kkeenan

SF - to - Seattle - What to do ?

Did that a few years ago.
Go to Crater Lake -- if you haven't been there, cresting the road to head down is a fabulous moment.
Camp in the redwood forest, then go out at night. With all the trees, it's so dark you can't see.
If you like wine, go to wine country & sample away.
Go to the Tillamook cheese factory & take the tour
Eat some geoduck clams
step on the San Andreas fault
drive up US1 right along the beach on a motorcycle

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Wendy's got some great ideas. I love camping in the Redwoods.

Tillamook has a great airplane museum. You can drop into McMinnville, OR and tour the Spruce Goose. Many of the beach towns along the coast rent motor scooters and horses you can ride on the beach. Go kite flying.

If you go thru Portland, check out Powell's Bookstore. Great selection of new and used. Vskydiver and I end up in there every time we go to Portland. Go to the Deschutes Brewery for happy hour, good food and great :D. Enjoy the excellent streetcar system they have.

Seattle has a the very nice Museum of Flight at Boeing Field, always a good stop. Also lots of shops, pubs, clubs. Go to the top of the Space Needle and get a better view of the rain.:D

Point Reyes National Seashore north of SF is Awesome!

If you like Hot Springs, Oregon has lots in nice forested mountains.
Cougar Hot Springs is a multilevel series of natural baths scalding on the upper one, each one getting cooler as they staircase down the ravine. An hour from Eugene
http://oregonhotsprings.immunenet.com/cougar.htm

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

Lassen Volcanic National Park. Camping, hiking, a mountain to climb, solitude even on day hikes, geological and historical points of interest, nice scenery.

If you're at all into history, the Sacramento area has loads of gold rush related things to see.

The redwoods on the northern California coast are amazing.

The Oregon coast is cool. Touristy and expensive, but pretty with lots of public beach access.

The Columbia River Gorge (OR/WA border) is gorgeous. Numerous "beach" access points, a side trip past some cool waterfalls, interesting physical and cultural geography.

I would travel east and spend a few days in Yosemite NP. From there travel north/northwest to the Redwoods and spend a few days. Many great day hikes in the Redwoods and some multi-day. Then up to Portland. I would skip Crater Lake if you were short on time. Portland has some hip areas to check out. Do not miss HK-1(AKA Spruce Goose) and pay the extra cash to sit in the left seat! Do some research on the plane and it will make your visit much more interesting! Mt St Helens is grand and plan a couple of days exploring the park, visitors center and lava tubes. If the weather is good, you can hike the crater(I waited 3 days and weather never cleared). Check out Blue Sky Outfitters if you want some very cool rafting trips. Mt Rainier NP is awesome! Seattle.....nuff said......but, I found the Islands west of Seattle very cool and San Juan was the best for whale watching.

Lots of great things up there!:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"