nancyfrye

looking for skydivers to participate in an online study

Hi - I'm a professor of psychology, and also dating a skydiver. I'm conducting an online research study now, looking at how people perceive the risks of skydiving. I'm looking for skydivers and their spouse/relationship partner who would be willing to spend 30-40 minutes answering questions. Any questions can be left unanswered, and it's possible to save your responses to come back later, if you don't have a 30-40 minute chunk of time all at once.

Here's a link to the study: http://myweb.liu.edu/~nfrye/skydive1/consent.php

All the technical glitches should hopefully have been caught, but if you run into any - or have any questions about the study - please send me an email at [email protected]

For what it's worth, I'm a skydiver...and a professor of psychology, who studies risk taking and risk perception, and alcohol abuse. Go figure.

Lots of free data all around you!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I have skydived a few times, but had a bad meeting with a taxiway that resulted in a broken back. That let me both see the appeal and the risks first hand to skydiving -- which was part of what prompted me to think of doing a study about it. You're right about the experience being hard to put into words!

Hi - I'm a professor of psychology, and also dating a skydiver. I'm conducting an online research study now, looking at how people perceive the risks of skydiving. I'm looking for skydivers and their spouse/relationship partner who would be willing to spend 30-40 minutes answering questions. Any questions can be left unanswered, and it's possible to save your responses to come back later, if you don't have a 30-40 minute chunk of time all at once.

Here's a link to the study: http://myweb.liu.edu/~nfrye/skydive1/consent.php

All the technical glitches should hopefully have been caught, but if you run into any - or have any questions about the study - please send me an email at [email protected]

TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

For what it's worth, I'm a skydiver...and a professor of psychology, who studies risk taking and risk perception, and alcohol abuse. Go figure.

"

I tried both, but when the alcohol abuse started interferring - with the skydiving abuse - I quit alcohol.

At the risk of letting this thread devolve into something intelligent....a while back a colleague (a relationships researcher) and I discussed conducting a study where one partner was a moderate-to-heavy drinker and the other was not, and we would examine (mis)match in partners' perceptions of risk and subsequent real world consequences of alcohol consumption over an extended period of time. The project never came about, but I suspect that many (but certainly not all) of the same underlying mechanisms that we would have observed would manifest themselves in your study as well. I'd be interested in seeing your results when they are eventually ready for publication....

It'd be interesting. I noticed that in your "types of jumps" categorization you left out all student and videographer activity, unless you torture them into being formation skydiving because you're relative to someone. Likewise following students out after dispatching static liners (some of us are old :ph34r:)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I might have to re-think that "do you think it would be interesting to watch a car wreck" question. I just took a look at People of Wal-Mart and I can't seem to tear my eyes away :o

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think I would have set up the questions where you have to assign odds to certain events differently. If I thought I had even a 1% chance of hitting the tail on exit or having a canopy collision or a high speed malfunction or being seriously injured on my next jump, I'd seriously consider quitting. 1% is a significant risk.

As a rough estimate of the odds, I take how many jumps I've done and how many times these things have happened to me. The results are that for most of the events you list, the odds are generally much closer to 0% than they are to 1%, so I answered 0%. The odds are definitely not zero though so I wonder if the resolution of your poll might cause people to underestimate or overestimate the odds and skew the results.

That's a great point - and part of what I'm trying to get at in the study. Different people may think about the likelihoods differently, and use different ways to make estimates of them. Part of what I want to do is see what's related to the likelihoods that people estimate.

I went about it the same way, but I saw the "exit accident" as far less serious -- I've done mostly RW, and hitting the door is just something that happens every now and then. Hitting the tail is different. But my husband never has line twists, and hasn't had any malfunctions; I do get line twists sometimes, and have had malfunctions; so I include those actuals in my calculation of probability (i.e. yeah, I said I had a higher chance of malfunction than my husband does). And I used tenths and hundredths of a percent, although even then the chance of fatality and very serious injury are probably overstated.

Wendy P.

See I didn't even realise I could use 10ths or 100ths of a percent. I just used the slider and had a choice of 0% or 1% so I either grossly overestimate the risk or ignore it altogether. Neither are a true reflection of what I think.