shropshire

Weird, unwired network problem

Hi folks.. can one of you network aces please help a chap out?

Where I am at the moment, there is a WiFi network with 2 laptops. (mine running XP and the other Windows 7). There is also a desktop P.C (XP) that is wired into the Router (Netgear).

The problem is that the Windows 7 laptop keeps losing Internet connectivity (since we had a power cut the other day!! - All was O.K before hand) and I can only make it permenant by unplugging the wired desktop P.C.

So it looks like an i/p conflict problem - except that it isn't - looking at each P.C they all have diferent i/p addresses (given to themby the router) and the Router Admin log-on Utils show 3 different connections with seperate i/p's.

I have :-
  • Rebooted the router and all P.Cs
  • Tried different port on the router for the Desktop
  • Ipconfig /release and renew all P.Cs (but they all have different addresses anyway)

So WTF is going on?

P.S my Dell Netbook is having no problems at all:D:D

(.)Y(.)
    Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Go to the Windows 7 machine device manager and uninstall the Wireless NIC ... back to this machine in a minute.

Clear the leases from the router. ipconfig/release and renew all be the Windows 7.

Back to the Windows 7 Machine Scan for changes or reboot the machine. Reconnect to the wireless network and see what happens.
    My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Thanks

I can't see how to clear the DHCP table on this router (DG834G) ... without Resetting to factory settings[:/] ... I did power it [:/]down foir a couple of hours ... No Joy....

I'll keep on RTFMing:)

(.)Y(.)

I am having the same issue with my sons Playstation 3. Power company came out and change the power meter to a digital one shuting power off to the house, funny they never notified us about it. Anyway my sons PS3 was on at the time now it will not find the wireles router but everything else we have has no problem finding it.
    Kirk
    He's dead Jim

Hi folks.. can one of you network aces please help a chap out?

Where I am at the moment, there is a WiFi network with 2 laptops. (mine running XP and the other Windows 7). There is also a desktop P.C (XP) that is wired into the Router (Netgear).

The problem is that the Windows 7 laptop keeps losing Internet connectivity (since we had a power cut the other day!! - All was O.K before hand) and I can only make it permenant by unplugging the wired desktop P.C.

So it looks like an i/p conflict problem - except that it isn't - looking at each P.C they all have diferent i/p addresses (given to themby the router) and the Router Admin log-on Utils show 3 different connections with seperate i/p's.

I have :-

• Rebooted the router and all P.Cs
  • Tried different port on the router for the Desktop
  • Ipconfig /release and renew all P.Cs (but they all have different addresses anyway)

So WTF is going on?

P.S my Dell Netbook is having no problems at all:D:D

• Could this be a UK based Windows 7 update quirk - cause we have had the identical problem on a Windows 7 PC since the middle of last week! It is also wirelessly connected. My daughter is going nuts without the internet:D
    Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I'l take a look in the morning - to see which service are running etc... but can't see it being that myself - ta. I think that it's a router (or the desk top P.C) problem as the lappies would not have been affected by the power outage (Router and Desktop).

(.)Y(.)

While you're at it see if you can re-start the DHCP service as well. Not saying that's it but trying to eliminate the easy stuff first.

------------------------------------------
    Also...if you know the default admin password for netgear routers are you able to access the device using the default gateway IP? I would tool around in the config utility for the router and see if you can set it back to default settings and see if that makes a difference.