scydyv

Wing loading

just want to get a general opinion on wing loadings, most importantly what is rated as radical and what is not. I jump a pilot 150 and wing loading has worked out to be 1:3 is that classed as radical - taking a chance or cool it or do we generally keep it on or under 1:2[:/]

just want to get a general opinion on wing loadings, most importantly what is rated as radical and what is not. I jump a pilot 150 and wing loading has worked out to be 1:3 is that classed as radical - taking a chance or cool it or do we generally keep it on or under 1:2[:/]

That would depend on how many jumps you have, how current you are and things like that.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

If you fill out some of the information in your profile it would help.

Email: No email entered.
Jump Profile
Home DZ: No home dropzone entered.
Gear
Container: No container entered.
Main Canopy: No main entered.
Reserve Canopy: No reserve entered.
AAD: No AAD entered.

Sparky

any wingload can be considered radical really. its just a matter of how you fly your canopy. i fly a canopy wiht a wingload of just over 1.3:1 and ive got over 500 jumps. i can swoop that thing just about as far as any one on my dropzone. we dont have that many big time swoopers though. but like i said its really jsut a matter of how you fly the canopy. but still beware cuase it can hurt you.

Some of the suggested formula data in prior posts would indicate a 150 loaded at 1.3lb/sf "should" not be jumped by someone with less than 400 jumps experience - one hundred jumps for each .1 pound per square feet over 1:1, plus an extra one hundred jumps for the canopy being a 150. (Actually, I can't recall if the "short lines penalty" applies to a 150 sf canopy or canopies below 150 sf.)

As to whether you are taking a chance, we are all taking chances. What could most people here say about whether your equipment and your skills represent "too much" of a risk?

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Brian Germain designs parachutes, teaches canopy flight, and has piles more experience than most of us probably including your instructors.

He has a WNE Wing loading Never Exceed forumula:

Never exceed 1.0 pounds/square foot, + .1 /100 jumps (rounding down), - .2 for canopies under 150 square feet, -.1 for every 1000 feet of density altitude.

200 jumps lets you have a 1.3 wing loading when jumping under standard conditions at sea level.

Here is Brian's chart.

Wing loading / Number of Jumps
1.0 / <100
1.1 / 100-199
1.2 / 200-299
1.3 / 300-399
1.4 / 400-499
1.5 / 500-599
1.6 / 600-699
1.7 / 700-799
1.8 / 800-899
1.9 / 900-999
2.0 / 1000+

Subtract at least one point for every 2000feet of elevation or density altitude above mean see level
If you fly in a location that often experiences conditions of low air pressure due to high temperature and humidity, you should reduce the WNE by at least one point.
Subtract two points for canopies under150 square feet.

Sparky

Bored at the DZ one rainy day and came up with wingloading risk calculators. The second was created from a Parachutist article several years ago.

Not everyone will agree with the results because they are pretty conservative.

This is only two pages out of my DZ Utilities file.

Hope this helps.

Blues.

Blue skies,

Jim