NWFlyer

Waiting for "Superman"

(Hoping we can keep this in Bonfire by focusing on the movie more than the issues it discusses ... we'll see!)

Anyone else seen this yet? I know it's just getting into wider release after a very limited opening a couple weeks ago.

Just got home from the theater and all I can say about this documentary is "Wow." The director (Davis Guggenheim) took what can seem like a very abstract subject and made it very personal by weaving the story around several children across the country whose neighborhood schools are failing and who were trying to gain admission to alternatives (charter or magnet schools) via lotteries. You get to know and really dig these kids and their families, and as a viewer you become pretty invested in the outcome of their lottery results.

Mixed in among these personal stories are the bigger themes; the failures of the system, the failures of government to do much about it, the intractability of unions, the reforms that work and what hasn't worked. The documentary style reminded me of Food Inc. with clever use of graphics/cartoons to make points and bring statistics to life. But really, the heart of the movie is the stories it tells, and it tells them very powerfully.

I can't recommend this movie highly enough - it's easily one of the best documentaries I've ever watched. And I say that even though I could see some definite flaws in it. He holds up charter schools as a model for reform, but also points out that only a small percentage of charter schools outperform public schools. I would have liked to see a little more of the "whys" on that question. The film is strongly biased against the teachers' unions, to the point where I wish there'd been a little more balance in the portrayal.

http://www.waitingforsuperman.com/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/waiting_for_superman/
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I've heard a lot of buzz on this one, including Guggenheim's interview on the Colbert Report. I'm definitely going to see this one. Valinda and I assume most educational failures start in the home, and that children given a good home can succeed in any school system. I'm sure we're somewhat wrong on that. I'll be interested to see what this show has to say. :)

I've heard a lot of buzz on this one, including Guggenheim's interview on the Colbert Report. I'm definitely going to see this one. Valinda and I assume most educational failures start in the home, and that children given a good home can succeed in any school system. I'm sure we're somewhat wrong on that. I'll be interested to see what this show has to say. :)

You're not wrong John, your kids would have succeeded in pretty much any school system. How well they achieve is in part determined by both as well as the peers that they adopt at school.

But having a good supportive home structure will make my (and all other teachers) jobs immeasurably easier.
The vast majority of my kids are with me because they lacked a supportive home environment, or their views of education are as a punitive measure or almost worthless pursuit.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Skykid started home schooling last year , partially to get away from the Caldian (sp?) gangs, and partially because his Freeriding calls for a lot of travel!

In one week he learns more than he did in 3 months of regular school, and He only attends class for one hour, (less usually) a week...

Schools have been dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, holding back smarter students...[:/] and boring the hell out of the very fast learners!

In one week he learns more than he did in 3 months of regular school, and He only attends class for one hour, (less usually) a week...

I totally agree with that. Teachers have to spend so much time on admin crap and disciplining students they have little time for actually teaching, and never teaching at the level of the brightest. [:/]