between these Blackberry Phone thingies?

BlackBerry® Curve™ 8250 Smartphone

BlackBerry® Storm™ 9500 Smartphone

BlackBerry® Bold™ 9700 Smartphone

What can the Storm and Bold do that the curve Can't??
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The storm is a 3g phone with touch screen with more apps and faster connectivity. i absolutely love my storm.

the curve has a track ball and is still okay but the more apps you use and time you spend on it freezes up. the track ball gets sticky as in dirty and wont move sometimes and it has to be replaced.

I think the bold is a touch pad phone and just a grade higher than the curve. very similar to one another from look to OS.

i am sure gawain will have the exact answer for you. :D

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

This would actually be the Curve 8520. It could be construed as a good entry-level for someone who hasn't experienced the "Blackberry experience" before. It's the successor to the Curve 83xx series. It's known for a good keyboard, slim formfactor and makes use of established feature sets (2MP cameral, etc). There's nothing "cutting edge" per se. The track pad is excellent. It has Wifi, and operates on EDGE (not 3G HSPA).

The 9500 is RIM's "first generation" Storm. The "Storm2", 9520 is already out. It's RIM's touch screen phone (which the screen actually provides a physical-tactile feedback to inputs, the screen itself is a huge button). The first generation had issues which were cleared up with software upgrades, but its weakness has been memory management. The 9520 adds wifi, and it also has 3G (HSPA globally). It also has 2GB of onboard memory. In my opinion, this is the top of the line Blackberry. You're in Australia though right? So, the 9520 may not be available there. The original Storm is a fine device, but I wouldn't recommend it.

If the Storm wasn't the top of the line, the Bold 9700 is. It has the same feature sets as the Storm2, but has a physical keyboard instead. Right now, it's a GSM only model with 3G. It supports a slightly broader set of video media formats. In the US's CDMA carrier segment, the Tour2 (9650) will be the Bold 9700s counterpart. The 9700 is already available with T-Mobile and AT&T.

The glaring differences are in the network capabilities. Of the three, only the 8520 has no 3G. The 9700 and 8520 both have wifi, whereas the Storm 9500 does not. The Storm and Bold have decent quality 3.2MP cameras, the Curve doesn't have a flash, and it's only 2MP. The 9700 has broader media support. The Storm has a nice big screen. The Storm and 9700 have GPS.

All three are reliable devices. If I were shopping, and I was in your shoes, I would probably pick the Curve 8520. It kept all the good things about the original Curve 83xx (arguably the best BB ever made) and gave it more juice.

All Blackberries run the roost when it comes to personal information management (PIM), and there are lots of apps to integrate to Facebook or Twitter, etc. Of course, there is nothing that comes close to handling email like a BB can. Blackberry messenger is the mobile IM standard. Other apps can't touch it's features by a country mile.

Weaknesses: web-browser. RIMs browser isn't so great. But there are free aftermarket browsers out there that work very well (like Bolt or Opera) so it's really a non-issue. It doesn't have the depth of features that an Android device might have, but the BB is arguably more stable. Memory management can be an issue since the apps don't run off the SD card or flash memory, but BB apps are very "light" compared to their counterparts for Apple or Android. Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) is dependent on RIM. If they have an outage, it can affect the performance of your device. Outages are not common, but to the "crackheads" it's the end of the world. :o:D

So, if you get one, let us know...once you've tried the "crackberry" you won't go back. ;)B|
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

And don't forget if you get a blackberry, you can join our little BB Messenger group. B|

would that work for international?

Thanks Max very informative:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

All of of the above diseases should be avoided at all costs. Blackberry will mutate our genetic material in a reversal to dinosaur-like upper extremity digits ( large thumbs and very small appendages for the other digits).

It's a disease! Your friends and co-workers will hate you! You will be perusing email during dinner while the people who chose to spend time with you wonder what's so important that you are ignoring them.
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

It's a disease! Your friends and co-workers will hate you! You will be perusing email during dinner while the people who chose to spend time with you wonder what's so important that you are ignoring them.

i dont have any friends:ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Yep!

Absolutely. We have a guy in our group from Canada. BB Messenger works all over the world as far as I know. However, text messaging and phone calls and internet access will cost you extra.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yep!

Absolutely. We have a guy in our group from Canada. BB Messenger works all over the world as far as I know. However, text messaging and phone calls and internet access will cost you extra.

This is true. I BBM regularly with a few folks from Venezuela, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, Belgium and England...good stuff.B|
Make light!

I'll keep that in mind :)

There's nothing to keep in mind man...just hit up Telstra, Optus or Vodafone, and get busy...

Telstra offers the Bold 9000 and Bold 9700. The older 8800 and 8110 are on the way out. I can't see what Optus offers.

Vodafone is pushing the Storm 9500 hard, but they also have the Bold 9700, 9000, and Curve 8520. If I were in Australia, I'd get either the 9700 or 8520. Vodafone Australia has some sweet deals with their rate plans with the Curve if you activate before the end of the month....so get moving you!!! :P
Make light!

Since you seem to be up on these...

