ryoder

Anyone have details on this emergency bailout video?

Doesn't look like an 'N' number...but can't see it real clear on my little screen.

How about now?

If that is a "CC" prefix, it is Chile.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Been looking through the aviation reports from around the world and can't find anything yet. Must have been overseas though, the video doesn't have the usual annoying commercials.

Makes me think about all the poor bastards shot down during the war from 30,000 ft. It gave them a long time to think about it.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

[reply......

Do they re-use numbers down there?

Now that is strange. The Cessna photo was taken in 2004 and the Compair photo was taken Oct 2007 and states that the plane was new then.

Edit to add - The DC-6 shown below the 206 in your link also seems to have carried the CC-PJE reg #. Photo taken 1980.

How old is the video?

How many (including pilot) didn't get out? Was the pilot wearing a bailout rig? You can see the cameraman got out, and the other skydiver who was moving to the door gets chucked out right after the video guy gets out, but I didn't notice any other canopies.

Most interesting to me was the short period of time between when the first group left and the plane started falling and when everyone got pinned that everyone was just sitting around looking at each other like "WTF?" Was the pilot telling them to stay in? It does look like at one point they got a "get the fuck out" from the pilot because the one guy shoos another out the door right before they got pinned.

Somebody please weigh in. Huge educational opportunity here...

Elvisio "news to me" Rodriguez

From the movements of the tandem pair, I'd bet the pilot was behind helping push them out and then followed.

Don't you mean "the pilot was trying to get the hell out, and the tandem pair got in his way"?:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

From the movements of the tandem pair, I'd bet the pilot was behind helping push them out and then followed.

Don't you mean "the pilot was trying to get the hell out, and the tandem pair got in hie way"?:ph34r:

Why would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane? :)

Most interesting to me was the short period of time between when the first group left and the plane started falling and when everyone got pinned that everyone was just sitting around looking at each other like "WTF?" Was the pilot telling them to stay in? It does look like at one point they got a "get the fuck out" from the pilot because the one guy shoos another out the door right before they got pinned.

Somebody please weigh in. Huge educational opportunity here...

That's not what happened, that's what was edited together for the show.

The first two-way on the step left as the plane stalled. The video cuts to a camera inside the plane, ten seconds behind the camera on the step. You can see the guy in the door is the same guy from both cameras. It's just a poor time-line in the editing, not a case of jumpers sitting around doing nothing.

If you notice from the inside video, as soon as the plane stalls, the jumpers are indeed pinned to the roof, and are probably working their way toward the door. I would also guess, based on the editing, that the other fun jumpers on board probably got out as well, but they didn't have a clear shot of those exits.

As for the pilot, who knows? There are a bunch of pilots in larger jumpships (larger than a 182/206) who don't wear bailout rigs. I've never seen one on a Caravan pilot, how about a PAC, any of those guys wear a rig?

If it is a Compair, it's a homebuilt similar in size to a PAC, can be powered by a piston or turbine engine, and I'm pretty sure they have pilot doors. Here's hoping he had a rig, and an easy time rolling out his door...

[reply..................... If it is a Compair, it's a homebuilt similar in size to a PAC, can be powered by a piston or turbine engine, and I'm pretty sure they have pilot doors. Here's hoping he had a rig, and an easy time rolling out his door...

From the pilotdave's translated page: "Update: the plane crashed, and the paratroopers jumped, one of which he took with him the pilot." :o