skymama

Xtreme Eating Awards 2010

The "Center for Science in the Public Interest" has released its list if worst restaurant food in America. Some of these foods make me want to gag!

Will people stop eating this crap when restaurants will have to list the nutritional info on their menus? Have any of you eaten any of these items?

I don't eat out very much because of the hidden calories in so many dishes. I prefer to use those calories for my wine consumption. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

That stuff looks yummy. I've had 5 Guys Burgers but the reat is now on my list, especially the Cheesecake factory desert.

Everything in moderation, including moderation. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Will people stop eating this crap when restaurants will have to list the nutritional info on their menus? Have any of you eaten any of these items?

No. [:/]

I'm with you though, eating out can be a real challenge. Even stuff that seems like it should have a reasonable number of calories often doesn't. I'm boggled that some restaurants can turn a side salad into a 500-calorie thing.

Nutrition info on web sites can be tricky - I think it's PF Changs that has its info ... but most every entree on their menu is 2-4 servings. So you'll look at the "per serving" and it might seem reasonable, but when you do the math - eek! And most of what chain restaurants serve is explicitly designed to get you to eat more (read David Kessler's book for more on that...

I'm all for reasonable indulgence when eating out, but it's tough when (like me) you have to do a lot of it because of work travel and you don't want to make every meal an indulgence. I'm very fortunate to have a great office cafeteria for breakfast and lunch, where I can choose from a lot of healthy options (and portion size options, too) but dinner's more of a challenge for sure.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

That stuff looks yummy. I've had 5 Guys Burgers but the reat is now on my list, especially the Cheesecake factory desert.

Everything in moderation, including moderation. :)

Yeah, Five Guys is definitely not an everyday thing but as fast food burgers go, I'll take 'em over most others - like In N Out they are about the only place that uses real meat and potatoes. It may be high-fat and high-calorie, but at least it's real food.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Boy, that Chocolate Tower Trouble Cake looks good! :)
If I ate a cup of strawberries while watching others eating that, it would ruin my diet on the way home. I knew there was a reason that I've never eaten at that restaurant.

What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

And most of what chain restaurants serve is explicitly designed to get you to eat more

I'm always amazed at home much sodium is added to dishes. I recently saw a report on tv about it and a restaurant owner said that if they don't add extra salt, the customers complain that the food is too bland and they will eat somewhere else. I wish Americans would embrace food being prepared in a more natural way.

Season's 52 is my favorite restaurant. I hope a story never comes out that they're fibbing on their nutritional info, I'll be so disappointed!
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

The "Center for Science in the Public Interest" has released its list if worst restaurant food in America. Some of these foods make me want to gag!

I don't eat out very much because of the hidden calories in so many dishes. I prefer to use those calories for my wine consumption. :P

If I know I am going to have a couple glasses of wine with friends I will cut back on what I have in food calories for that day because the wine is sooooo worth the sacrifice.

I have never had anything on the list nor would I be tempted to (other than the lamb... I love lamb).

I am lucky to have a cafeteria for lunch at work with an awesome salad bar.

I also have an app on my iPhone called Lose It... it allows me to track all my calories and exercise for the day. Accountability is good. I think that nutritional information should be listed with each menu description at restaurants.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

---------------------------------------------------------------
If some of those foods listed makes you want to gag try eating a MRE http://www.mreinfo.com/

I'm not talking about the nice ones they have these days...I'm talking about a damn omelette with ham that has a half life of 8 years from the early 90's when I was in the army. But I tell you what if you haven't eaten all day long that shit STILL tastes halfway decent:P

If I know I am going to have a couple glasses of wine with friends I will cut back on what I have in food calories for that day because the wine is sooooo worth the sacrifice.

I am always "trading" calories like that. I'll gladly forego condiments, butter, dressing, etc. so I can have a piece of chocolate or glass of wine without adding calories to my daily.

a calorie isnt a calorie just because something is 500 or 1000 calories dosnt mean its bad for you

most people dont eat enough calories anyway and they stay pudgy as a result because their body is in overdrive store food mode

an avocado for example is high in fats and protein and high in calories its still really really good for you

as far as fast food goes anything in moderation is fine

They had a segment about this on the morning news on whatever station I had on this AM (NBC, I think). I rarely eat out and try to avoid prepared foods at home. The sodium bothers me a lot more than the calories, I just don't feel good after I eat something like that.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

a calorie isnt a calorie just because something is 500 or 1000 calories dosnt mean its bad for you

most people dont eat enough calories anyway and they stay pudgy as a result because their body is in overdrive store food mode

an avocado for example is high in fats and protein and high in calories its still really really good for you

Oh, I understand that. I've read quite a lot about it and even snack on seemingly fattening almonds most days. But, there are some things like those that I mentioned that have no merit, and that's where my trading comes in. I eat plenty of calories, believe me; I love food!