I just got a 'Dash' 3G, I think it's t-mobile name for the 'curve'? It has the ball etc as you described above.

I've never had a smart phone and didn't think I'd want/need one but the more I play with it, the more I like having so much at my finger tips.

Question...will it work as well in Europe?

I'm a neophyte with this stuff, I know something is different and something has to be added or changed but I have no idea what.

Also from the 'idiot me' file...of what use is the wifi part of the phone.
I don't use the Internet stuff a whole lot as of yet but does the wifi connect faster what?

Any other cool things ya can point me toward would be appreciated...

My wife also has the same phone but in addition carries an iPhone because she says it connects faster to the net, she needs fast for the open bidding windows on trips for work.

I told her I believe there isn't anything she can do on the iPhone she can't do with the Dash...am I wrong?

Thanks~

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Vodafone Australia has some sweet deals with their rate plans with the Curve if you activate before the end of the month....so get moving you!!! :P

This is what i was looking at:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hey Max
Why would you take the Curve over the Storm.
The monthly cost difference is only $10, and i think the Storm might be better value for the $10.00
Curve Details
Storm Details

I had a Curve for about a year, and about 6 months ago got the Storm... I definitely prefer the Storm. I think the only reason to get a curve would be to have a physical keyboard.
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Hey Max
Why would you take the Curve over the Storm.
The monthly cost difference is only $10, and i think the Storm might be better value for the $10.00
Curve Details
Storm Details

The Storm they're selling down there is the first generation. You'll run into memory issues with it. Voda-AU isn't selling the 9520 yet (otherwise I'd push that one). If you want something you won't "outgrow", pick up the Bold 9700.

In the end it's your preference. The Storm is good. Since I upgraded to the Storm2, I wonder why I waited. But knowing what I know, and picking from your choices, I'd go with the new Curve (improves on the old one) or Bold (flagship).
Make light!

Since you seem to be up on these...

I just got a 'Dash' 3G, I think it's t-mobile name for the 'curve'? It has the ball etc as you described above.

The Dash 3G is built by HTC and is a window-mobile device, not a Blackberry. It's a very capable device.

I've never had a smart phone and didn't think I'd want/need one but the more I play with it, the more I like having so much at my finger tips.

Indeed, I don't ever expect to return to a simple feature-phone.

Question...will it work as well in Europe?

Yes, and it will probably work very well. But, you need to verify with T-Mobile their rates if you're roaming. T-Mobile US, while owned by Deutsche Telekom in Germany, does not always have good rates over there. YMMV, but do your homework for sure.

I'm a neophyte with this stuff, I know something is different and something has to be added or changed but I have no idea what.

A common solution for folks that travel to Europe is to buy a local SIM card. Me, I'd rather pay for convenience. Doing the local thing will save you money, but you may not be able to use all the features of the device, and you'll have to do more of the research and leg work to see who has the cheapest plan.

Also from the 'idiot me' file...of what use is the wifi part of the phone.
I don't use the Internet stuff a whole lot as of yet but does the wifi connect faster what?

The wi-fi will connect the phone and enable data usage without billing against your cellular plan (whatever it is). Most smart phones have it now, and aside from using a little more power. It will come in handy at a hotel, or office where maybe you don't need a phone, but need access to online features like email, internet...etc.

Any other cool things ya can point me toward would be appreciated...

My wife also has the same phone but in addition carries an iPhone because she says it connects faster to the net, she needs fast for the open bidding windows on trips for work.

I told her I believe there isn't anything she can do on the iPhone she can't do with the Dash...am I wrong?

Thanks~

The Dash is nice device. I'm not a Windows Mobile fan myself, but HTC makes good hardware. Your wife likes the iPhone's big screen and solid browser. If you're not in New York or San Francisco, then her iPhone probably doesn't suffer many of the problems that AT&T has been having with their network. T-Mobile's 3G is just as fast. Technically, I would argue that the Dash is a more capable business device, plus the Opera browser for WinMo devices is pretty good, but the legacy WinMo doesn't hold a candle to Apple's form factor.

The Apple will work in Europe too, just check with AT&T about rates, etc.
Make light!

LMFAO!! Max, you fuckin crackhead....you sound like my brother in law.....

Brother in law is upgrading me to a storm2 sometime this week so I guess my pin will change too...I'm tired of fucking with the trackballs, but on a better note my curve has taken an unbelievable ass whippin from hell and never quit or fucked up..I pulled this bitch out of a puddle of water even, shook it off, and still workin...I've seen the orignal storms take a serious beating also hope the 2's can hang....so anybody wondering about the water resistance or ruggedness of the BB's ....I drive these motherfuckers like I stole em, and they keep on keeping on...

Max I upgraded my BBM a while back I never got the barcode for the dz group..where you fuckers at I miss the confrences...LOL
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

DD you should have my pin you're in my ver3 dz group...I'm running 5.0.0.57 now. max just sent the invite but I only see max in the new group do I need to move everybody over??

See what happens when I don't crackberry with ya'll, I get left playin catch up. LOL
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell